Will Monahan/Gaudreau be better than Iginla?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Just going to throw this one out there. I know a lot has been made out of Gaudreau's road woes this season but what hasn't been pointed out is that his home dominance is... special. These are the players to have 50 home points in the past seven seasons:

And remember, some of this data goes back to a higher scoring sub-era.

HYUjfUp.png

And we still have two home games left...

Yea but St.Louis was a secondary player :laugh:

Anyone that knows that home team gets last change would expect their star players to get more points at home.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
You guys are all crazy. :laugh:

You're talking like it's a given they each will be around for 10+ seasons - do you realize how rare that is? Even if the player can stay healthy, its unlikely they stay with the same team.
I think even combining Johnny & Monny's points, I'd be damn happy with them reaching Iggy's totals.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

You're talking like it's a given they each will be around for 10+ seasons - do you realize how rare that is? Even if the player can stay healthy, its unlikely they stay with the same team.
I think even combining Johnny & Monny's points, I'd be damn happy with them reaching Iggy's totals.

False, in a cap era core players often stay with their teams for the duration of their careers. It's rare that star players like Stamkos change teams. It's the exception, not the norm. Teams do their best to lock up their core long term so they don't risk losing them. It's far more likely that Johnny and Mony will play most of their careers in Calgary than not.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He will definitely crack 80 pts but I'm just saying it'll be extremely tough for him to have the number of those 80-90+ pts seasons like Iginla had (given how league scoring is like nowadayas), which means it will be tough for him to put up more points than Iginla as a Flame, which was the question asked by the OP. And what's really underrated is that Iginla stayed here for a long, long time, and you never know what could happen with anyone on the current team.

When the team gets a lot better, I also think that the outcome will likely not be Gaudreau pushing for 90+ points, rather it'll be the likes of Monahan, Bennett, other top 6 forwards, Brodie, and Hamilton increasing their point totals by a significant margin.

I feel like JG already has a as good or better centerman than Iggy ever did which should make up for how much harder it is to score in todays league imo.

I don't see how when Monahan and the top D start scoring more you don't think JG will also get some points from that, for me I don't think we have seen the best from JG yet and I think he will be able to push for 90 points next year with a decent pp. Not to mention if Monahan can draw more attention to himself by increasing his scoring that should give JG a little more room on the ice giving him a better chance to generate points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know why anyone would think that a player in their 2nd season has peaked? It's logical to think he will continue to improve.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I feel like JG already has a as good or better centerman than Iggy ever did which should make up for how much harder it is to score in todays league imo.

I don't see how when Monahan and the top D start scoring more you don't think JG will also get some points from that, for me I don't think we have seen the best from JG yet and I think he will be able to push for 90 points next year with a decent pp. Not to mention if Monahan can draw more attention to himself by increasing his scoring that should give JG a little more room on the ice giving him a better chance to generate points.

I think there's a clear difference between finishing tops in the league scoring rankings and getting a certain # of points, and it is difficult for the current best NHL players to produce similar numbers from 5-10 years ago. Just look at the point totals for the top 5 scorers 5-10 years ago and compare with the top 5 scorers in the last several years, there's a clear difference.

That's all I'm trying to say towards the OP. I will make it clear that I never said JG won't crack 90 points, I said it will be extremely hard to have the number of 90 points seasons. Even though JG has a better center than Iginla ever had, it will be very, very hard for him to push towards 90 points consistently, let alone for any top player in the league like Crosby, Seguin, Benn, Malkin, Kuznetsov, and etc.

I think a much better question will be to ask if Johnny will finish top x in league scoring more than Iginla has.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the NHL is committed to increase scoring, and they will. Goalie equipment is already being reduced. Goal scoring sells the league, it sells merchandise, they increase fantasy sports. I predict we will see multiple 100pt scorers again within a couple of seasons.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I did this at the beginning of the year, Some things changed so i will do it again. My math was a bit wrong int he first one, but oh well. it should been 153 not with Calgary and not 133.

Iginla has 1228 points. 133 not with Calgary. That leaves him with 1095 points. Take away the 69 that Gaudreau has and you get 1027 points that he has to make up. Right now Gaudreau would have to average 64.125 points until the age of 37 to surpass Iginla.

1095/17(seasons Iginla played in Calgary) = 64.41. Gaudreau = 1026/16(1 season played already, 69 points altogether) = 64.125 points

Gaudreau would have to maintain a 64.125 point average to get to the same amount as Iginla in the same amount of years.

I'm not sure how Gaudreau will do because there are so many factors that could happen in 17 seasons. 63-65points in today's NHL is a feat in itself now. He has already surpassed that, but there will be up years and down years. There might be a boost in points potentially when or if expansion happens, so there's that. Everything else is up in the air.

Iginla now has 1270 points. 197 not with Calgary. That leaves him with 1073 with Calgary.

1073/17= 63.11 Points per season for Iggy when he was with the Flames.

916= Iginla's games played with Calgary - Gaudreau's games played with Calgary
17-15 = 2 seasons that Johnny has played.

Gaudreau 916/15 = 61.07 to match Iggy he would need to play 15 more seasons and average 61.07 Points a season to match Iginla's totals in Calgary.

At this pace Gaudreau is going - 140/157 = .892 PPG

.892 x 916 =817. Gaudreau will only need to play 817 games to match Iginla at his current pace rather than the 938 games he has less than Iginla, currently.

with 15 seasons left - 817/15 = 54.46 points per season. He would only need average 54.46 the rest of his career and he should match Iggy.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think there's a clear difference between finishing tops in the league scoring rankings and getting a certain # of points, and it is difficult for the current best NHL players to produce similar numbers from 5-10 years ago. Just look at the point totals for the top 5 scorers 5-10 years ago and compare with the top 5 scorers in the last several years, there's a clear difference.

That's all I'm trying to say towards the OP. I will make it clear that I never said JG won't crack 90 points, I said it will be extremely hard to have the number of 90 points seasons. Even though JG has a better center than Iginla ever had, it will be very, very hard for him to push towards 90 points consistently, let alone for any top player in the league like Crosby, Seguin, Benn, Malkin, Kuznetsov, and etc.

I think a much better question will be to ask if Johnny will finish top x in league scoring more than Iginla has.

Yet you list Kuznetsov? You mean the guy who is right there with Gaudreau but Johnny blew his rookie season out of the water? Not to mention while an incredible player gets to rid shotgun on the top team in the NHL?

I don't disagree that it takes some special players to be in the top year after year. But you contradict yourself almost.

4Flames

Sep 2, 2015
Canada
I love Sean and Johnny, but Iggy was the greatest player in Flames history. In terms of points, I think they can do it, but when it comes to being a good leader, and a physical player too, I think they won't get to the same level as Iggy. Also, I don't think either of them will win a Rocket Richard Trophy, let alone two.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I love Sean and Johnny, but Iggy was the greatest player in Flames history. In terms of points, I think they can do it, but when it comes to being a good leader, and a physical player too, I think they won't get to the same level as Iggy. Also, I don't think either of them will win a Rocket Richard Trophy, let alone two.

They also probably won't have a very many 65 point seasons in the middle of their careers

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Yet you list Kuznetsov? You mean the guy who is right there with Gaudreau but Johnny blew his rookie season out of the water? Not to mention while an incredible player gets to rid shotgun on the top team in the NHL?

I don't disagree that it takes some special players to be in the top year after year. But you contradict yourself almost.

I don't know why it's hard for you to understand the main idea of my post :laugh:

I'm saying it takes an incredible season for any top player (better or not better than JG), for example the players I listed, to post that kind of numbers, and that does not mean I said Kuznetsov is a better player than Gaudreau.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'm a huge Iginla fan (he's the reason I started watching hockey) but Gaudreau is already pulling ahead of him offensively, putting up points at a greater pace at the same age (although Iginla's best season was at 23, and it'll be interesting to see how Gaudreau's season next year compares). And Gaudreau doesn't need Monahan to produce; he could do it with anybody who isn't a complete plug.

Not saying Gaudreau is guaranteed to end up with a better career than Iginla (definitely not an easy thing to do), but he does have a chance.

Last edited:

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
I'm a huge Iginla fan (he's the reason I started watching hockey) but Gaudreau is already pulling ahead of him offensively, putting up points at a greater pace at the same age. And Gaudreau doesn't need Monahan to produce; he could do it with anybody who isn't a complete plug.

Not saying Gaudreau is guaranteed to end up with a better career than Iginla (definitely not an easy thing to do), but he does have a chance.

The issue here isn't Johnny and Mony. It's fleshing out a team around them ala the Blackhawks, Ducks and Kings. These 2 can easily score 40 each for the next decade while we stay in the hell hole that is Flames hockey. We need goalies and a new coach. Hartley road a wave last year much like Sutter did in 03-04. He has made many bad decisions this year and is an angry bitter guy who likes to torture goalies.

If they can't do that they will both leave town at the end of there next contract extensions.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Once Hartley leaves after next season, it's a good bet the flames hire a more defensive minded coach.

And just like how Iginla's numbers suffered under the Sutters, it shouldn't surprise anyone if Gaudreau/Monahan/Giordano see a decline of some degree in offensive production as well. At least initially, as they adapt to a different system.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What worries me about Johnny is how durable he is. Yet he's been able to avoid injury all his career and avoids being hit better than anyone, but he won't be able to play 15 seasons with his wrists being whacked at every game and still put up 80 points.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What worries me about Johnny is how durable he is. Yet he's been able to avoid injury all his career and avoids being hit better than anyone, but he won't be able to play 15 seasons with his wrists being whacked at every game and still put up 80 points.

Centres do it all the time and most of them are fine. Judging by Road to the Winter Classic, half of faceoff taking is hacking at dudes like you're splitting wood.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

You need that beast on the RW on that line. It's why a guy like Luč makes sense; whack on the hands? Well, better get ready to have your face pummelled in.

Or you're right. Teams will continue to take advantage of Gaudreau. I'd be surprised if Monny and Johnny end up with 2 career fights between them.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gaudreau for sure.

This.

Unfortunately, Iginla played for a long time as the only star we had on this team. He was a great power forward and best in the league for a couple of years.

I think Johnny has the potential to be the greatest Flame of all time.

Monahan has potential to be a very good player, but not an all-time great one IMO. We'll see if he gets to Iginla status (not entirely impossible).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad