Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Rangers: Lion King Edition

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Toronto's been skidding pretty hard lately. They have a guy (Paul Ranger) on D that make's MDZ look great (is that Ranger coincidence?)...It's time for the Rangers to actually put a winning streak together...I think Talbot's in net for sure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ladies and gentlemen...

tumblr_mveyjpsrV91swpoago1_500.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Benoit Pouliot had 6 hits.

What's gotten into the guy? I like it.

Someone brought it up, not sure if Joe or Sam; every one of his stats right down the line is great since he was a healthy scratch. Maybe he got the message.

Pouliot has always been an enigmatic player, but he's still better than he has been. If he can play at least like he normally does, we'll get something out of him.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
Very entertaining game; getting a win doesn't hurt either. Though there were some lapses, there were also some plays that showed a beautiful combination of creativity and structure (like the Brassard-Zuccarello goal), as opposed to -- in the words of the great Patches O'Houlihan -- the usual "bunch of Pejorative Slurs trying to hump a doorknob." Still, as much as I hope this win is our season's inflection point, my skepticism (perhaps cynicism) prevails; this win could be an outlier rather than a new phase. One thing's for sure: the start of a turnaround would certainly be one helluva Christmas / holiday present. :)

Outside the obvious, after watching DZ the past few games, I'm starting to think there may actually be a place for him on the team. He is definitely prone to defensive lapses -- no question about that -- but he makes some incredible stretch passes. Considering our generally having at least one fast or strong skater on each line -- CK, Nash, Hags and (to some extent) Moore come to mind -- the No. 4's stretch passes could produce some breakaways (for us). And, if not, at least the other team would have to respect that possibility. In my humble opinion, DZ is a serviceable defenseman, but we (in the royal sense) need to take into account his weaknesses if we want to get as much as possible out of his strengths. Returning him to LD was a smart move; pairing him with a defensively responsible partner is all the better. With that in mind, perhaps a top-four of [#27 - #6] and [#4 - #5] is worth exploring, even if just for one game. (I don't know if AV has tried that combo.)

On a separate note: Could someone explain why Kreider has been getting benched recently? I'm not asking rhetorically or out of annoyance. I still see him skating hard and making some good puck decisions. Have I missed any glaring mistakes?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
pouliot has been significantly better the past week or 2. he actually looks like an NHL player. he still has pathetic balance for an nhler though lol.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
pouliot has been significantly better the past week or 2. he actually looks like an NHL player. he still has pathetic balance for an nhler though lol.
he always had the talent whihc is why he was a top 5 pick, If he can play similar to this most games that will help bigtime. We still need nash and stepan to wake up. Stepan has been a major disappointment this year maybe it was missing teh entire training camp. His passing ability has been very suspect this year

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
McDonagh in the post game just referred to standing up for Zucc after Cooke hit him as somewhat of a turning point.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
He needs to, at the minimum, split time with Hank until Hank pulls his head out of the depths of his behind.
Give hank the rest of the year off. However if we win the next 4 then by all means keep playing Talbot. I dont care how much money hank makes he has been outplayed by Cam this year

Wolfy*

McDonagh in the post game just referred to standing up for Zucc after Cooke hit him as somewhat of a turning point.

Yeah taking on our best, and smallest, player on the ice...of course the Rangers got mad and the spark ignited them.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Yeah taking on our best, and smallest, player on the ice...of course the Rangers got mad and the spark ignited them.

Now imagine if that tackle had been on a soccer player. We'd still be waiting on him to get up off the ground

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Very entertaining game; getting a win doesn't hurt either. Though there were some lapses, there were also some plays that showed a beautiful combination of creativity and structure (like the Brassard-Zuccarello goal), as opposed to -- in the words of the great Patches O'Houlihan -- the usual "bunch of Pejorative Slurs trying to hump a doorknob." Still, as much as I hope this win is our season's inflection point, my skepticism (perhaps cynicism) prevails; this win could be an outlier rather than a new phase. One thing's for sure: the start of a turnaround would certainly be one helluva Christmas / holiday present. :)

Outside the obvious, after watching DZ the past few games, I'm starting to think there may actually be a place for him on the team. He is definitely prone to defensive lapses -- no question about that -- but he makes some incredible stretch passes. Considering our generally having at least one fast or strong skater on each line -- CK, Nash, Hags and (to some extent) Moore come to mind -- the No. 4's stretch passes could produce some breakaways (for us). And, if not, at least the other team would have to respect that possibility. In my humble opinion, DZ is a serviceable defenseman, but we (in the royal sense) need to take into account his weaknesses if we want to get as much as possible out of his strengths. Returning him to LD was a smart move; pairing him with a defensively responsible partner is all the better. With that in mind, perhaps a top-four of [#27 - #6] and [#4 - #5] is worth exploring, even if just for one game. (I don't know if AV has tried that combo.)

On a separate note: Could someone explain why Kreider has been getting benched recently? I'm not asking rhetorically or out of annoyance. I still see him skating hard and making some good puck decisions. Have I missed any glaring mistakes?

I've also been puzzled by Kreider not getting enough time. I suspect it is because of some defensive lapses. I also think he's been playing with Nash, and as a putative top line they've done almost nothing, though I think most of the blame should go to Stepan and Nash, not Kreider. Whatever, he deserved that goal he got, he was skating like mad, the fact that the goalie whiffed was incidental. Bout time we caught a break - shows when you play hard, forecheck hard and with speed where the other team is on their heels, you get the breaks.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I've also been puzzled by Kreider not getting enough time. I suspect it is because of some defensive lapses. I also think he's been playing with Nash, and as a putative top line they've done almost nothing, though I think most of the blame should go to Stepan and Nash, not Kreider. Whatever, he deserved that goal he got, he was skating like mad, the fact that the goalie whiffed was incidental. Bout time we caught a break - shows when you play hard, forecheck hard and with speed where the other team is on their heels, you get the breaks.
Kreider's defense has actually been much improved this year. Kreider is simply taking the blame for Nash and stepan playing like crap. AV wont bench nash and stepan so he benches the rookie. Its funny because the rookie is tied for the lead in goals and has played less games than most of the top guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad