Post-Game Talk: Wild vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Armia's spot on PP in FEL was in the middle of the SH box. That's where he was snapping those PP goals from (mostly). And given that how strong he is now it wouldn't be wrong to put him in front of the net. He could then move away a bit to get to "his point" when there's an opportunity.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Armia's spot on PP in FEL was in the middle of the SH box. That's where he was snapping those PP goals from (mostly). And given that how strong he is now it wouldn't be wrong to put him in front of the net. He could then move away a bit to get to "his point" when there's an opportunity.
Yup. Last season when Laine got injured Armia played those 8 games in 2th PP-unit and that exactly same spot. I don't know how he(or anyone) could be useful passively in that spot. Larger rink is a different story. Frustrating to watch really. Naturally he should be in the front of the net or leftside shooter(Last season he was ONCE in that spot and PING! Ripped the crossbar).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Except he didn't feed Laine where it was absolutely appropriate, and frankly, by far the better play. This was the trend from last year too.

Hockey is a fast game - when an appropriate pass is delivered to you and you have an open lane, you take the shot.

I also don't think it is smart to equate their shots. Laine has a generational, almost never-before-seen shot. "Two dangerous shots" is an extremely misleading way to put it, although I absolutely agree that Laine cannot be the only threat. I have also stated this on multiple occasions.

I did not equate Buff's shot to Laine's - I stated that Buff has a very powerful and dangerous shot. Go back and look at some PP stats for him over the last 5 years. Laine's shot is definitely superior - I've never argued otherwise. I've simply stated that having another player with a dangerous shot out there who actually throws it at the net on occasion keeps the opposition honest.

And no need for the straw-man. There is nothing wrong with Buff shooting, as I have now said multiple times. But when there is a Laine ripper available with the D scrambling, and you opt not to do that, you have failed to maximize the scoring potential on that play. That does not take away the good plays Buff makes, but it is completely crapping on the maximum potential that the PP has.

It's not a straw-man when this is your opening argument:

Buff had, once again a completely moronic idea to shoot a wrister through traffic when Laine was completely open in his office. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out which decision will most likely result in a goal.

I love Laine. I think he'll play one of the biggest parts in the future success of the Jets. All I'm stating is that we shouldn't undersell Buff and what his "danger" factor brings to the PP, including opening up Laine because other players pay attention to him because he can also put the puck in the net.

In any event, I like them on the PP together. I think it's situational regarding when Buff shoots or doesn't shoot. I do think that Buff understands that Laine will be the best option most of the time, but if you become too predictable, it could cost us some points on the PP. Just my opinion.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Hockey is a fast game - when an appropriate pass is delivered to you and you have an open lane, you take the shot.

I did not equate Buff's shot to Laine's - I stated that Buff has a very powerful and dangerous shot. Go back and look at some PP stats for him over the last 5 years. Laine's shot is definitely superior - I've never argued otherwise. I've simply stated that having another player with a dangerous shot out there who actually throws it at the net on occasion keeps the opposition honest.

It's not a straw-man when this is your opening argument:

I love Laine. I think he'll play one of the biggest parts in the future success of the Jets. All I'm stating is that we shouldn't undersell Buff and what his "danger" factor brings to the PP, including opening up Laine because other players pay attention to him because he can also put the puck in the net.

In any event, I like them on the PP together. I think it's situational regarding when Buff shoots or doesn't shoot. I do think that Buff understands that Laine will be the best option most of the time, but if you become too predictable, it could cost us some points on the PP. Just my opinion.

Buff may have been the main driver of the power play for five years. It does not matter AT ALL after Laine is drafted. The game plan should change accordingly.

I should have not been so harsh in my words against Buff, this I admit. It was such a "not again" moment for me after seeing the same thing going on from last year. I was so naive that I was entertaining the thought that Buff is doing it on purpose to help with the draft. That being said, I was only critizing this one play, not Buff in general (unless he just won't adapt).

It does not mean Buff is not a great player. This should not grant him a free pass though. If you think the play I am referring to was ok, then so be it. It would not be ok on my team. That is not to say people cannot make mistakes, but hopefully they remain the exceptions.

And yes, it was a straw-man. Even in my opening argument I am not claiming that Buff should never shoot. It's as clear a straw-man as can be.

One more time, my point is not that we don't need secondary threats, because we absolutely do. But if the Jets don't ride Laine's shot to the maximum on the power play, then there are serious issues with competence in the team.

I love Buff, I just don't think we should give him a free pass when does bone-headed plays. Laine is open and the D is scrambling, pass to Laine. No exceptions.

Ultimately it boils down to if you think that play was ok or not. I thought absolutely not, but naturally people can disagree.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Are you basing this on Roslovic 's play in TC?

Basing it on how his game is developing. I think he has much more offensive skill
than Lowry and his 200ft game may need some work but he might not be that far
off right now. If not Roslo then I would have Copp centering Connor and Armia.
Lowry to 4C where he should also be playing a meaner type game.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Basing it on how his game is developing. I think he has much more offensive skill
than Lowry and his 200ft game may need some work but he might not be that far
off right now. If not Roslo then I would have Copp centering Connor and Armia.
Lowry to 4C where he should also be playing a meaner type game.

We get our first chance to see him on TV tonight. I'm not sure how you'd know how his game is developing without actually seeing him play yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad