Will Marc Andre Fleury Choke Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There are more than 3...
  1. Calgary - maybe starter or maybe platoon, but Ramo is the only goalie they've got under contract next season
  2. Carolina - big overhaul coming and reportedly shopping Ward hard; likely looking for a guy to platoon with Khudobin
  3. Minnesota - another maybe; Backstrom and Harding are still under contract, but their statuses are a bit up in the air
  4. NY Islanders - no brainer
  5. Pittsburgh - have to be in the market looking for an upgrade over Fleury
  6. St Louis - only have Allen under contract for next season, likely looking for that 1b guy to roll with him
  7. Vancouver - claim they're happy with Markstrom+Lack, but who knows?
  8. Washington - similar to St Louis, looking for a 1b guy to play with Holtby
  9. Winnipeg - another no brainer

Lotta "maybes" and rumors amongst that list. Fact is Minnesota and Carolina have 2 capable goalies. Calgary has Ramo. Vancouver is content with Markstrom & Lack as you stated and Washington merely needs a backup, not a $5 million starter.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If you put Fleury on waivers this summer he goes unclaimed. Nobody would want him even for free, IMO. If we buy him out, there might be some interest in him at a significantly reduced cap hit, like there was with Bryzgalov.

Someone might want him for ticket sales...not bad as a 1 year boost and maybe some help in getting to playoffs... he might actually play consistently when the pressure is reduced...once he realizes the dream of the "first overall pick" is over, and he can start working on being a solid fundamental NHL goaltender rather than some kind of Rock Star.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Lotta "maybes" and rumors amongst that list. Fact is Minnesota and Carolina have 2 capable goalies. Calgary has Ramo. Vancouver is content with Markstrom & Lack as you stated and Washington merely needs a backup, not a $5 million starter.

Well, Washington went out and got Halak because they needed more than a backup. I assume they're planning on doing the same this summer.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
There's probably not another goalie in the league under less pressure. He keeps screwing up horrifically in the playoffs and time after time, management pats him on the back and tells him it's okay. He is also beloved among the media and most fans even now. He never has to win 1-0, 2-1 games where one mistake will lose the game.

Considering the Pens's backups have produced extremely similar results over MAF's career and Vokoun significantly outplayed him in last season's playoffs with the same team and system in front of him, it's most likely MAF is just not that good.

He is also as reliant on athleticism as any goalie in the league and in seeing that he'll turn 30 next season with a lot of tread on his tires for that age, I can see him being out of the league in 3-4 years. He hasn't bothered to work on handling the puck much is entire career, so I doubt he'll suddenly get positioning and other fundamentals that can extend a guy's run once he loses his lateral quickness and reflexes a bit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Something MAF has not been able to absolutely do, is have a rebound game the way he did tonight, not since 2009.

To me, not sure what else he needs to do to prove he's over his crap. MAF of the last 4yrs, would have shat the bed so hard, he'd have gone home and let Zatkoff sit on the bench while Vokoun played the rest of the way.

But he hasn't. I feel like he deserves more respect, Sid & Geno on the other hand...buy a goal?

First time in a while they're finally getting some criticism.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There's probably not another goalie in the league under less pressure. He keeps screwing up horrifically in the playoffs and time after time, management pats him on the back and tells him it's okay. He is also beloved among the media and most fans even now. He never has to win 1-0, 2-1 games where one mistake will lose the game.

Considering the Pens's backups have produced extremely similar results over MAF's career and Vokoun significantly outplayed him in last season's playoffs with the same team and system in front of him, it's most likely MAF is just not that good.

He is also as reliant on athleticism as any goalie in the league and in seeing that he'll turn 30 next season with a lot of tread on his tires for that age, I can see him being out of the league in 3-4 years. He hasn't bothered to work on handling the puck much is entire career, so I doubt he'll suddenly get positioning and other fundamentals that can extend a guy's run once he loses his lateral quickness and reflexes a bit.

:laugh:

Right.

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
Something MAF has not been able to absolutely do, is have a rebound game the way he did tonight, not since 2009.

To me, not sure what else he needs to do to prove he's over his crap. MAF of the last 4yrs, would have shat the bed so hard, he'd have gone home and let Zatkoff sit on the bench while Vokoun played the rest of the way.

But he hasn't. I feel like he deserves more respect, Sid & Geno on the other hand...buy a goal?

First time in a while they're finally getting some criticism.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

People are very irrational when it comes to him - positively and negatively, to be fair - that any discussion of him is difficult. Either way, I think it's clear he's had both his best regular and post-season (so far) in years. YEARS.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Agreed wholeheartedly.

People are very irrational when it comes to him - positively and negatively, to be fair - that any discussion of him is difficult. Either way, I think it's clear he's had both his best regular and post-season (so far) in years. YEARS.

It comes with him being a #1 Overall.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury didn't lose us the game. What more can you ask from a 5M dollar goalie?

Seriously Fleury3434, is that the standard we are holding him to? Should we be praising him just because he didn't directly cost us this game like he did the one before it?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Let's see if he can steal a game or two before we bury 4 years of terrible play. He was Chris Osgood on a good day last night. He was Dan Cloutier in game 4. Some of you guys have the memory of a goldfish...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Let's see if he can steal a game or two before we bury 4 years of terrible play. He was Chris Osgood on a good day last night. He was Dan Cloutier in game 4. Some of you guys have the memory of a goldfish...

Maybe for the last 3-4 minutes. For the first 59 he was fantastic.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There are a handful of things you should never talk about...religion, politics, and MAF

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I can think of maybe 2 or 3 good scoring chances pens gave up the entire game, it was much more about the team in front of him then MAF playing good.

Most of the time, this applies to any goaltender to is playing well.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Most of the time, this applies to any goaltender to is playing well.

I disagree, Boston and LA can play games where they don't give up many scoring chances, pretty much every other team will give up a bunch of great scoring chances almost every game.

BTW MAF got beat by a shot that hit the post, i don't remember if it was in the 2nd or 3rd period, but it would of been a terrible goal to give up, MAF was inches away from going into meltdown mode again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad