Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hazy being a homer is only part of why he is annoying. The other is, he never shuts up. He somehow thinks it's his duty to talk over the game with some of the most meaningless minutia. How many times do we have to hear him whine about goalie equipment? And Ahlers tell him he's lost his membership in the goalie union? He should let Ahlers call the game and during stops in play make a comment or two about a play or the game in general. The overall problem with those ass hats is that they make the broadcast about them and not the game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hazy being a homer is only part of why he is annoying. The other is, he never shuts up. He somehow thinks it's his duty to talk over the game with some of the most meaningless minutia. How many times do we have to hear him whine about goalie equipment? And Ahlers tell him he's lost his membership in the goalie union? He should let Ahlers call the game and during stops in play make a comment or two about a play or the game in general. The overall problem with those ass hats is that they make the broadcast about them and not the game.

I don't think this is that uncommon. Their same banter gets old at times, but Hazy is one of the best at showing why a specific player did something. I think this is something that often gets overlooked about Hazy because people can't see past the homer aspect.

Reactions: dracom

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don't think this is that uncommon. Their same banter gets old at times, but Hazy is one of the best at showing why a specific player did something. I think this is something that often gets overlooked about Hazy because people can't see past the homer aspect.

I'm kind of surprised that Hazy is being called a homer. I have friends that are Kings fans and the Kings broadcasters are MUCH bigger homers. They can't even find it in them to say anything good about the other team. At least Hazy comments on nice plays by the other team. He also regularly compliments highly skilled players on the other team. On top of that, he does point out when the Ducks have made bad plays.

I don't think homer is a word that describes Hazy at all. I like Hazy as a broadcaster though. So, maybe I'm a homer about Hazy.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd trade Hayward/Ahlers and a thing of value for St Louis announcers

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah I don’t understand the homer talk. I could understand if a guy was openly rooting for the team at every turn like some guys actually do (in hockey and in other sports). But Hazy does have some knowledge about and does give credit to the other teams. And the broadcast should not be neutral anyway. It’s supposed to be geared towards Duck fans.

The whole talking during the game I blame on Ahlers entirely. Hazy wouldn’t have any reason to contribute to the conversation if the guy actually called the game instead of trying to shoot the BS with his partner while play is going on.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Isn't play by play just for radio though? Why do we need someone to tell us what's happening when we can see what's happening? The talk regarding the play I like the most is when they point out something behind the play that we couldn't see on the TV feed. Then they usually follow it up with a replay. I like our TV broadcast. The Kings announcers make me want to throw things at my TV though! They suck. Blatant homer central.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Isn't play by play just for radio though? Why do we need someone to tell us what's happening when we can see what's happening? The talk regarding the play I like the most is when they point out something behind the play that we couldn't see on the TV feed. Then they usually follow it up with a replay. I like our TV broadcast. The Kings announcers make me want to throw things at my TV though! They suck. Blatant homer central.

You kind of answered your own question. Lot's of times, on TV, it's hard to see the big picture and figure out who did what to create the situation we now see. A PxP guy who is paying attention (knows players on both teams at least by number if not by sight) will tell you all that as it is happening. Was it a crappy pass or was the receiver dogging it and not aware? Why is that player slow to get up while play is going on? There are lots of things you can see in person that you just can't see on TV. Obviously radio is more critical, but if you could see everything on TV then why bother even having a PxP guy.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm kind of surprised that Hazy is being called a homer. I have friends that are Kings fans and the Kings broadcasters are MUCH bigger homers. They can't even find it in them to say anything good about the other team. At least Hazy comments on nice plays by the other team. He also regularly compliments highly skilled players on the other team. On top of that, he does point out when the Ducks have made bad plays.

I don't think homer is a word that describes Hazy at all. I like Hazy as a broadcaster though. So, maybe I'm a homer about Hazy.

I disagree. I definitely would consider Hazy a homer. More so when Niedermayer was here. Who didn't love Scotty but he wouldn't shut up about him and even as a Duck fan it got kind of old. That said, I prefer Hazy to the Kings duo due to his hockey knowledge alone. I think Hazy is really good though. Ahlers.. ugh. He's awful. I think he's got a good voice for what he does, and I can stand his awful, repetitive jokes. However, I can't believe how often he gets the players names wrong. Just happens way too often for my liking.

I'd trade Hayward/Ahlers and a thing of value for St Louis announcers

Agreed, but Saint Louis has some of the best in the business.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Gee, all these bashing on announcers. Exactly what I need right now, as I'll be calling my second game as a play-by-play announcer on thursday. :laugh:

Seriously though, you have very good announcers in North America overall. You should listen to some of the Swedes calling NHL games. Ugh. Though it's gotten better over the years. A decade ago some color analyst went on about how much the Ducks were missing Joe Thornton. And when the play-by-play guy corrected him, the color analyst said "Oh yes.. I meant to say Marian Hossa". :facepalm:

Reactions: dracom and Duck Off
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad