Waived: Wild waive Teemu Pulkkinen (cleared)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Someone needs to do a where are they now version of Kenny Holland's draft picks over the last 10 to 15 years. For the one thing he's supposed to excell at he's been bloody ****ing awful.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
This screams Toronto to me.
First in waiver claim priority, Babs connection, and we're missing pure finishers/shooters in the lineup.

Line 1: JVR is a shooter.
Line 2: ???
Line 3: Matthews / Nylander both shooters.
Line 4: ???

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
First in waiver claim priority, Babs connection, and we're missing pure finishers/shooters in the lineup.

He's not a Babcock player.... at all. No chance he'd get to play in Toronto.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Pulkkinen under Babcock was far more of a pressbox kind of guy. Then playing on the team. Not sure if Babcock would be interested in Pulkkinen i could see Ron Francis taking him as well. Heard that Francis had interest in him around the Datsyuk deal.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
So the Legend of Pulkkinen is getting already done? Those past threads about him were pure gold.

Considering he has shown pretty much nothing in NHL, I don't think he gets claimed. As funny as it may sound, Frk, for example, hasn't proved to be unable to translate his game to NHL, where Pulkkinen has.

But there might be a team willing to take a flyer on him and hope he shows something in NHL he hasn't shown yet.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
He's not a Babcock player.... at all. No chance he'd get to play in Toronto.

Pulkkinen under Babcock was far more of a pressbox kind of guy. Then playing on the team. Not sure if Babcock would be interested in Pulkkinen i could see Ron Francis taking him as well. Heard that Francis had interest in him around the Datsyuk deal.

Thanks for the input.

All I really know about Pulk is he has a fkn rocket :laugh:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Any chance Minnesota could take Pulkkinen? He has a lot of history playing with Mikael Granlund. Both of them might be wingers now but it would make sense to try them in same line anyways.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I look at Pulkkinen's relative corsi stats and he seems to make everyone around him better, by a significant amount. Even Pavel Datsyuk had 63.4% 5v5 corsi with Pulkkinen, 57.0% without(Pulkkinen had 56.5% without Datsyuk so it wouldn't be a case of carrying). 0.33 PPG for a 4th liner also is much higher than league average, it's a legitimate top 9 scoring rate and this with miserable ice time.

I feel like he deserved a fair shot at a top 6 role.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Leivo and Soshnikov coming back from minor injuries will fix that pretty fast.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Maybe Holland plans to sign Dan Cleary again and needs a roster spot for him? Why waive both Frk and Pulkkinen otherwise?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I look at Pulkkinen's relative corsi stats and he seems to make everyone around him better, by a significant amount. Even Pavel Datsyuk had 63.4% 5v5 corsi with Pulkkinen, 57.0% without(Pulkkinen had 56.5% without Datsyuk so it wouldn't be a case of carrying). 0.33 PPG for a 4th liner also is much higher than league average, it's a legitimate top 9 scoring rate and this with miserable ice time.

I feel like he deserved a fair shot at a top 6 role.

You might want to look his OZS%. Though the effect is smallish, in Pulks case going by HockeyAnalysis it amounts to over 3 percentage points effect in 5vs5 Corsi.

So (strictly going by Pulks OZS% and not looking at Datsyuks and Pulks OZS% together) Datsyuk would have around 60 CF% with Pulkkinen, 57% without (strictly going by assuming Datsyuk has exactly 50 OZS% without Pulks).

You also might want to look at Pulks quality of competition, which can have effect far larger than the three percentage points, so in fact Datsyuk could have fared worse with Pulkkinen than without him, unless

Datsyuk had same or harder QoC with Pulks than he had without.
Datsyuk had same or lesser QoT with Pulks than he had without.

It's very hard to make these Corsi effect comparisons by looking with/without stats. These other effects were very much visible for example for Anaheim's Vatanen's with/without stats in 2013 (heavily sheltered). Especially compared to the games last season when he was playing the Fowler role (hard minutes with high QoC and few offensive zone starts).

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
hope calgary gets to claim him. he's better than any of our current choices (chiaisson, vey) for a top line rw

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
With Huberdeau gone for months, Florida should probably try him in their top six.

This is what I thought. A similar type of low cost lottery ticket as was Pirri a couple of seasons ago. Except not having to pay for a 3rd and 5th this time.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You might want to look his OZS%. Though the effect is smallish, in Pulks case going by HockeyAnalysis it amounts to over 3 percentage points effect in 5vs5 Corsi.

According to HockeyAnalysis, it only has 1 % unit's effect on his Fenwick % so I doubt it has 3 % units' effect on his Corsi %. And it's nowhere near enough to offset something like: Larkin with Pulkkinen 54.0%, Pulkkinen without Larkin 59.0%, Larkin without Pulkkinen 51.7% considering that the zone start %s when together are 59.4%, Pulkkinen apart 69.1% and Larkin apart 60.8%. The effect isn't that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad