Will all 4 RFA's get resigned

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Asham and Powe are still on the Rangers cap for the full hit. All one-way contracts count fully in the summer.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes, that is correct. But with the 10% cushion, we'll be fine. And then when the cushion goes away, they go down to the minors for a combined 217K cap hit and we'll still be fine.

Right. Which is why I said we have $16m available.

To be clear, though, Asham and Powe will have to clear waivers again in October to be reassigned.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't see anyone claiming them though. If they are claimed, do we take on half of the cap hit?

That was only on re-entry waivers under the last CBA. They eliminated it for the new one. So, to answer the question, no. If they get claimed, the new team takes the whole cap hit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So it's a win-win either way. They either go down for a combined 217K cap hit, or get claimed and we are fully ridded of them.

Right. And likely two players will be waived or traded no matter what. We aren't carrying 15 forwards on the roster. The thing is, those moves might not happen until November when Callahan and Hagelin make their way back. If kids beat them out (likely), they'll be gone. If they don't, we'll hold onto them for a minute. Other injuries may happen in camp too.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You guys have got it covered. Asham and Powe represent the "wiggle room" that Uncle Larry wants to scare everybody into thinking doesn't exist. Pyatt can be moved in a trade if necessary, but I think he'll stick around. There is plenty of money to sign the 3 important guys and MZA.

What scares me is that we only have 4 guys signed in '14-15, one of which is Richards. There should be plenty of money to sign everyone with the cap projections but damn, with all of those UFAs you have to think that a few of them will go elsewhere. We all know what roster turnover does to the on ice product too.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Right. Which is why I said we have $16m available.

To be clear, though, Asham and Powe will have to clear waivers again in October to be reassigned.

How are you coming up with the 16 mil number? I thought it was ~13

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
What scares me is that we only have 4 guys signed in '14-15, one of which is Richards. There should be plenty of money to sign everyone with the cap projections but damn, with all of those UFAs you have to think that a few of them will go elsewhere. We all know what roster turnover does to the on ice product too.

Well three or maybe four players should be added in the next couple months when the RFAs resign.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
How are you coming up with the 16 mil number? I thought it was ~13

10% cushion in the summer. If you head over to the last page of the upper limit thread that's stickied, I broke down our summer cap hits. $16m is the space we have when you remove the qualifying offers from the overall number.

Now keep in mind that someone like Kreider only hits us for 2/3 of his base salary, without bonuses, during the summer because he only spent 2/3 of the season on the roster and is on a two-way deal. Stuff like that can be confusing.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
They're all wrong. No understanding of the summer cap. Rangers have $16m to sign their guys. If there are offer sheets, the resources exist to match. You can figure out the details on roster moves for the season cap later.

Plus the 11mm being reported prob takes into acct their Q offer so if McD gets 4mm lets say then its really plus 3.125mm as well as others. The important yhing is that other GMs know this, that we have the resources plus to match and to lay off or else Dolan will shut off their cable and no visiting team Pres box like when they made JD watch Graves (?) Number retirement with a purchased ticket.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You guys have got it covered. Asham and Powe represent the "wiggle room" that Uncle Larry wants to scare everybody into thinking doesn't exist. Pyatt can be moved in a trade if necessary, but I think he'll stick around. There is plenty of money to sign the 3 important guys and MZA.

Maybe but if Richards gets bought out and Hank resigns look at 14-15 as a massive opportunity to sign core guys and retool almost whole team hopefully with Gorton calling shots. Also look at the 4-5 almost ready Fs we hav e coming up. Im excited about 14-15, no loadstones.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I guess, but when the season starts, minus most of Powe/Asham contracts they would have ~13.

Can't really spend that extra 3 mil without making additional moves to free 3 mil when the season starts

Right, but the point is that the extra money should enable to match any offer sheets. The rest could be figured out later, if needed.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Maybe but if Richards gets bought out and Hank resigns look at 14-15 as a massive opportunity to sign core guys and retool almost whole team hopefully with Gorton calling shots. Also look at the 4-5 almost ready Fs we hav e coming up. Im excited about 14-15, no loadstones.

The thought of "re-tooling" is what scares me, but I suppose it might turn out OK if the core remains intact. I'm just tired of the turnover, and want to see a team with chemistry and bonds that make them play for each other.

On a different note, just wanted to give some kudos to the Capgeek developers. I don't know if they make any money off that site, but they should because it's really well done.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They did go bye bye.

According to CapGeek for waiving them:

Buried: Arron Asham ($0.075m)
Buried: Darroll Powe ($0.142m)

So we retain 217K. Still leaves us with 13+ million in cap space.

thats a premature update. they will need to be waived again and assigned to hartford before the season starts for that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad