Will Matthews score more than Ovechkin by the end of his career?

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Nope. He’s probably closer than people will admit in terms of goal scoring ability, but career wise he has no shot. He’s not near durable enough compared to ovechkin.

Also you should probably be comparing Ovechkin’s gpg at the same age as Matthews instead of career.
Also Ovechkin is pretty much the only high end goal scorer in NHL history that was almost as good at scoring goals in his 30s as he was in his 20s. Nobody can be projected to age like that and Matthews is already past the statistical peak age for goals.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its doubtful. Not a lot of players have aged as well as Ovy has not to mention the guy is an absolute machine who's missed only a handful of games due too injury.

Reactions: User9992

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just off the top of the head, if he scores 40 on average for a decade that takes him to 36 years old, he'll be at 699 goals.

If he scores 50 on average over a decade he'll be at 799, 4th place and still behind Ovechkin.

I doubt he'll get there. Could definitely be top 10 when his career is done, maybe top 5 if he stays healthy and can play long

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You sit here and promise me he plays the amount of games that Ovechkin has played in his career, I would say maybe.

Believe AM already has a couple seasons where he matched or exceeded Ovechkins peak. Issue is like others have said that Matthews simply isn’t as durable as Ovechkin. Will he be able to score 50 in his 30’s. Probably not.

Reactions: Nicko999

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nope. He’s probably closer than people will admit in terms of goal scoring ability, but career wise he has no shot. He’s not near durable enough compared to ovechkin.

Also you should probably be comparing Ovechkin’s gpg at the same age as Matthews instead of career.

Matthews is literally a goal or 2 off at the same age.

Matthews has 299 goals Ovechkin had 300 or 301

So It's very close

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Matthews is literally a goal or 2 off at the same age.

Matthews has 299 goals Ovechkin had 300 or 301

So It's very close
It's 6 seasons to 7 though, so it's different. Matthews obviously will always get the benefit of starting at 19, but if anything it shows Ovechkin was already able to make that difference up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I say yes. But he would need some luck

Didn't someone on here post that ages aligned Matthews is only 7 back?

Reactions: weremarkar

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It's 6 seasons to 7 though, so it's different. Matthews obviously will always get the benefit of starting at 19, but if anything it shows Ovechkin was already able to make that difference up.
In terms of games played, they're basically even though, so its not like Ovi was way outscoring Matthews through his first 481 games. 299 to 305 goals.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You sit here and promise me he plays the amount of games that Ovechkin has played in his career, I would say maybe.

Believe AM already has a couple seasons where he matched or exceeded Ovechkins peak. Issue is like others have said that Matthews simply isn’t as durable as Ovechkin. Will he be able to score 50 in his 30’s. Probably not.
Huh? In what season has Matthews exceeded Ovechkin's peak? Let alone a couple seasons. Peak Ovechkin is closer to peak McDavid than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad