Will Marc Andre Fleury Choke Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I never stated that Lindback is currently better than Fleury. I like Lindback's size and athleticism. Some goalies don't play to their fullest potential until their late twenties/early thirties. Look at Tim Thomas, Mike Smith, Viktor Fasth, and Brian Elliott for examples. Lindback showed what he was capable of when he was playing as a back-up for Pekka Rinne.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I never stated that Lindback is currently better than Fleury. I like Lindback's size and athleticism. Some goalies don't play to their fullest potential until their late twenties/early thirties. Look at Tim Thomas, Mike Smith, Viktor Fasth, and Brian Elliott for examples. Lindback showed what he was capable of when he was playing as a back-up for Pekka Rinne.

Yeah, he did. A 2.53 GAA and .914 SV% in very selective starts behind one of the best defensive teams in the league. The guy just isn't very good, and CBC actually pointed out one of the big reasons why in their coverage - he likes to stay down.

I seem to recall the statement being something like "no wonder Cooper doesn't need to use a timeout for Lindback, he spends over half the game on his knees" and then followed it up with a highlight reel.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Okay Fleury is 29. So should we wait another few years to see if he plays his best?

I'm fine to take a flyer on a young goalie, but our window to win is the next 3 years. Dumping Fleury and picking up a worse goaltender is not an option.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah, he did. A 2.53 GAA and .914 SV% in very selective starts behind one of the best defensive teams in the league. The guy just isn't very good, and CBC actually pointed out one of the big reasons why in their coverage - he likes to stay down.

I seem to recall the statement being something like "no wonder Cooper doesn't need to use a timeout for Lindback, he spends over half the game on his knees" and then followed it up with a highlight reel.
He could always work on that issue about his game. It is too early to state that it is too late for him to improve his stance. Although Lindback did play on a defensive powerhouse that was Nashville. His numbers are pretty impressive even if he wasn't playing against the best competition every night.
Okay Fleury is 29. So should we wait another few years to see if he plays his best?

I'm fine to take a flyer on a young goalie, but our window to win is the next 3 years. Dumping Fleury and picking up a worse goaltender is not an option.

Difference is Fleury has shown that he is consistently bad for the last four playoffs. Lindback doesn't necessarily have to play right away in the NHL. He could develop in WBS if he was willing to play there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He could always work on that issue about his game. It is too early to state that it is too late for him to improve his stance.

Difference is Fleury has shown that he is consistently bad for the last four playoffs. Lindback doesn't necessarily have to play right away in the NHL. He could develop in WBS if he was willing to play there.

Lindback is not the answer dude. Let's just drop it.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fair enough. It was a suggestion. Perhaps there are goalies in Europe that are ready to play at NHL level.

There are, but most of them have their rights owned by NHL teams - such as Linus Ullmark who was the top goalie in Sweden this season and is a Sabres prospect.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
As far as Bernier goes, he's an RFA so he's not going to have a choice. Toronto will qualify him, which means that they can match any offer he accepts and he can't refuse it. But here's the biggest problem - offer sheet compensation. If the Pens were to offer him $3.5- to $5-million a year, it'll cost them a 1st + a 3rd in compensation; $5- to $6.75-million a year would cost them a 1st + a 2nd + a 3rd in compensation.

That means that no only would the Pens need the cap space, but they'll have to hold onto at least their 1st + 3rd round picks for 2016. That's going to really hurt them when it comes to the trading block.

Interesting. Thanks for posting :)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Maybe the Pens should try Reimer ?
He'll go pretty cheap.
He might play OK on a team that actually has defence.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
There are, but most of them have their rights owned by NHL teams - such as Linus Ullmark who was the top goalie in Sweden this season and is a Sabres prospect.

Rauttio and Owuya could be nice options as 1b's. Vatanen is about as old as Vokoun but probably as god as he was last year.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

By that logic we should keep MAF... Size, athleticism, he's young. I'm sure he'd make a great back-up for Rinne too...

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Earlier in the season I wanted to Shero to get Frederik Andersen. Andersen looked like the real deal when he was on Norfolk. Looking at the potential goalie market, I would take a chance on Andreas Lindback. He hasn't shown much promise for Tampa Bay, but he is still young.

Pittsburgh should look at some younger goaltenders that are somewhat NHL-ready. Matthew Murray, Tristan Jerry, and Eric Hartzell aren't ready for the NHL. Perhaps Vokoun can be re-signed for one more season if he's healthy and ready to go. I don't think Jeff Zatkoff will become anything more than a backup goaltender. But, who knows?

Marc-Andre Fleury needs to get the **** out.

I bet you can't guess who was drafted 2 spots after Murray? I'll give you a hint; he's European so the Pens prolly didn't even know he existed.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Who needs a starter? Besides the Penguins.

Fleury is either a backup or bound for the KHL.
A few teams might like Fluery if they think they can correct him.

Look at Varlamov. Roy and the Av's bring in Allaire... the Pens bring in Mike Bales.

I still like MAF but he's just a bad fit for the Pens. Some of his flaws are on him but the Pens never get coaching, teaching and player development. The funny thing is they're better at it now more than ever so I think the prospects are OK but I'm actually worried more about the big club.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A few teams might like Fluery if they think they can correct him.

Look at Varlamov. Roy and the Av's bring in Allaire... the Pens bring in Mike Bales.

I still like MAF but he's just a bad fit for the Pens. Some of his flaws are on him but the Pens never get coaching, teaching and player development. The funny thing is they're better at it now more than ever so I think the prospects are OK but I'm actually worried more about the big club.

Who REALLY is going to have any interest in trading for Fleury?

Vancouver, as a stop gap and in a deal like I've seen proposed in another thread . . . I could see them.

Maybe the Islanders? Maybe Buffalo?

I can't imagine anyone having any significant interest in trading for him.

As a reclamation projects after a buyout, different story . . .

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you put Fleury on waivers this summer he goes unclaimed. Nobody would want him even for free, IMO. If we buy him out, there might be some interest in him at a significantly reduced cap hit, like there was with Bryzgalov.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you put Fleury on waivers this summer he goes unclaimed. Nobody would want him even for free, IMO. If we buy him out, there might be some interest in him at a significantly reduced cap hit, like there was with Bryzgalov.

I just don't see how non-playoff teams without a goalie wouldn't be interested in him for a year.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Who REALLY is going to have any interest in trading for Fleury?

Vancouver, as a stop gap and in a deal like I've seen proposed in another thread . . . I could see them.

Maybe the Islanders? Maybe Buffalo?

I can't imagine anyone having any significant interest in trading for him.

As a reclamation projects after a buyout, different story . . .

:handclap:

None of the teams that'd be interested in Fleury are going to give up assets for a guy they could sign dirt cheap as a UFA this summer (if bought out) or next.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Fleury has a NMC clause in his contract that prevents the Pens from placing him on waivers. He's also got a rather restrictive NTC.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury has a NMC clause in his contract that prevents the Pens from placing him on waivers. He's also got a rather restrictive NTC.

Right, I'm just saying that *if* he were offered up for nothing more than a waiver transfer fee, I doubt any team would put in a claim.

By my count there are 24 teams with legitimate starters locked up through next season, then you've got 2-3 teams with tandems that they probably feel perfectly comfortable with (Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.). That leaves 3 teams looking for starters amongst Hiller, Halak, Miller, Fleury, Bryz, etc. And one of those three is the Penguins.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Right, I'm just saying that *if* he were offered up for nothing more than a waiver transfer fee, I doubt any team would put in a claim.

By my count there are 24 teams with legitimate starters locked up through next season, then you've got 2-3 teams with tandems that they probably feel perfectly comfortable with (Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.). That leaves 3 teams looking for starters amongst Hiller, Halak, Miller, Fleury, Bryz, etc. And one of those three is the Penguins.

There are more than 3...
  1. Calgary - maybe starter or maybe platoon, but Ramo is the only goalie they've got under contract next season
  2. Carolina - big overhaul coming and reportedly shopping Ward hard; likely looking for a guy to platoon with Khudobin
  3. Minnesota - another maybe; Backstrom and Harding are still under contract, but their statuses are a bit up in the air
  4. NY Islanders - no brainer
  5. Pittsburgh - have to be in the market looking for an upgrade over Fleury
  6. St Louis - only have Allen under contract for next season, likely looking for that 1b guy to roll with him
  7. Vancouver - claim they're happy with Markstrom+Lack, but who knows?
  8. Washington - similar to St Louis, looking for a 1b guy to play with Holtby
  9. Winnipeg - another no brainer

Here's how I see things playing out...

1b Options:
- Hiller
- Halak
- Elliott
- Greiss
- Fleury

Starter Options:
- Miller

Some of the older guys - Brodeur, Thomas, Nabokov, etc - may be in play, but they'd be nothing more than a 1-year stop gap. I think Bryz's fate is sealed. He'll be KHL-bound this summer.

As far as RFAs go, the only ones that look to be in play are Reimer or Lindback - but both are going to cost assets to attain. Your other high-end RFAs (eg. Kuemper, Lehner) are going to be re-signed by their teams one way or another.

So you're likely looking at 7-9 teams in on 4 or 5 UFA goalies by the time July rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad