Will Tavares be a lifetime islander?

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Really thought this was the year the team was going to make a statement saying "We've arrived"..Hope JT stays, but if ownership isn't going to help him I can't blame him for leaving.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
its hard to say really, and i dont think i could blame him if he left if the ineptitude continues, but i see him being a career islander, and i wouldnt say that about most players in the league.

there are only a few players in the league where a paycheck doesnt mean as much as being the best, and Tavares is one of those guys.that being said, hes also the type of player that deserves a good supporting cast, if he does stay a career islander, i pray that they trade him to a cup contender at the twilight of his career, just so he can raise a cup ala ray bourque style in colorado.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just stop with the solid future crap. I've been getting sold on that **** since the mid 90's with Eric Fichaud, Bryan McCabe, and Bryan Berard. Here are the facts:

Tavares - awesome
Vanek - will be gone before the season ends
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Bailey - As soft and heartless player there is.
Grabner - See Bailey
Clutterbuck - Does what he needs to. A contributer to the bottom six
Strome - Jury is out, can be great or can end up as Tim Connolly
Martin - Mr. Esiason is missing that edge to his game
Mcdonald - needs to go away
Regin - Needs to go away
Cizikas - Core bottom sixer
Nelson - Jury is out
Hamonic - Playing like last years playoffs have gone to his head. Not doing the little things that make him successful. Stop trying to be an offensive D-man
Amac - playing too many minutes, exposed
Vis - Will be gone way too soon to have made a true impact
Strait - Sucks
De Haan -Jury is still out
Ness - Sucks
Nabokov - probably his last year
Poulin/Nilsson - have no idea what these two are, I don't think they know either

Anyone not in the NHL don't sell me on future because the future doesn't help them put up wins now.

This team this year is a direct result of not bringing in outside talent to push these players. They are all complacent and have never really had to work for their jobs at this level. They were merely given to them. They have no panic button to turn it up a notch. Same with Capuano.

I agree with a lot of this except for two...

Grabner has heart, he just doesn't have a finishing skills. He's doing everything else right though

Vis - he's done....he won't play this year and he'll retire out of the NHL. The silence during this lets me know that he had his clocked cleaned too badly to play another game in the NHL (see Kenny Jonsson)

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
Just stop with the solid future crap. I've been getting sold on that **** since the mid 90's with Eric Fichaud, Bryan McCabe, and Bryan Berard. Here are the facts:

Tavares - awesome
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Grabner - See Bailey
Regin - Needs to go away
Nelson - Jury is out
Hamonic - Playing like last years playoffs have gone to his head. Not doing the little things that make him successful. Stop trying to be an offensive D-man
Strait - Sucks
Ness - Sucks
Poulin/Nilsson - have no idea what these two are, I don't think they know either

Anyone not in the NHL don't sell me on future because the future doesn't help them put up wins now.

This team this year is a direct result of not bringing in outside talent to push these players. They are all complacent and have never really had to work for their jobs at this level. They were merely given to them. They have no panic button to turn it up a notch. Same with Capuano.

That was an excellent post and pretty spot on. My only disagreements would be Amac and Grabner.

Amac needs to go, and I'm sick of the too many minutes, not playing at his level bullcrap. The guy has been a failure at every minute that he plays on the ice. I cringe seeing Amac and Hickey on the same pairing because you always know they are going to get trapped in their own zone and give up great scoring opportunities.

And Grabner is what he is. He's a speed demon that can generate chances but has a problem finishing them. At least he gives a **** out there unlike Bailey.

Sorry, didn't want to nitpick on an excellent post but thought I would add my two cents.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Doesn't matter how the team is doing when the contract is up. If he doesn't see playoff games this year and the next two years, the last year or so won't matter. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I agree with just about everything. However, I think it is incorrect to just say "the jury is still out" on Strome, Nelson and de Haan. Yes they are unproven but we have a history of doing nothing when it comes to developing players! Our future stars usually develop somewhere else (Chara, Bertuzz etc). If we're going to keep signing the Peter Regin's and PMB's of the free agent class then yes they are unproven because you can't improve if you're playing with crappy players. If they actually go out and get REAL players that will help them in their development then I have every reason to think the future is bright. Of course that likely won't happen but hey, what else do we have at this point than to dream??

Tavares - awesome
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Grabner - See Bailey
Regin - Needs to go away
Nelson - Jury is out
Strait - Sucks
Ness - Sucks

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
Garth Snow's approach of throwing poop against the wall and hoping something sticks has to come to and end. If the UFA's that are targeted do not sign with us, then go with some of the promising young guys. Stop picking up garbage like PMB, Regin and so on. Stop the insanity, please. As for the topic, hard to say. We have no clue what kind of relationship he has with ownership. Players at the age of 27 don't usually demand to go to cup contenders to win, that happens mid 30's. I don't see him leaving after his next contract, but I don't see him signing anything super long term either, not until the organization steps up and shows they are willing to do what it takes to compete.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Doesn't matter how the team is doing when the contract is up. If he doesn't see playoff games this year and the next two years, the last year or so won't matter. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...

So, he's gone then according to what you are saying. There is NO WAY this team makes the playoffs this year. I disagree that he's made up his mind already. I think it would take a lot more than one poor season. This is the first poor season that occurred when the team thought they were really capable of more. I, personally, think it will come down to the team's commitment to winning. If Snow/Wang make moves to right the ship, I think the team will have success and he'll stay. If we continue on the shoestring budget, he's gone.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Im hoping that since Moulson isnt doing a whole lot in buffalo his asking price wont be to high and he realizes how much easier tavares makes things for him. On the flip side we have a better player in Vanek but he has no chemistry with JT, hopefully the islanders can mend the bridge with Moulson sign him in the offseason and act like this train wreck of a season never happened. I do think committing to Moulson can make it easier to resign JT when the time comes.

islesdave

Jul 24, 2006
Bellmore
Some GM out there will pay Moulson 6.5 million dollars, and it won't be Snowang. Moulson and Vanek are both 6-7-13 since the trade, JT and Vanek haven't really developed the chemistry that he and Moulson had, remember that was developed over years when they were kids, not just on LI. I can't wait to see the shenanigans that Wang pulls next year when the floor, that's right the salary floor is 55 or so million bucks, 16 million more than the original cap. They'll guarantee Reinhart and his 3 million cap hit, as well as this year's 1st round pick a spot so there's 6 million taken care of.
I wish the NHL would step in and kick this a**hat of a crook out and run the team. At least we'd have a shot of being competitive. :help:

Bluejaysfan*

This. Is. Awesome.

I apologize if I am blatantly stating the obvious, but this interview was done in 2009. Is it safe to assume that he still feels this way with what has been going on in the franchise? I am not trying to be rude, simply asking a question.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
I apologize if I am blatantly stating the obvious, but this interview was done in 2009. Is it safe to assume that he still feels this way with what has been going on in the franchise? I am not trying to be rude, simply asking a question.

i could not agree more....still plenty of time to turn this around for the future, but lets not kid ourselves that saying the PC thing in order to be the 1st overall draftpick is the same as our current situation.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

What has been going on with the franchise?

They got a new arena in Brooklyn.
They made the playoffs last year for the first time since '07, with JT leading the way.
They traded to get him an elite winger to play with, even if it is just for this season.

The team has taken a step back so far this season, but honestly that was expected for most of us (especially with injuries on defense and the departure of Streit). I believe the team will spend money going into Brooklyn and if they do that, I couldn't possibly see how JT could be upset with what the organization has done or has been doing (considering it's exactly what they said they were going to do) other than having an abysmal coach.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Some GM out there will pay Moulson 6.5 million dollars, and it won't be Snowang. Moulson and Vanek are both 6-7-13 since the trade, JT and Vanek haven't really developed the chemistry that he and Moulson had, remember that was developed over years when they were kids, not just on LI. I can't wait to see the shenanigans that Wang pulls next year when the floor, that's right the salary floor is 55 or so million bucks, 16 million more than the original cap. They'll guarantee Reinhart and his 3 million cap hit, as well as this year's 1st round pick a spot so there's 6 million taken care of.
I wish the NHL would step in and kick this a**hat of a crook out and run the team. At least we'd have a shot of being competitive. :help:

In theory the NHL will be obligated to get involved due to Wang taking a revenue sharing check while yet again icing a POS salary near the floor despite the intention of the revenue sharing check.

But it remains to be seen if they will actually do what they said they would do, what it says in the CBA they must do.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I believe that Wang will have a deal to sell the team by the end of the season.
We may not be happy with the new ownership with the exception that it is not Wang.
All else that follows depends on this.

Tavares will likely leave after his deal is up, but not before. His agent would be negligent to allow JT to not see what is in his best interest, and by that I mean what is important to him, not just money. Shane Doan stayed with the Yotes his whole career and won nothing. Doan is a very nice player, was an Olympian and All-Star, but those were the height of his career individually. As a team member he was given no chance to win a championship, something I think JT wants very much.

If new ownership is not capable in reforming the on ice product and willing to spend the money to do it, Tavares will leave. He could demand where he wants to go, but that doesn't always work out (see Rick Nash). Toronto is is hometown team but they are not a contender. Pittsburgh in the East, Hawks, Sharks, Nucks, Ducks, Kings in the West might be destinations for a 27 year old Tavares.

Whoever listed our roster and ranked the players had it right with maybe Grabner as an exception, but Grabner is unique and brings enough to be a good role player on the bottom 6. Waiting for Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan to be our defense will take many years. None of these kids will make any difference in the next 2-3 years, they will be young rookies learning their positions under pressure with no solid vets helping them, they will not be All-Stars arriving on their first shifts. Plenty to learn and plenty of pain. JT will have made up his mind if the team has not been revamped.
It can be done but not without spending. The Hawks did it bringing in Sharp, Kane, Hossa, and goaltending. Their defense was drafted, only Toews was drafted from their core of forwards. If the new Islander ownership commits to that and executes well, JT will remain an Islander. If not......he will be wearing another uniform on his next contract. Can not blame his.

Bluejaysfan*

What has been going on with the franchise?

They got a new arena in Brooklyn.
They made the playoffs last year for the first time since '07, with JT leading the way.
They traded to get him an elite winger to play with, even if it is just for this season.

The team has taken a step back so far this season, but honestly that was expected for most of us (especially with injuries on defense and the departure of Streit). I believe the team will spend money going into Brooklyn and if they do that, I couldn't possibly see how JT could be upset with what the organization has done or has been doing (considering it's exactly what they said they were going to do) other than having an abysmal coach.

I dunno, I was reading through this thread and people brought up issues involving ownership and such. Just because they have money to spend in a new location, does not mean things are guaranteed to get better. Considering that nowadays, FA is just filled with old veterans and solid role players that get overpayed due to the market. Once in a while there may be a star available in FA but that happens less and less nowadays. Spending money does not always equate to success and I think a player like Tavares cares more about winning than making a FA splash that at best, marginally improves the team.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
wouldn't suprise me if hes not in orange and blue when they move to brooklyn. why would he waste his career toiling away with this pathetic excuse of a franchise?
Because playing in Brooklyn is better than Nassau. Big market team. A lot for a guy in his 20s to do in NYC, and sponsorship deals will come.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->