Will Lundqvist be traded before 2021?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Don't know, but they should try, it could be a win win situation for Rangers, the other team and for Lundqvist.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There's a bit in his contract to stop the Rangers from moving him. He shouldn't be moved. Hank will retire before playing anywhere else.

Reactions: egelband

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There's a bit in his contract to stop the Rangers from moving him. He shouldn't be moved. Hank will retire before playing anywhere else.

Then He can hang out with Rod Gilbert and the other great non cup winners the Rangers wasted yet parade around every now and then to a bunch of monkeys who don’t really seem to know who they are.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He can`t and won`t be traded unless Henrik want to move which they talked about last season with Jeff Gorton.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think he’s going to mentor Sherts

ALthough he’s gonna snap this year . The D in front if him is terrible defensively

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
His salary number means it would be extremely difficult to trade him even if he agreed. It would have to be some extreme circumstance where a cup contender lost their G around the trade deadline.

I agree with the previous poster that by the New Year Hank is going to snap and have visual meltdowns on the ice.

Also, I don't see hank being a good mentor when Shesty gets here. I don't think he is the mentoring type. (hopefully i am wrong). Thats ok thats why we have B.A.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would easily bet against it. How often does a strong contender need, and or can fit in a pricy, goaltender? Will Hank OK a trade? Or return to Sweden/retire?

Practically it’s just so much easier for a defender or forward to go hunt a cup a final year or two.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Regardless of everything else I think he wants to stay here until the end. He chose to stick it out for this rebuild knowing there's no guarantee we'll be truly competitive again during his contract. He just wants to stay in NYC with the Rangers. I could see him finishing his deal and heading back to Sweden for a year or two if he's still playing at a good level. Otherwise, I'd really be shocked to ever see him wearing another NHL sweater.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think presently, he wants to stay. I also think a harsh truth will be waiting for him in the not too distant future as his role decreases and whomever takes the position's role increases. Somehow I don't think sitting on the bench for 50+ games is going to sit well with him. Because of that, I don't really see why someone else a would try to bring him in as a starter. If he can't start here, it's because he can't start anywhere. I would think he either rides it out here or retires early. If he wants to still play after that, maybe he goes back to Sweden.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He's going to retire or go back to Sweden to play for Frolunda before hanging up the skates for good.

I don't think he finishes his current contract.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It's really too early to say. I think he's here until the end personally but a lot can happen between now and the end of the contract. Maybe the Rangers start pushing him out as Shestyorkin comes across the water, maybe the Rangers are the worst team in the league this year and Henrik decides he can't handle it anymore, maybe he gets sick of management (nothing to this, just throwing out scenarios). Or maybe the team surprises this year and Henrik buys even further into the plan, maybe his love for the city overrides everything, maybe he figures finishing his career with the one team he's always played for means more to his legacy than chasing a Cup. There's so many different ways it can play out that I don't see how you could give a firm answer one way or another.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
For now, I think that Lundqvist wants to stay with the Rangers. But after another season or two of not making the playoffs, he will want one Stanley Cup before retiring. At that point, he will ask to be traded.

Who would have thought that the Bruins would end up trading Ray Bourque after 21 seasons?

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Rangers (still) have the most consistent goaltender of all time. To me, there's less than a 2% chance that this team finishes 25-31 if he's healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the playoff bubble in January if things fall into place the right way. I don't think they'll get in, but I think they'll surprise some people around here.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Considering that they traded many core players away last season, it will be another 2-3 seasons before they make the playoffs again. We'll see how Lundqvist feels then.....

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Rangers (still) have the most consistent goaltender of all time. To me, there's less than a 2% chance that this team finishes 25-31 if he's healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the playoff bubble in January if things fall into place the right way. I don't think they'll get in, but I think they'll surprise some people around here.

Well...did you watch that charity game in Norway a month ago? Hank allowed 7 goals, 4 of them scored by Zucc. Ouch...Hank got his feelings hurt :D

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
For now, I think that Lundqvist wants to stay with the Rangers. But after another season or two of not making the playoffs, he will want one Stanley Cup before retiring. At that point, he will ask to be traded.

Who would have thought that the Bruins would end up trading Ray Bourque after 21 seasons?
If Hank could find a team already the favorite to win the cup like Bourque did with Colorado then Hank should go for it...

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Once he's done playing hockey I think that's it. He has so many other ventures, is loaded, and married into nobility.

I don't think he leaves but it's not impossible. If I took a show of hands how many people here thought McD would be gone last September if anyone raised their hand I'd be shocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad