GDT: Wild at Canes - Estaalo Hat trick incoming.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Even with all the bad games in January and February, if we had won just the three games we lost to the Coyotes and Avs, we'd be only two points out of the WC2 spot with games in hand.

Opportunities lost...

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
YES WE CAN

Let's look at sportsclubstats:

"Up 0.4% to 0.9%"

Oh, no. No we can't.

11-1-2 down the stretch for a 50/50 chance. Ha, no.

raw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sigh. I'm definitely one of the people that likes to see us playing decent as we end the season, even at the expense of our draft pick. But I really hope they don't take any of it too seriously and not address the serious issues we still have after the season.

But man what I wouldn't give for the miracle 10+ game winning streak like so many others have had this year. But it's probably just not our time for that. And us missing is not even just those games we lost against bad teams. But the number of points we've blown this year. I know like any team we've got some we didn't deserve too, but it sure seems like we blew way more and could really be in this thing. So very frustrating.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean, what the hell do they have to lose? We all know they are not getting a top 3 pick. Might as well go for it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Our goalie was the difference maker in this game and outplayed their goalie. Yeah, I know in Brooklyn our goalie was better than their goalie, but it was more of a case of our goalie was the less bad one. Lack came up big when the team needed him to.

Aho had a much better game last night. Engaged, A few strong scoring chances, and more jump. Teravainen, while still soft and too easy to push off the puck was much more noticeable.

Oh, and I saw something I've never seen before. There were about 5 security personnel standing at the entrance to 124/5 last night. When I asked what was up, one of them told me "Seat Jumpers". I pointed to all the empty seats and said "seriously?" They didn't respond, but I could tell via body language they were thinking the same thing. I'm guessing somebody was sitting in the wrong seats and when the rightful owners showed up, they didn't just get up and move and caused a ruckus.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Murphy is such an interesting player. He's a bit of a disaster defensively, but he can carry the puck up the ice with the best of them. Unfortunately, once he's actually IN the offensive zone, he seems to lose all sense of offensive prowess.

Yep, this has been his issue all along and I'm not sure if it's lack of hockey sense (my view) or lack of confidence. He's never going to be strong defensively, but he has the physical tools to be an offensive force, like a Gostisbehere type player. If he can't, then their is no reason to have him on the ice. He doesn't get into open spots at the right time (like Ghost does), he takes way to long to get his shot off, and like you said, he skates it into the zone and has no clue what to do with it once he's in the zone and it usually ends up losing possession. Frustrating player.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
One thing I noticed last night was that Lack was really coming out of the crease and challenging shooters all night. Look at that first breakaway that Staal head in the first period...Lack came way out and gave Eric a bad angle that allowed Lack to block the shot. And he did it all night. He mentioned in the interview that he had been working with Marcoux over the last week between his starts and it seems he might be finally buying into what Marcoux has been trying to change in his game. I starting to think that if we trade/buyout one of the two guys this summer, maybe it should be Ward that we get rid of and not Lack.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
One thing I noticed last night was that Lack was really coming out of the crease and challenging shooters all night. Look at that first breakaway that Staal head in the first period...Lack came way out and gave Eric a bad angle that allowed Lack to block the shot. And he did it all night. He mentioned in the interview that he had been working with Marcoux over the last week between his starts and it seems he might be finally buying into what Marcoux has been trying to change in his game. I starting to think that if we trade/buyout one of the two guys this summer, maybe it should be Ward that we get rid of and not Lack.

This.

Maybe we've never given Eddie a fair shot, but maybe it's because he's never given himself a fair shot.

If he really buys in and Marcoux can actually improve his game, that would be... very interesting.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

It's like the Canes twitter feed read my mind. Take a look at his positioning on some of his saves last night:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This.

Maybe we've never given Eddie a fair shot, but maybe it's because he's never given himself a fair shot.

If he really buys in and Marcoux can actually improve his game, that would be... very interesting.

Simply too bad it took burning the bridge to get this kind of play from him.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
...or it could be that it was always there, and none of what the Canes have done helped Lack at all. After all, Lack was arguably this good before arriving in Raleigh.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
...or it could be that it was always there, and none of what the Canes have done helped Lack at all. After all, Lack was arguably this good before arriving in Raleigh.

Sure. But it seems pretty well established that he was comfortable playing one style, and the team demanded he play another. And it's pretty clear that he'll be out of here if he doesn't adapt.

So maybe he's adapting -- and maybe he'll be as good as he was before. Maybe he'll be better. Or maybe it's a flash in the pan and he'll be gone. Who knows, really?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Peters at least has a sense of humor. When asked if Lack will get the start against Nashville after this outing.

"Well, he sure deserves it," Peters said. "I don't know who could screw that decision up, but we'll see."

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Sure. But it seems pretty well established that he was comfortable playing one style, and the team demanded he play another. And it's pretty clear that he'll be out of here if he doesn't adapt.

So maybe he's adapting -- and maybe he'll be as good as he was before. Maybe he'll be better. Or maybe it's a flash in the pan and he'll be gone. Who knows, really?

What's odd to me is that whenever Lack gets back to back starts, he's almost always worse the 2nd game. It's almost like he needs to be in an actual 50/50 split to be successful (like he was in Vancouver). That happens to run directly opposed to how Peters never wants to change a lineup after a win.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What's odd to me is that whenever Lack gets back to back starts, he's almost always worse the 2nd game. It's almost like he needs to be in an actual 50/50 split to be successful (like he was in Vancouver). That happens to run directly opposed to how Peters never wants to change a lineup after a win.

Well, one of them will have to change soon, or we won't have one of them for very long.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Yeah, he'd better figure that out in a hurry, LOL

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

That's not unique to Lack...the average goalie performance across the league in b2b scenarios is worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad