Waived: Wild waive Teemu Pulkkinen (cleared)

JS91

May 14, 2014
I feel like some team should take a chance at Pulkkinen. Put him on a line with an elite playmaker who allows him to just focus on getting open to unload that shot of his. Best case scenario he turns into a 20-30 goal scorer, worst case scenario he busts and they can just waive him or have him as a depth forward. Basically a no risk move that could potentially pay off.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Was a lot more upset with the Frk waive than this. Pulkinnen's size and puck skills will never be good enough to be more than a third liner imo. If he does ever figure out how to use that shot at the nhl level he could be more but I just don't see it.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Was a lot more upset with the Frk waive than this. Pulkinnen's size and puck skills will never be good enough to be more than a third liner imo. If he does ever figure out how to use that shot at the nhl level he could be more but I just don't see it.

ya that shot is worthless if it takes 45 minutes to get off. maybe if somone used him on the point on the powerplay it would work but they would give up a ton of shorties.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What's the excuse for his high Shot for?

His zone adjusted CA60Rel, xGA60Rel are still insanely high.

I think a lot of people need to really understand what the hell Corsi is measuring.

Shots on Goal.

Thats it man. Not scoring chances, not who actually scored. Not how the play is actually developing. SHOTS ON GOAL. That is all.

People IMPLY what that means. But its ONLY a measure of Shots on Goal.

I have 1 sentence to explain why pulkkinen will have a GREAT Corsi no matter who he plays with....

He shoots A LOT, like always, like whenever he has the puck in the offensive zone, he shoots it. Not a good angle? Who cares shoot it. Hope for a rebound. Shoot Shoot Shoot. Thats what is happening in his mind. So he will ALWAYS win SOG. stats.

Corsi is a SOG stat. Thats it.

I mean that is fine for him to do. But implying that Pulkkinen is "controlling play" because of his Corsi, is a great way to NOT UNDERSTAND what corsi measures vs what some people think Corsi IMPLIES.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was interesting when Mike Babcock was pissed of about Hudler and Filppula not shooting the puck enough. This was the case for years.

When Pulkkinen was called up, I thought, finally Babs got his shooter. I was sure that now, this guy will fit for sure on his demands... and it didn't take long to get on his doghouse.

Pulkkinen has now been doghoused by four different coaches in last 5 seasons. Frist at Jokerit by finnish master-mind Erkka Westerlund, then twice at Detroit by both Babcock and Blashill (under he thrived in AHL) and last WHC also with Finnish National team by Kari Jalonen.

There's something wrong down there.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
In 2008-09, Pukes was supposed to challenge Hall for the 1st OA status... ah, the good ol' days. Granlund and Pulkkinen, the next Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne.

He'll be back in Europe in no time.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Yes, very promising stats, but

He played very few minutes with short average shifts with very high amount of offensive zone starts with high quality team mates against low quality opponents. All of these factors weigh in positively for Corsi, and while we don't KNOW how much it affects it, it does.

One thing is for certain, similarly to 2013 Sami Vatanen, Pulkkinen isn't a possession beast, it becomes evident by watching him play.

He isn't a black hole defensively, he is even above average. But what he isn't, is for example making Datsyuk fare better in puck possession by being there for him. He is giving Datsyuk easier starts and easier competition AND adequate puck support.

He isn't bleeding defensively, he is looking good with his minutes. But those minutes are heavily sheltered and shouldn't be compared for example for RoR's minutes, who has considerably worse Corsi than Pulkkinen.

Let's make an example of the other end of the spectrum:

You like your Finns don't you. Look at Ristolainen's "effect on team mates Corsi". You'll notice a trend that EVERY ONE does worse with Ristolainen. Is it because he is worse at defence than Pulkkinen, or is because of the type of minutes Risto plays with one of the worst "1st pairing D's" as his pair in Gorges. Everyone who plays with Risto gets to play with average QoT against highest of the highest QoC with few or no offensive zone starts.

A+ post

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
I think a lot of people need to really understand what the hell Corsi is measuring.

Shots on Goal.

Thats it man. Not scoring chances, not who actually scored. Not how the play is actually developing. SHOTS ON GOAL. That is all.

People IMPLY what that means. But its ONLY a measure of Shots on Goal.

I have 1 sentence to explain why pulkkinen will have a GREAT Corsi no matter who he plays with....

He shoots A LOT, like always, like whenever he has the puck in the offensive zone, he shoots it. Not a good angle? Who cares shoot it. Hope for a rebound. Shoot Shoot Shoot. Thats what is happening in his mind. So he will ALWAYS win SOG. stats.

Corsi is a SOG stat. Thats it.

I mean that is fine for him to do. But implying that Pulkkinen is "controlling play" because of his Corsi, is a great way to NOT UNDERSTAND what corsi measures vs what some people think Corsi IMPLIES.
Corsi is not only tracking shots on goal. And if you'll notice, the guy you quoted mentioned his Corsi Against, not his Corsi For.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Amazing to see how many people are high on Pulkkinen. Maybe one of the leagues finest examples of how advanced stats can be absolutely meaningless and misleading.

Wow. Detroit is waiving some good guys.

This is Pulkkinen:
dive.0.gif

pulk.0.gif

Bonus:

giphy.gif

Pulkkinen the goalscorer whiffing on a great scoring chance set up by one of the guys that waiving Pulkks+Frk created room for.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
We are talking 4th line here. Pulkkinen and Frk aren't 4th line material. They don't play that type of game, so yeah, Ott is better in that role than either of them.

The last time I checked, the rule book did not stipulate how a team's 4th line had to play. Coaches can do literally and figuratively anything they want. If you typecast players by "styles" that lines should play, you're probably shortchaning yourself as a team.

That said, if Frk and Pulkkinen are not NHL caliber players, so be it. If they have only one NHL-caliber skill and it cannot be utilized on a "4th" line, then losing them is no big deal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Corsi is not only tracking shots on goal. And if you'll notice, the guy you quoted mentioned his Corsi Against, not his Corsi For.

Low Corsi against numbers happen, when you start lot from offensive zone. It takes long time period to defensive zone to get a shot attempt against. Flawed stat. Especially if you play with good centermen (like Pulkkinen id, went with best faceoff guys Datsyuk and Glendening in different lines) who can win the faceoff and keep the puck control away from opposite team.

Same at defensive zone, good faceoff center makes those stats look nice. Win the DZone faceoff, and there's no shot attempt against for a while. This has nothing to do with Pulkkinen.

Pulkkinen started most from offensive zone and least from defensive zone. His numbers are based on his USAGE, not his level of play.

His zone adjusted CA60Rel, xGA60Rel are still insanely high.

I also don't think that those "adjusted" data corrections with Zone Starts correct enough these numbers right. I've had quite different results with my own analyze.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be good scorer at some other place. But Detroit winger slots are crowded, and there's also new prospect material coming in 1-2 years with higher potential, so maybe it's time to move somewhere else.

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Amazing to see how many people are high on Pulkkinen. Maybe one of the leagues finest examples of how advanced stats can be absolutely meaningless and misleading.

This is Pulkkinen:
dive.0.gif

pulk.0.gif

Bonus:

giphy.gif

Pulkkinen the goalscorer whiffing on a great scoring chance set up by one of the guys that waiving Pulkks+Frk created room for.

Draw two calls and missed a scoring chance?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
The last time I checked, the rule book did not stipulate how a team's 4th line had to play. Coaches can do literally and figuratively anything they want. If you typecast players by "styles" that lines should play, you're probably shortchaning yourself as a team.

That said, if Frk and Pulkkinen are not NHL caliber players, so be it. If they have only one NHL-caliber skill and it cannot be utilized on a "4th" line, then losing them is no big deal.

Call them the 2nd line. The 1st line. It doesn't matter. They aren't good enough to displace any of the "top-9," and they would get eaten alive in the "grinder" role.

They might be 3rd-liners on another team, but look at the Wings roster and tell me who, even including the "4th line," they would displace skill-wise, grit-wise, and/or leadership-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad