Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Jets | MTS Centre | Thu Sep 19, 7pm

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Jets actually have a pretty good system and one that is employed by the Stanley cup winners Chicago. A very high temp forecheck with 2 men deep pressuring the puck at all times in the offensive zone. Once they retrieve the puck they will employ a cycle that will include the D men pinching at will.

They also want to stay "high" in the neutral zone and have the wingers funnel everything to the middle. This should allow for quick transitions on turnovers that should lead to odd man breaks.

Their defensive zone coverage is a fairly standard triangle down low where the 2 defense men and center try to form triangles to help support the puck and also provide coverage on passing lanes. They don't want the wingers cheating down low in the defensive zone and prefer them to stay high with the off puck winger watching for guys sneaking into the high slot.

When they follow the system plan and work hard, because these systems require a very high tempo to maintain, they are usually are pretty effective. LLW really work this too their advantage because of their combination of size,speed and skill.

I also think this is why a guy like Jokinen had a rough time last year as he doesn't seem to excel in a high tempo system. Which also means that guys like Frolik and Seto should excel in this system as Frolik played it in Chicago and Seto has the physical and skill prereqs to do it.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you guys really think that Noel isn't trying to wake his players up for a game?

These are grown men, pros, as they like to call themselves.

If they aren't ready to play, it's that one iduviduals problem. It's an issue with consultancy, the same issue we have been trying to dissolve since the mess that was the Thrashers came to town. This group has improved every year.

If you watched any Atlanta Thrashers games, you would know that this unit is far better coached now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It is the preseason
Every team has motivation issues when you these many games.

I will not pass judgement in this until the regular season starts

The Wild were in their first pre-season game and had little problem with motivation. Motivation should come from a sense of pride in doing your best at all times, not just when you feel like it. IMO these pre-season games are showing who's got the drive and intensity to be a real force on this team.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
The Wild were in their first pre-season game and had little problem with motivation. Motivation should come from a sense of pride in doing your best at all times, not just when you feel like it. IMO these pre-season games are showing who's got the drive and intensity to be a real force on this team.

Exactly, it was their first game. The jets have played 4 already.
Pal most everyone on hug at wild team is fighting to keep a job

Most of the team last night was the players that have already made this team
The preseason means nothing to them
Their main goal is to get out without being hurt.

If it continues into the regular season, then it becomes an issue.

Until that point, this is a non story as far as I am concerned.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
For those who keep saying don't worry its only pre-season, remember that we missed the playoffs by periods last year. We don't want to be working out lines and chemistry when the season starts, because every game is going to count. Now is the time to get the lines sorted out and let them play together. LLW is a good example of line mates being able to throw the puck around with barely a look because they know how each other works.

I fully understand that there is probably still some evaluation going on (why else would Wright be playing top six???) but I think everyone knows what lines need to be run right now to give us the best chance to win. So I hope that the experimentation is getting close to the end so that we can start working the wrinkles out of our game.

The complete and utter mess of the late game line mixing just reeks of desperation and is very hard to watch, but of course I'll watch all of it :)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It will be interesting to see what lineup changes Noel makes for saturday. Trouba Frolik for sure I would think.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Exactly, it was their first game. The jets have played 4 already.
Pal most everyone on hug at wild team is fighting to keep a job

Most of the team last night was the players that have already made this team
The preseason means nothing to them
Their main goal is to get out without being hurt.

If it continues into the regular season, then it becomes an issue.

Until that point, this is a non story as far as I am concerned.

I thought that the main goal of pre-season is to iron out any issues that will prevent you from winning games in the regular season? I just hate apathy and mediocrity in anything, especially sports. It drives me crazy to see talented people coast.

I do understand what you're saying, but I get a little high strung with sports and competition of any kind.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't really buy the motivation angle:

Wheeler got benched for making an ugly pass that resulted in a goal.
Seto had a yucky game and ended up on the 4th line.
Jokinen was just a mess.

I don't chalk that up to motivation.

And when things started going poorly, James Wright and Anthony Peluso were elevated into scoring roles and fed a boat load of powerplay time.

One would think this to be a preseason exclusive tactic.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Notice a pattern:

Jokinen stunk last year in pre-season, Jokinen stunk last year during the regular season, Jokinen has stunk so far this pre-season....

Put a fork in him, he's done..

There is only one reason why Jokinen gets to dress..... because we are paying him a ____load of money.

The Jets premiss is.... if we are paying you a tonne of money, we might as well dress you, no matter how lacking of skill you are.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I thought that the main goal of pre-season is to iron out any issues that will prevent you from winning games in the regular season? I just hate apathy and mediocrity in anything, especially sports. It drives me crazy to see talented people coast.

I do understand what you're saying, but I get a little high strung with sports and competition of any kind.

If the point of the preseason was to iron out those details then players like Morrissey would not touch the ice.

And on a side note, not that it makes it excusable, but see are not being paid until the regular season starts.

Money is a pretty big motivating factor for allot of people

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

It was not their first preseason game. Gary Lawless was incorrect (quelle surprise) when he said that on the radio yesterday.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why do people keep saying this?

Can someone actually give a legit reason as to why he is a AHL coach?

Oh wait... It's because they can't.

Played Pavelec all but four games last year, including too many back-to-back games. I suppose you've seen the stats break-downs on Pav's performance on 0 days rest. It's atrocious. Does Noel even pay attention to these issues? Hard to tell.

The PP was absolutely atrocious last year, and Noel kept playing Jokinen on the point on the power play even when it was painfully obvious that he was inept in that role. Despite his horrendous performance last year, Noel kept playing Jokinen (over better options, including Burmi). The rationale, presumably, was that Jokinen was a vet and a leader.

At a crucial stage in the season, Noel decided to take one of his best D (Buff) and play him at forward, even though that player hadn't played that position for ages. It was a disaster on the ice, and almost certainly pissed off Buff and puzzled the rest of the team. I called it a "peewee hockey" move at the time, and I still stick by that opinion.

Before coaching the Jets, Noel's NHL coaching experience was a grand total of 24 games, in which his team garnered a total of 16 points.

If you want more detailed reasons why some are skeptical of Noel, see here (http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/8/15/4610018/winnipeg-jets-playoffs-bust-claude-noel).

I like Noel generally in terms of his public persona, but I think that he needs to be accountable for the decisions he makes and how he coaches the team. My opinion is that he gets tunnel vision about players and how they are used, and gets out-coached too often.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the point of the preseason was to iron out those details then players like Morrissey would not touch the ice.

And on a side note, not that it makes it excusable, but see are not being paid until the regular season starts.

Not sure if you are being serious.... :huh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Of course there has been a lot of evaluation going on, and more than usual as indicated by our longer than usual pre-season. I was happy to see a lot of our prospects get a chance to play for the Jets, and it was a very valuable exercise imo.

I think I was more frustrated because this was a direct rival, we dressed a lot of our NHL regulars, and they looked like caca against a bunch of young inexperienced guys. It was a tough way to start our rivalry.

Speaking of Morrissey, he could almost start today over some of our other depth Defense. He is already a great player and held his own perfectly fine in his (second?) NHL pre-season game. Just a little small, but hides it well.

I'm breathing again, and feel much better.:)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey, i can hate and admire at the same time! Already have him and Bogosian picked out as the "villains" on the Jets.

I love this post rynryn :handclap:

That's the spirit!! I am going to love this rivalry, we got a taste of it in 2011-12 and its seems the teams really didn't like each other then....it is so much more fun to watch games when the teams hate each other!!

I am not sure who I am going to have a deep distain for on the Wild yet......I think Heater is a useless sack of 5hit but that is not the type of thing you are referring to.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am
As far as I know pay days don't start until the regular season begins

They don't get paid in the the playoffs either

So, by that logic, they wouldn't be motivated in the playoffs, either. Strange logic.

I think that players are motivated by playing in meaningful games, and pre-season games aren't meaningful. So I am not surprised at a lack of intensity.

Players are also motivated by trying to make a team, so many of the veteran Jets are probably unmotivated by a pre-season game.

My comment about Noel had nothing to do with the Jets showing a lack of motivation last night - that's on the players. I am concerned with the overall body of Noel's work, and a growing concern that he hasn't been learning and improving his own coaching approach at the NHL level. I admit that I could be completely wrong, but coaching does make a difference in the NHL and I don't see any signs that the Jets have an edge in that area, and several signs that they might be out-coached too often.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Sorry --- you're right - 26 points in 24 games. My mistake.

Still not a stellar NHL resume.

I don't mind bringing up great AHL coaches. I just haven't seen much about Noel's coaching that gives me confidence that he is a "plus" contributor to the Jets' success.

He was an assistant in the NHL for 4 years. Why must he always be refereed to an AHL coach. Plus have you seen some of the other coaches out there?!?!

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
well.. the guy he took over for had coached the team to a 22-27-9 record, so 10-8-6 with the same team doesn't actually look too bad.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
I wonder if the people here freaking out over a preseason loss are the same people who flood this place with "GAAAH FIRE CHEVY NOW!!!!!!#%$#$" comments immediately after he makes all his first round selections in the draft.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There is only one reason why Jokinen gets to dress..... because we are paying him a ____load of money.

The Jets premiss is.... if we are paying you a tonne of money, we might as well dress you, no matter how lacking of skill you are.

To be fair, the Jets are not the only culprits of this behaviour.

I ended up PVRing the game and then skipping it as I went along. Morrissey stood out in a positive way apart from one gaffe in the first, and Pardy looked like Randy Jones 2.0. Lots of lazy play too. I know there might have been a few ice issues, but some of the play with the puck was just general laziness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad