Will Marc Andre Fleury Choke Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
In the collective moaning about Disco Dummy one name has floated below the radar moving towards the playoffs: Marc Andre Fleury. He's been good this year.

Am I the only one that thinks Zatkoff or Vokoun will be the starter before the first round is over?

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I know insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, but I suspect that MAF has finally turned a new leaf.

Don't get me wrong - if I were placing bets, I'd bet on the Pens flaming out disastrously in round 1. But I don't expect MAF to be the core cause (or even an secondary one) of the meltdown.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
not sure if he will choke or not.

while i think he's the worst playoff goalie in the league and one of the worst of all-time and an all-around-embarrassment, i still think he has enough talent/motivation to deliver a mediocre playoff series or two.

my biggest fear is not that he stinks and has to be pulled.

my biggest fear is that he delivers a mediocre series or two. he certainly doesnt steal the series, but he's not epic-ly bad enough to lose the series. management and media will then pump up fleury, say how he's turned a corner, blah blah blah. the team then loses when they play a decent team, with fleury's mediocre play one of several reasons why they lost. management will then be delusional enough to not only not get rid of fleury, but they might actually resign him. thats my concern-- shero further handicapping this team by guaranteeing more years of fleury as a penguin.

the bar is set so low for this clown that as long as he isnt historically bad, its still an improvement.

embarrassing that a supposed cup contender continues to employee this guy after years of all-time awful goaltending.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
not sure if he will choke or not.

while i think he's the worst playoff goalie in the league and one of the worst of all-time and an all-around-embarrassment, i still think he has enough talent/motivation to deliver a mediocre playoff series or two.

my biggest fear is not that he stinks and has to be pulled.

my biggest fear is that he delivers a mediocre series or two. he certainly doesnt steal the series, but he's not epic-ly bad enough to lose the series. management and media will then pump up fleury, say how he's turned a corner, blah blah blah. the team then loses when they play a decent team, with fleury's mediocre play one of several reasons why they lost. management will then be delusional enough to not only not get rid of fleury, but they might actually resign him. thats my concern-- shero further handicapping this team by guaranteeing more years of fleury as a penguin.

the bar is set so low for this clown that as long as he isnt historically bad, its still an improvement.

embarrassing that a supposed cup contender continues to employee this guy after years of all-time awful goaltending.

I don't see a middle ground. I think he will be very solid like he has been for the majority of this year or he will implode like he has the last several playoffs.

I want to have some faith in him, but I don't, so I hope Zatkoff and Vokoun are ready to go. Actually, that's not entirely true. Part of me hopes they get bounced in the first round so Bylsma is sent packing. If they make it to ECF again somehow, there's no chance he goes anywhere.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see a middle ground. I think he will be very solid like he has been for the majority of this year or he will implode like he has the last several playoffs.

I want to have some faith in him, but I don't, so I hope Zatkoff and Vokoun are ready to go. Actually, that's not entirely true. Part of me hopes they get bounced in the first round so Bylsma is sent packing. If they make it to ECF again somehow, there's no chance he goes anywhere.

You don't want a ****** goalie performance to give Bylsma an excuse, though.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
6-consecutive playoff series with a sub-.900 sv% in each series. It's very difficult to have any confidence in him at this point. Can't imagine he has much in himself either.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
MAF has to do better this time around. He's nowhere near as bad a goalie as he has been the past few years in the PO's but HE needs to be the one to turn it around.

ColdStare

Jul 20, 2011
Johnstown
Yes, but I don't place the blame completely on him. I think Fleury can be a solid playoff performer but not in this system. Unless he is in a system that shelters him from a large amount of quality scoring chances, I don't think he can be successful. He will have individual games where he will shine, and possibly steal a game. But, it has been awhile since he has shown he can hold up for a whole series.

I'm rooting for him to turn it around though!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He probably will, but I hope he won't.

Of course, I want the Pens to do well and to win a Cup, that's the number 1 priority. On the human side of things, I really really really like Fleury and it saddens me everytime he gets thrown under the bus (sure, he deserves it when he plays like ****). He is a great guy and I wish him the best, I badly want him to rebound, not only because I want the Pens to win, but because I really appreciate who he is.

GO MAF GO!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know what you mean by flying under the radar on this board. :laugh:

His bashing has been curbed by the many other directions fingers are getting pointed at. Fleury, deserves some slack until the games that matter come in play. For Fleury to be successful he'll need a dedicated player group in front of him.

I don't think anyone here is that enthusiastic about our chances.

We're all in the; 'wait till we see it', mode.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Who knows if he'll have an epic collapse again? The defense is bad enough, and he's got nobody backing him up to keep him playing at the top of his game.

We'll see, but I don't think we're going anywhere regardless of whether or not he implodes.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes he will choke, although not as bad as the last few years as he's not up against a team that he's horrible against. He's horrible vs Islanders and Flyers in regular season aswell.

Fire Shero*

Why wouldn't he?

We will blame his collapse on the defense. Sign another worthless vet or 2 on the blue line, 4 or 5 worthless forwards and half will be waived.

It's the same horse **** every year and every off season.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If he chokes, no way he's still here....that would be just ****ing stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad