Will all 4 RFA's get resigned

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
I'll still go on record and say the RFAs will not get as much as been speculated. Look at Del Zotto, 2.5M and he was coming off a 40+ point +20 season when defensemen are in HIGH demand.

If there is one thing Sather is great at, its signing his RFAs.

Yeah Glen likes to play hardball with them too, so we could see both Step and Mac getting less than $4M per.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
He only played 2 NHL games in 10-11, so he didn't burn the first year of his ELC.

Right that much I'm aware of, but I thought the contract only slides if they go back down to juniors and not the AHL? Also i thought there was a deadline during the year where they couldn't play any more games as he was called up around the trade deadline in the 10-11 season

Last edited:

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Right that much I'm aware of, but I thought the contract only slides if they go back down to juniors and not the AHL? Also i thought there was a deadline during the year where they couldn't play any more games as he was called up around the trade deadline in the 10-11 season

I'm not sure entirely. All I know is that there is a limit on how many games a player on an ELC can play with the big club before they burn the first year.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah Glen likes to play hardball with them too, so we could see both Step and Mac getting less than $4M per.

Callahan when he signed his was eligible for arbitration as well wasnt he? and he only got 4M which is pretty damn good for a 2nd liner when 3rd liners are making that.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Honestly, I would rather have Lacavalier than Richards.

Lecavalier
Brassard
Stepan
Boyle

is much better than

Stepan
Brassard
Richards
Boyle

There are other options too. Doesn't have to be Lecavalier.

I hope AV plays a rookie as our 3rd line center and moves Richards to wing.

xxxx - Stepan - xxxx
Richards- Brassard - xxxx
xxxx - Lindberg - xxxx
xxxx - Boyle - xxxx

----------------------------------

Back on topic, yes, I think we sign all of our RFAs.

Yes, but essentially Richards is on a 1 year deal (assuming he doesn't get injured) and VL will likely be interested in a longer contract. Vinny has been banged up in recent years, and while I agree that I'd gladly swap him for Brad for this year, I'm not so sure I want him for more than a 2 or 3 year deal at this point in his career.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I'm not sure entirely. All I know is that there is a limit on how many games a player on an ELC can play with the big club before they burn the first year.

That number is 9, I'm just unsure on the details of the clause as well. Who is our resident CBA expert?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You're underrating Lecavalier. He's still a legit 1b center. Just wasn't worth 7.7M.

I understand that, and I know he's still a good player, but Richards was better in the last 3 years, the first 2 by a wide margin. It has nothing to do with underrated Lecavalier, Richards will be better.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

AHL counts as well. Any team except for the NHL team itself.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Depends where Vinny ends up. Have to remember that he was playing in Guy Boucher's run and gun odd man rush system which is great for your point totals, bad for the goalie.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Depends where Vinny ends up. Have to remember that he was playing in Guy Boucher's run and gun odd man rush system which is great for your point totals, bad for the goalie.

well this is true, if he ends up on Chicago he might out perform Richards :laugh:

anyway back on topic, I hope sather can get the RFAs done for less than people think to give us some cap room

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL

Lecavalier had his best years under Tortorella - a coach who supposedly chokes out offense. But to be fair, Lecavalier wasn't the same since he separated his shoulder in 08 - Tortorella's last year as Tampa's coach. He was just an animal prior to that. He's not that dynamic, but he's a great second line center, solid on the PP, mediocre defensively. After signing our RFA's, I can't see how we can fit Lecavalier in whether we trade a couple of defenseman for cheap players.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

ELCs slide in the AHL if the player is under 20. Animisov and Grachev both played in the AHL at 19. Both of their contracts slid.

18 and 19 year olds have to play 10 NHL games in order to burn a year off the ELC. Playing in the AHL doesn't count. Once the player turns 20, any professional play (NHL, AHL, ECHL) counts as a year off the ELC.

Miller played in the AHL this year as a 19 year old, but he played enough NHL games to burn a year off his contract.

The deadline is just for playing in the playoffs, but that only has to do with players not on the team's reserved list. Moore was under contract, so that limit doesn't apply.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
If it's posted already, then I'm sorry if I wasted your time;

http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-p...-michael-sauer-not-qualifiedothers-qualified/

Pat Leonard writes in the Daily News that the Rangers have decided not to send a qualifying offer to Michael Sauer.

Sauer will now be a UFA.

Leonard notes that the Rangers have sent qualifying offers to Justin Falk, Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, Ryan McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello.

Zuccarello’s qualifying offer is $735,000.
McDonagh’s qualifying offer is $826,875
Stepan’s qualifying offer is 826,875
Hagelin’s qualifying offer is $660,000
Falk’s qualifying offer is $866,250
The Rangers retain the rights to all of the players that they have qualified.

The deadline to qualify players is tomorrow.

Stepanformayor*

With only $11.1 million left, without a big trade they can not sign all 5 guys. There is a big splash coming or we lose at least 2 RFA'S.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
With only $11.1 million left, without a big trade they can not sign all 5 guys. There is a big splash coming or we lose at least 2 RFA'S.

Uhhhhhh, what?

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.000m) / Derek Stepan ($4.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.250m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($5.000m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
Justin Falk ($0.866m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,322,917; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $1,260,417

That team is over by $1,260,417 and that's with 15 forwards on the roster. I gave Mac, Step, and Hags either what they're expected to get or the higher end of the spectrum and Zuc's 1.25 is based on what Brooks speculated. Get rid of two of Asham/Pyatt/Powe and you're within the cap with an extra forward and defenseman to spare. You also have to realize you can go over the cap by 10% in the summer which is even more of a reason the Rangers aren't losing anyone.

Stepanformayor*

It's being reported every where that they only have 11.1 left to sign 5 RFA'S. they are all saying Sather has opened the Rangers up to offer sheets on Mac and Step!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's being reported every where that they only have 11.1 left to sign 5 RFA'S. they are all saying Sather has opened the Rangers up to offer sheets on Mac and Step!

They're all wrong. No understanding of the summer cap. Rangers have $16m to sign their guys. If there are offer sheets, the resources exist to match. You can figure out the details on roster moves for the season cap later.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That's not including the Asham and Powe going bye-bye. They have 13+ million in cap space, plus the 10% cushion during the summer. They'll be just fine.

except asham and powe didn't go bye bye they are still here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad