Will Lundqvist be traded before 2021?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'm no Hank lover, but he's the main reason we even had a Cup window or two during his time as a Ranger. He's streaky in-season, but throughout his career he's been incredibly consistent at maintaining a high level of play.

The fact Hank couldn't play all six positions at once or magically heal other players' broken heads or feet during Cup runs doesn't take away from his importance to this franchise.

This isn't a left-handed finger roll screw up situation. Hockey isn't a one-guy-can-carry-the-team sport.
Understand that its a team game. Hank was outplayed by the opposing goalie in his only Cup appearance.
Dan Marino might have been the most talented QB ever. Never won a SB. His legacy is affected by no championships. l

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would easily bet against it. How often does a strong contender need, and or can fit in a pricy, goaltender? Will Hank OK a trade? Or return to Sweden/retire?

Practically it’s just so much easier for a defender or forward to go hunt a cup a final year or two.

There are a number of hurdles for it even to be possible and yeah playoff teams just by virtue of being playoff teams almost alway have pretty good goaltending--and almost always have limited cap space to work with and we're talking about a 36 year old goalie who has somewhat declined and has three years left at $8.5 mil per. If you're committing $8.5 mil for a couple years you're figuring that guy has got to carry your team and if you're already spending $4-5-6 mil on the goalie you have adding Lundqvist's contract to your cap is nigh on impossible and what are you going to do with this other guy then? 36 years old--37 and then 38--that's tough on your other signed goalies.

...but I don't really know if Henrik fully understands yet what the rest of his career is going to be like with the Rangers. By the end of this year he will have a much better idea---which is to say what he thought last year after the letter came out and in the subsequent few weeks until the end of the season is only a small snapshot of what's ahead for him in the next one, two, three years and he might change his mind if the losses pile up and if his frustration builds and builds off of that. He's used to winning and he doesn't take losing at all well so......before this year is over I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind about moving on to another team. That said---I think his contract will be a very difficult one to move. Again good teams have good goaltending and $8.5 mil per 36 year olds---IMO most teams will balk at that.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We'd have to retain salary if we traded Lundqvist. But if he keeps his performance up and we take on 50% or 33% or something (easy for me to say, it's not my money), in years where the cap arguably isn't that relevant to where we're going, I don't know, maybe we can get a late first round pick or something like the Jeff Skinner package. And as fans, we get an easy team to root for in the playoffs assuming our own season peters out.

I don't really get why he wants to stay with the Rangers, but I can work out the "giving the team a fair chance until the deadline/next season" scenario and the "just going back to Frolunda a little early" scenario that gets some play in these threads.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are a number of hurdles for it even to be possible and yeah playoff teams just by virtue of being playoff teams almost alway have pretty good goaltending--and almost always have limited cap space to work with and we're talking about a 36 year old goalie who has somewhat declined and has three years left at $8.5 mil per. If you're committing $8.5 mil for a couple years you're figuring that guy has got to carry your team and if you're already spending $4-5-6 mil on the goalie you have adding Lundqvist's contract to your cap is nigh on impossible and what are you going to do with this other guy then? 36 years old--37 and then 38--that's tough on your other signed goalies.

...but I don't really know if Henrik fully understands yet what the rest of his career is going to be like with the Rangers. By the end of this year he will have a much better idea---which is to say what he thought last year after the letter came out and in the subsequent few weeks until the end of the season is only a small snapshot of what's ahead for him in the next one, two, three years and he might change his mind if the losses pile up and if his frustration builds and builds off of that. He's used to winning and he doesn't take losing at all well so......before this year is over I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind about moving on to another team. That said---I think his contract will be a very difficult one to move. Again good teams have good goaltending and $8.5 mil per 36 year olds---IMO most teams will balk at that.

Yeah, exactly.

Hank touched upon playing a year in Frölunda with his brother a couple of months ago. Something like 'well, who knows, it would require the both of us playing until we are pretty old'.

If we were ranking alternatives to playing out the contract I would probably go:
1. Taking the Markus Näslund route (i.e. walking away from the last years of the contract) and retiring.
2. Taking the Näslund route and going to Frölunda.
3. LTIR
4. Trade.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Normally I don't fall for the "I want to be here" line that players throw out, but I really think he wants to be here. I think he's in love with the city and the lifestyle it brings.

That being said, anything can change. They could have a terrible year and he figures this organization just isn't for him anymore.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
“First of all, just the shape he’s in certainly tells you that he’s all-in,” Quinn said. “Our conversation — and obviously I had a pretty good idea where he was once I took the job. So I had a good idea that he was all-in and he wanted to stay here and finish his career here, and wanted to be part of the next wave of success.”

Sounds like a guy who's not going anywhere. Not a surprise.

Reactions: Sarge13 and nevesis

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Understand that its a team game. Hank was outplayed by the opposing goalie in his only Cup appearance.
Dan Marino might have been the most talented QB ever. Never won a SB. His legacy is affected by no championships. l

This is always the worst take, and complete revisionist history.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“First of all, just the shape he’s in certainly tells you that he’s all-in,” Quinn said. “Our conversation — and obviously I had a pretty good idea where he was once I took the job. So I had a good idea that he was all-in and he wanted to stay here and finish his career here, and wanted to be part of the next wave of success.”

Sounds like a guy who's not going anywhere. Not a surprise.

Exactly.

In Brooksie’s latest article, the last line says it all....

“There is no place I’d rather be.’

Hank will be finishing his career here in New York. So frustrating we’re still having this conversation on here.

Reactions: Sarge13

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Exactly.

In Brooksie’s latest article, the last line says it all....

“There is no place I’d rather be.’

Hank will be finishing his career here in New York. So frustrating we’re still having this conversation on here.

It's entirely fair to have the conversation.

We have no idea how he'll feel by mid December if this team is 15 games under .500. He's earned his right to stay here if thats what he wants, but lets not act like he is incapable of changing his mind.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's entirely fair to have the conversation.

We have no idea how he'll feel by mid December if this team is 15 games under .500. He's earned his right to stay here if thats what he wants, but lets not act like he is incapable of changing his mind.

It's fair to fantasize about shedding his salary and getting some draft picks as much as you want to. However, every time he's asked he's said he wants to be a career Ranger and can't imagine going anywhere else. He's not saying "Let's see how the season goes".

It's just as fair to say "let's not act like" he IS going to change his mind when there's absolutely no indication that he will.

I'd venture to speculate that if anything leads to him leaving before his contract is up it'll be to play with his brother in Sweden, not to be a 38 year old back up in San Jose, or wherever, to win a Cup.

Reactions: Sarge13 and nevesis

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundqvist will not be traded.

I don't think he wants to be traded, I don't see that changing, and I don't know if any team is going to give up a ton of assets to fit his current contract onto their roster as he approaches his late 30s.

So from every conceivable, realistic angle, I just do not see it happening. I never say never, but it is highly unlikely.

Now, with that said, I cannot answer if he will actually finish his contract with the Rangers. I'd say it is a possibility he would retire, especially if he feels he isn't performing at the level he wants.

That scenario, though still unlikely, is at least a little more realistic.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone think the team should petition the league to allow him to be captain? Something like a 35+/12+ year vet rule exception? I do. Not only does he deserve this but it’d be based in fact. He’s a lifer. Whether he ends up like the Marino of his generation or not, Dolan needs to do this. He can handle it and it’d be an honor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad