Will Auston Matthews be a hart finalist this season? Yes or No

Will Auston Matthews be a hart finalist this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
No, I feel like Marner is considered the MVP of Leafs this season. And there isn't going to be a narrative pushing Matthews this year, unless he really forces the issue. People will be OK with Marner being given the nod as their most valuable player.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No, I feel like Marner is considered the MVP of Leafs this season. And there isn't going to be a narrative pushing Matthews this year, unless he really forces the issue. People will be OK with Marner being given the nod as their most valuable player.

Surprised by all the Marner comments. Marner has all of 2 points more than Matthews with ~60 games to go.

Don't get me wrong, I find Marner usually gets underrated a lot here, so I'm sure he deserves praise. But in every season of their careers so far, Matthews has been better than Marner. Coming off a hart winning season, why wouldn't everyone expect him to again do the same?

People get a bit lost in small sample sizes

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
It's possible, but i think it's gonna be hard to not just pencil McDavid is as a finalist so that leaves 2 spots.

Lots of guys playing better than he is almost 1/3 thru the season, he would need to go on an absolute tear to do it. Not saying he can't, because we've seen what he can do. I still wouldn't be shocked if he did, just wouldn't bet on it

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
My issue is that the "section" he is placed in is basically others, posting that section out of context and commenting on how short it is, is missleading. Side note, this section of wikipedia only contains the players who reached the "unoficial" 50 in 50 in some midgames without achieving an official one same season, which makes this section much shorter than it actually is... But I am sure that all these details, that this list is only for this subsection, and is only containing these players was included nicely in your post or sreenshot, right?

It is like commenting that last season there was only one player in NHL who scored 99 points, and posting a list which ignores all 100+ point players. Yea I know, those players appear in I guess that since there is only one guy scoring 99 points, he must be amazing, right?
well I dunno why your bitching about it to me, maybe you should go correct wikipedia...
I mean I dont know what you want here... TSN posted the same list when Matthews completed his unofficial 50-50 and got placed in that list.

I dont know why I would have to post the players who did it officially starting from Day 1 of the regular season. thats not the point here. the point is it's still recorded as completing 50 goals in a 50 game span.
you can cry all you want saying im wrong but really I dont give a shit what you want me to add doesn't really belong here.

and no that list is just showing the players who scored 50 in 50 games starting after the first game of the season.

it's still a 50-50 and this proves that he completed it and that list is just for those who scored 50 goals in a 50 game window beginning after the first game of the season. I love that your trying your best to make this seem false but really just makes you sound like a salty leaf hater

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Again, there were 22 different times (actually much more than that if you count that in some seasons Gretzky acomplished this feat multiple times) when a player completed 50 goals during 50 consecutive games.
You post a screenshot with a list of 8 players and commented that this is a short list.

My point is that people who scored the official 50 in 50 also accomplished the feat you reffer to, yet you are trying to make the feat look better by somehow ignoring them...

This is what always puzzled me about Matthews' fans: no matter what he acomplishes (and the 51 goals in 50 consecutive games is a huge achiemement), some people need to try to exagerate his acomplishments even more.... I never understood why, and this is what actually turns some people around here in so called "Toronto haters".
He didn’t do it in 50 consecutive games, he was suspended for 2 games in the middle of the streak, so he did it in 50 games he played, not 50 leaf consecutive games.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Im not ignoring anything I literally posted what's on wikipedia. the section that Matthews is placed in.
I guess Wikipedia is wrong? that list is incorrect? well why not contact wikipedia and update them?
basically it's being credited as a 50 in 50 but added to the unofficial category.

I dunno how Im trying to make it seem better it's still an exclusive group that have done it.... isn't that enough?

what puzzles me about Leafs haters is no matter what Matthews or Toronto in general does it's shot down or made out to be a joke.

let me guess you were part of the Matthews didn't deserve the Hart or Lindsay crew

Can you go a single thread without whining about “Leaf haters”?

The guy you’re arguing with isn’t even trying to downplay Matthews achievement. He’s pointing out how it can be 50 team consecutive and 50 player consecutive can be different things. Which is what a post above me pointed out. That you liked.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He didn’t do it in 50 consecutive games, he was suspended for 2 games in the middle of the streak, so he did it in 50 games he played, not 50 leaf consecutive games.
Again, what is the point you guys are trying to make?

The other 21 times (and actually more if you count the times a player did it multiple times in a season) it was also done in 50 games the player played. It is just that 14 times the streak also checked some more marks, this does not mean we should ignore them....

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Because it's very rare to do it, esp. two years in a row, and he's had a very slow start and would have to go on an insane heater to have any chance. Without Marner on his line, that looks much less likely this year. He'll still do very well, but it looks more "human" this year, than super-human.

I think you misunderstood my point. I was talking specifically about why people wouldn't expect Matthews to once again have the better season than Marner.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
well I dunno why your bitching about it to me, maybe you should go correct wikipedia...
I mean I dont know what you want here... TSN posted the same list when Matthews completed his unofficial 50-50 and got placed in that list.

I dont know why I would have to post the players who did it officially starting from Day 1 of the regular season. thats not the point here. the point is it's still recorded as completing 50 goals in a 50 game span.
you can cry all you want saying im wrong but really I dont give a shit what you want me to add doesn't really belong here.

and no that list is just showing the players who scored 50 in 50 games starting after the first game of the season.

it's still a 50-50 and this proves that he completed it and that list is just for those who scored 50 goals in a 50 game window beginning after the first game of the season. I love that your trying your best to make this seem false but really just makes you sound like a salty leaf hater

OK maybe this will make things clear. Just to give a random example, in 1981-82 Wayne scored 50 goals between games lets say 3 and 53... He also scored 50 between games lets say 17 and 67, and so on....

So no, the list si not "just showing the players who scored 50 in 50 games starting after the first game of the season." Wayne did that, but he is not listed simply because he also achieved an official 50 in 50 that season.

Again, what am I complaining about is posting partial information to make your player look nicer, and then labeling anyone who says anything as a "Leaf hater".

At the end of the day, there were 22 times in NHL when someone achieved this feat or better, and you guys are trying to sell this as being achieved 8 times. And again, when your player achieved an amazing accomplishment(and there is no doubt, it is amazing), there is no need to exagerate his acomplishments, you will not get any praise from "Leafs haters" this way, on contrary....

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Can you go a single thread without whining about “Leaf haters”?

The guy you’re arguing with isn’t even trying to downplay Matthews achievement. He’s pointing out how it can be 50 team consecutive and 50 player consecutive can be different things. Which is what a post above me pointed out. That you liked.
I dunno can you go a day without thinking about the Leafs?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
OK maybe this will make things clear. Just to give a random example, in 1981-82 Wayne scored 50 goals between games lets say 3 and 53... He also scored 50 between games lets say 17 and 67, and so on....

So no, the list si not "just showing the players who scored 50 in 50 games starting after the first game of the season." Wayne did that, but he is not listed simply because he also achieved an official 50 in 50 that season.

Again, what am I complaining about is posting partial information to make your player look nicer, and then labeling anyone who says anything as a "Leaf hater".

At the end of the day, there were 22 times in NHL when someone achieved this feat or better, and you guys are trying to sell this as being achieved 8 times. And again, when your player achieved an amazing accomplishment(and there is no doubt, it is amazing), there is no need to exagerate his acomplishments, you will not get any praise from "Leafs haters" this way, on contrary....
I dont care about praise from leafs haters their hatred for the Leafs is pathetic.

the whole 50 in 50 but only the first 50 games is such a horseshit gatekeeping attempt to keep rocket richard and gretzky at a higher tier than all the other players who scored 50 in some 50 game span in their seasons

no other sport is like this. in baseball, they dont measure the amount of homers you get in the first 100 games or something dumb like that. its always season total

i'm not trying to sell anything. I took the information I found on Wiki and copy and pasted it. like I said maybe you should correct Wiki for setting it up incorrect?

I feel like if what you said happened they would have placed it in the list. or maybe they didnt post the same player doing it multiple times either way it's a small exclusive list and it hasn;'t been done in like 25 years or something

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I dont care about praise from leafs haters their hatred for the Leafs is pathetic.

the whole 50 in 50 but only the first 50 games is such a horseshit gatekeeping attempt to keep rocket richard and gretzky at a higher tier than all the other players who scored 50 in some 50 game span in their seasons

no other sport is like this. in baseball, they dont measure the amount of homers you get in the first 100 games or something dumb like that. its always season total

i'm not trying to sell anything. I took the information I found on Wiki and copy and pasted it. like I said maybe you should correct Wiki for setting it up incorrect?

I feel like if what you said happened they would have placed it in the list. or maybe they didnt post the same player doing it multiple times either way it's a small exclusive list and it hasn;'t been done in like 25 years or something
The point is, is much harder to do 50 in first 50. You have one shot at it, 50 in the middle of the season gives you 33 shots a year at it.
Plus his 50 in 50 in the middle of the season is asterisked, as he was suspended for 2 games in the middle of the streak, so he didn’t do it in 50 consecutive leafs games, he did it in the 50 he actually played. Still a great feat,

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I dunno can you go a day without thinking about the Leafs?

Way to completely deflect. Address the points.

For a guy who doesn’t give a shit, you spend so much time saying this against the big bad leaf haters.

Once again: the guy isn’t even arguing against Matthews. He’s just saying how there’s 50 consecutive team games and 50 consecutive player games. And you liked a post explaining this.

You’re just outraged because Leaf haterz are super bad. It’s tiring having Leaf fans like this one going into every thread and if they don’t get the praise required, the universe hates them.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Way to completely deflect. Address the points.

For a guy who doesn’t give a shit, you spend so much time saying this against the big bad leaf haters.

Once again: the guy isn’t even arguing against Matthews. He’s just saying how there’s 50 consecutive team games and 50 consecutive player games. And you liked a post explaining this.

You’re just outraged because Leaf haterz are super bad. It’s tiring having Leaf fans like this one going into every thread and if they don’t get the praise required, the universe hates them.
all I did was post something that provides proof that he's been added to a list. its you guys getting all butt-hurt over it and trying to say it's not real well go correct Wiki then Mr. Perfects.

and what your question is more important than mine? why dont you address that question? I spend almost zero time in Oilers threads but yet I run into you more often than 99% of HFBoard so I see how your question is more valid than mine.

look someone said he didn't score 50 in 50 and I provided proof that he's been added to a list saying he has. but yet you and the other guy keep just saying stats but have no proof to back it up.....

The point is, is much harder to do 50 in first 50. You have one shot at it, 50 in the middle of the season gives you 33 shots a year at it.
Plus his 50 in 50 in the middle of the season is asterisked, as he was suspended for 2 games in the middle of the streak, so he didn’t do it in 50 consecutive leafs games, he did it in the 50 he actually played. Still a great feat,
it is much harder to do in the first 50 which is why they have their own list but still completing 50 in 50 at any point in the season deserves to count and it obviously does as I proved it above

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Ya so lets change the standard because it would include your player. Sorry that's not how it works.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ya so lets change the standard because it would include your player. Sorry that's not how it works.
so in other words any credible place saying he did it, was wrong? that list that I found on Wiki isn't real? or was it only created because Matthews did it?

here's another link is this wrong? I mean dailyfaceoff is among the most reliable places to get goalie starts info. are their articles a sham?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The only fraud is McDavid, being a big liability on D every time he is on the ice. The guy couldn’t play D if his life depended on it. Also his stats are nothing more than lame secondary assists in the weakest division in the NHL. You want to talk fraud. GTFO with that BS
You do realize that even if McDavid forfeited every secondary assist he's gotten from 2017 to today, he'd still have more points (and more points per game) than Matthews (even if Matthews got to keep all of his secondary assists) - right?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

1. No, it’s not gatekeeping. The literal accomplishment was because the first time a guy potted 50 goals, he only had 50 games to do it. Then it became tradition. Gretzky potted 50 in 39 games and no one was being a prick trying to change the tradition of Richard’s feat to become the near impossibility Gretzky performed.

If it were gatekeeping, there wouldn’t be an unofficial list also keeping track of those who scored 50 in 50 personal games to also recognize their feat.

2. Baseball is the worst example to bring up. Maris broke Ruth’s record of 60 in a season where he had 8 more available games. He had an actual asterisk next to his mark of 61 for 30 years until he was recognized as the official record holder. Bonds has the official current record and is treated by the baseball world as an unofficial record holder. The baseball world covered Judge’s 62 as if he was chasing down the all time record and not merely the window dressing of Maris’ AL record.

Side note:

I agree with people saying that Leafs fans are a little desperate when it comes to honoring what is in actuality an awesome feat. For instance, in that Wiki article about 50 in 50, there never used to be a section covering “50 in any mid-season 50 games”. Because almost no one cared. Yet here we are with some taking the time to further legitimize what Matthews did by going back to look for instances in the past so they can put Matthews as the latest to do it.

Final thoughts:

Potting 50 goals in any set of 50 games is an incredible task and a pleasure to follow, but it’s not necessary to feign ignorance as to why some would point out why it doesn’t belong in the same realm as what the hockey world has recognized for almost 80 years. Newer, overzealous Toronto/Matthews fanboys don’t just get to pick and choose as to how much something matters on a whim.

Last edited:

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
No, but scoring 45(ish) goals in a season is.

In his 6 seasons, he's scored 40-something goals 3 times, and less than 40 goals twice. Do you find it strange that someone would predict that, especially after his slow start this year? It's "say 60 or you're a hater" for you? lol.
70, my dog, we don't do regression /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce