• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He’s gonna be a superstar. If he was playing with Matthews this season he’d have 20 points by now.

Leaf nation is ridiculous when they start comparing our own fantastic young players and pittting them against each other as if they can’t all be great players.

i do think he will be a star, but a superstar would have 20 points by now without having to play with a generational player. If the reason for not having more points is no matthews then it really doesnt say much about marner.

In any case i think he will be a star player and 70+ points this season i think he is there (same for nylander). I think we end up with 1 superstar, 2 stars, 3 excellent complimentary top6 players. And a partridge in a pair tree too

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I dont know how someone can actually watch the games and determine his playmaking isnt elite, or doesnt drive a line, and wont be a star.
Marner has been getting to Mitch of old in last couple weeks. He just went through a rough stretch earlier.
The guy will be a star.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I dont know how someone can actually watch the games and determine his playmaking isnt elite, or doesnt drive a line, and wont be a star.
Marner has been getting to Mitch of old in last couple weeks. He just went through a rough stretch earlier.
The guy will be a star.
He drove the Bozak line ALL year last season, that's all we heard and saw. Can't drive a line, lmao.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Marner will be a Top 10 player from his draft class of 2015.

So Leafs do have a good one in that regard.

Probably.

Watching the Flyers - Flames game yesterday and they were saying Ivan Provorov was voted the Flyers best defensemen last year, and Werenski was 3rd. in Calder voting?
Marner is 3rd. in points for his draft class, Aho is 4th., Boeser has 22 points in his first 26 games (11 goals).

That looks like a good draft class.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dissin' Mitch

1241989_1.jpg

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably.

Watching the Flyers - Flames game yesterday and they were saying Ivan Provorov was voted the Flyers best defensemen last year, and Werenski was 3rd. in Calder voting?
Marner is 3rd. in points for his draft class, Aho is 4th., Boeser has 22 points in his first 26 games (11 goals).

That looks like a good draft class.

McAvoy, Chabot, Carlo, Rantanen and several others I'm sure as well...Barzal, Connor, etc.

As per Marner, he's tracking like a star. Think his game can reach a another level or two, I'm sure, just by internal development and physical maturity concerns. It's tough to put on muscle during the season but right now, he has an adult teenager's physical maturity......whereas a comparable (which was always an extreme) like Kane came in with a far stronger lower base at an analogous age. It will take time.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
15 points in 21 games, even though he's slumped most of this season, still on pace for as many points as his rookie season.

He's fine.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Let’s judge him in the last 20 games and playoffs. My bet he’s invisible again.

Haha someone is upset Marner is playing great now.
He is a great talent and a star.
My thinking(just like anyone with no bias) is that he will continue to look awesome. 2 assists away Bozak. Hmmm interesting

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Folks put way too much emphasis on scoring pace so early on in the season.

It's like heyve already forgotten last season where Nylander had a really cold November and then went on to be near PPG post all star break.

One hot month and the scoring paces of both Marner/Nylander will skyrocket

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McAvoy, Chabot, Carlo, Rantanen and several others I'm sure as well...Barzal, Connor, etc.

As per Marner, he's tracking like a star. Think his game can reach a another level or two, I'm sure, just by internal development and physical maturity concerns. It's tough to put on muscle during the season but right now, he has an adult teenager's physical maturity......whereas a comparable (which was always an extreme) like Kane came in with a far stronger lower base at an analogous age. It will take time.

McAvoy is from 2016, but the others are all promising.

Reactions: firstemperor

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Depends on one's view of what a star is. Maybe not quite that, but not that far off either. Think he'll provide (at least) the production level expected out of a 4th overall and be a very good and important component of the team's success for years to come.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Marner has been a star, and the best player, on any team he has ever played for in his hockey career. What makes the detractors believe, after one and a quarter seasons, that he is not tracking in that direction in the NHL?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner has been a star, and the best player, on any team he has ever played for in his hockey career. What makes the detractors believe, after one and a quarter seasons, that he is not tracking in that direction in the NHL?

really? you think he is tracking toward best player on the team? nobody we have will ever be close to Matthews. 2nd best is up for grabs sure. But no one on the leafs coming close to Matthews.

Reactions: weems

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
No. Overtly relies on teammates to put up points, so prone to slumps. Not a great 2-way option (he had potential there coming into the league but it has since vanished), not a great shot so never a worry to put up a bundle of goals.

Marner's career high in points will be around 70.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He has been pretty much invisible 5-vs-5 since his injury last season. He is playing really soft now, doesn't want to carry/hold on to the puck anymore, imo.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Very exciting times to be a Leafs fan. 3 players that are at least stars. All getting better at the same time. My take on Marner: his slump was multifactorial nut it was kist a slump- still hasnt physically matured, confidence issues, trying to do too much in the ice, and miscasted on a line which at the time dis not produce effectively. He then was relegated to lower scoring lines to tweak other parts of this game and now he's back on the same li e he was on to begin with.

This is all by design. With the exception of injury, we should expect Marner's point production to escalate. it will also be interesting to see if he is paired with Matthews again. Bottom line is this player is a 'star' and will be one of the best players in the game (top 30 forward) sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Last night Marner had 2 assists playing with mathews.....but what people didn't seem to notice is that he had 3 excellent setups that didn't result in goals but could have...
Marner is the type of playmaker who could easily put up 3 or more assists in a lot of games if he had the right linemates......ie no Bozak..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia