Will Monahan/Gaudreau be better than Iginla?

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I know it's really early in their career. Not to bash Iginla as he was great for the Flames but do you think Monohan and or Gaureau will be better than Iginla by the time their career is over? They definitely have the scoring touch and the skill. If they keep things up and keep improving I think they will have more goals/points than Iginla as a Flame.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Gaudreau could finish with more points, he is the better playmaker IMO.

However Iginla was also incredibly healthy through his career, so Gaudreau would need to continue to do the same.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If we're talking just goals and points? I think so but only cause of one fact: they have each other to complement the other right from the start of their careers and with any luck they'll ride out most of their careers together.

Iggy only had a couple set up guys for periods of his career in Conroy and Tanguay and they certainly weren't on the same level as either Monahan or Gaudreau, or at least what we think their potential will be.

Now in terms of being complete, all 'round players when it comes to leadership or willingness to get his hands dirty when the team needs standing up for? I think Iggy will have them beat by a long mile.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think JG could end up with more points but Iggy was the best goal scorer this team ever had, I can only imagine what they could have done together.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Monahan will have a similar career to Iggy, he strikes me as someone who is very durable and will always look after himself physically. Monahan is not the same physical player Iginla is, but he's a similar goal scorer and both are good playmakers, he also possesses the leadership qualities. I do think he will come close if not surpassing his career totals.

Gaudreau will be the most prolific Flame of all time providing he doesn't miss significant time due to injury. The Flames need to figure out how to get these jerks to stop slashing his wrists or else it's going to become a problem rather quickly. Gaudreau is a good goalscorer but has elite world class vision and hockey sense. I believe he will have multiple 100+ pt seasons in his career and will end up being the greatest Flame to ever play for us. I also think he's going to win Conn Smythe at least once. That guy is a winner, he's his best on the biggest stage and I think he will be drinking from Stanley over the next few seasons.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Iggy was (at least arguably) the best player in the world for a time. I really can't see that ever happening with either of these guys, but if Corey Perry can win a Hart who knows.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
How is he overrated? Have you seen his play and his stats?

He's doing his best moon impression.

As for the question at hand, I agree with UC. Pointswise, Gaudreau could quite possibly pass Iginla but has also had Monahan to play with from the beginning of his career, and also has other good centres on the team like Bennett, Backlund, and soon Jankowski. Another thing to keep in mind is that Iginla played a large portion (approximately half?) of his career in the dead-puck era.

I think Iginla may remain the best all-around player the Flames have ever had when all is said and done, but Johnny and Monahan will definitely be up there points wise.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it's a good point to mention that Gaudreau will have Monahan and Monahan will have Gaudreau (add in Bennett and maybe Janko here). However I think Monahan benefits more from playing with Gaudreau. I think Johnny would still get his points playing with less talented players.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Individually, probably not, no. Iginla's prime is under appreciated, partially because of who he played with (or rather lack there of) but also who he played for (Sutters). Then, there's the fact he lost an entire prime year to a lockout.

Both Gaudreau and Monahan benefit not only from getting to play with each other, but also from having a guy like Bennett behind them, who diverts opponents attention giving them more space or easier competition. Then, there's the fact they play under Hartley's up tempo offensive system as opposed to either Sutter's chloroform like approach.

But I could see Gaudreau getting more points, if he stays healthy enough and remains a Flame for most if not all of his career. Good chance he'll get some help via the reduction in size of goalie equipment.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I'd also like to point out that Monahan's FOW% has gotten significantly better and is now at 51.1%. I am impressed he's come back from a mediocre 1st half of the season.

As for Gaudreau, I really have a tough time seeing him replicate the 80-90+ point seasons Iginla had. To get those numbers in today's NHL is really, really hard as you'll have to be one of the best three or five scorers in the league.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd also like to point out that Monahan's FOW% has gotten significantly better and is now at 51.1%. I am impressed he's come back from a mediocre 1st half of the season.

As for Gaudreau, I really have a tough time seeing him replicate the 80-90+ point seasons Iginla had. To get those numbers in today's NHL is really, really hard as you'll have to be one of the best three or five scorers in the league.

He has 75 points right now in his second season with a craptastic power play. I can see him getting 80+ pretty easily.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Isn't Iggy top ten all time in Goal scoring, and also was the best player in the world during atleast 3-4 seasons... I like Monny and Johnny but it all seriousness Iggy was a generational Powerforward, I sincerely doubt both players reach his goal or points total.

Just checked he is 17th but has a chance of breaking the top 15 by the end of his career.

Last edited:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Odds suggest no.

And I say that about any young player have a better career than Iggy.

We are talking about an all world HOF power forward.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1) NO

Iginla played 20+ years without injury
Iginla was the best player for a couple year

2) YES

Iginla didnt accomplish **** team wise. It's not hard to exceed that.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
He has 75 points right now in his second season with a craptastic power play. I can see him getting 80+ pretty easily.

He will definitely crack 80 pts but I'm just saying it'll be extremely tough for him to have the number of those 80-90+ pts seasons like Iginla had (given how league scoring is like nowadayas), which means it will be tough for him to put up more points than Iginla as a Flame, which was the question asked by the OP. And what's really underrated is that Iginla stayed here for a long, long time, and you never know what could happen with anyone on the current team.

When the team gets a lot better, I also think that the outcome will likely not be Gaudreau pushing for 90+ points, rather it'll be the likes of Monahan, Bennett, other top 6 forwards, Brodie, and Hamilton increasing their point totals by a significant margin.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Just going to throw this one out there. I know a lot has been made out of Gaudreau's road woes this season but what hasn't been pointed out is that his home dominance is... special. These are the players to have 50 home points in the past seven seasons:

And remember, some of this data goes back to a higher scoring sub-era.

HYUjfUp.png

And we still have two home games left...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00