Confirmed with Link: Wild acquire Zach Bogosian from Tampa for '25 7th

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So essentially its Addison for Bogosian. Nothing to really get worked up for either way. Addison became redundant because of Faber and Spurgeon, so it makes sense to move him out. Bogosian is a cheap replacement who might add some punch and grit and is on an expiring deal....and he's friends with Maroon.

Personally, I would've just moved Addison and used Mermis/Hunt in that 3rd pairing RD spot, but whatever.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the Klingberg, Sunquist, Nyquist and Johansson moves were supposed to "move the needle" in totality.

So essentially its Addison for Bogosian. Nothing to really get worked up for either way. Addison became redundant because of Faber and Spurgeon, so it makes sense to move him out. Bogosian is a cheap replacement who might add some punch and grit and is on an expiring deal....and he's friends with Maroon.

Personally, I would've just moved Addison and used Mermis/Hunt in that 3rd pairing RD spot, but whatever.
And moving up 2 rounds in the draft.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And back a year. Basically evens out.
I don't really take that into consideration. Never really understood that mindset. Once you're in that year, it's still that pick.

Teams exist in perpetuity, it's not like the pick isn't going to exist all of a sudden.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
All I'm saying is this deal (or pair of deals) doesn't move the needle at all either short term or long term, but at this point that's what most of the last couple of years have been for Guerin's moves. They don't make the team markedly better now or in the future, and they don't make the team markedly worse now or in the future. It's swapping parts he no longer likes for parts he does like. It's not positive or negative, it's just an observation based on his trade history.

Addison+7th for Bogosian+5th
7th for Maroon
Sustr+Nesterenko+4th for Klingberg
4th for Sundqvist
5th for Nyquist
3rd for Johansson
5th for Reaves
Kulikov for future considerations
Rask for future considerations
Kahkonen+5th for Middleton
3rd for Deslauriers
Sturm for Jost
etc

It's just a lot of deals where guys are coming in or going out for cheap, the guys going out weren't really anything special, the guys coming in don't really change the outcome of the season in any meaningful way, just a lot of swapping parts (and I already mentioned there were exceptions that ended up being bigger deals).

Again, not good or bad, just an observation of how he's generally conducted business over the last few years.
I mean, I could be reading it wrong but when you suggest a GM isn't making the team better or worse ... and we know our history of 1st round exits, that isn't only purely an neutral observation. It's an opinion that what the GM is doing is wrong, or least implication. And that would make perfect sense because we are all tired of those exits and want change. I disagree with anyone that what we have now if sufficient.

In addition, sometimes not just about the info you present but also the info you omit that shapes that discussion. You have listed all of these moves but would also miss out other moves as well that I believe have worked out for the better.

My point though is ... I'm truly not trying to diss you or argue against you. This is a message board and we all have our opinions and I think its asinine for anyone to suggest a fan needs to write up an essay so they have their voice heard. And I will outright tell everyone I'm more of a BG supporter than a naysayer.

So me bringing up Goligoski and Merrill tried to serve 2 purposes - 1) agreeing that BG has made some bad moves and is not the perfect GM (you can correct me if i'm wrong and your truly hold more of a neutral stance of BG) and 2) steer the convo back to Bogosian. Bogosian was not needed if we did have those damn Merrill/Goligoski contracts on our books. This was truly my attempt to try to find common ground with you as well as keep it discussion away from BG and to Bogosian

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I mean, I could be reading it wrong but when you suggest a GM isn't making the team better or worse ... and we know our history of 1st round exits, that isn't only purely an neutral observation. It's an opinion that what the GM is doing is wrong, or least implication. And that would make perfect sense because we are all tired of those exits and want change. I disagree with anyone that what we have now if sufficient.

In addition, sometimes not just about the info you present but also the info you omit that shapes that discussion. You have listed all of these moves but would also miss out other moves as well that I believe have worked out for the better.

My point though is ... I'm truly not trying to diss you or argue against you. This is a message board and we all have our opinions and I think its asinine for anyone to suggest a fan needs to write up an essay so they have their voice heard. And I will outright tell everyone I'm more of a BG supporter than a naysayer.

So me bringing up Goligoski and Merrill tried to serve 2 purposes - 1) agreeing that BG has made some bad moves and is not the perfect GM (you can correct me if i'm wrong and your truly hold more of a neutral stance of BG) and 2) steer the convo back to Bogosian. Bogosian was not needed if we did have those damn Merrill/Goligoski contracts on our books. This was truly my attempt to try to find common ground with you as well as keep it discussion away from BG and to Bogosian
One point of contention -- if a move is neutral is it a bad move? I am historically a BG hater, but I have had some of his moves that I am pleasantly surprised by:

Gustavsson, Nyquist, Johansson, Hartman, Gaudreau, Maroon, Middleton have pleasantly surprised me where I thought neutral moves have actually made us better which we realized after the fact (to the extent that we are still on the edge of contention with major cap constraints -- Nyquist fits this category the least). These moves have all made us better and looked neutral or at least looked like they didn't really move the needle to make us a cup contender. There are people on this board (me including for some of them) that either disagreed or said meh to each and every one of htese moves and these are all good role players or better.

I think it's probably true that none of these moves made us a cup contender. It is true that they made us better. What if there are no moves on the table that make us a cup contender? Or what if they move makes us a little bit better but not a contender. Should BG not try to make us a little bit better in small moves over time unless that move is a big swing that would make us a contender?

What if no big moves were out there?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
One point of contention -- if a move is neutral is it a bad move? I am historically a BG hater, but I have had some of his moves that I am pleasantly surprised by:

Gustavsson, Nyquist, Johansson, Hartman, Gaudreau, Maroon, Middleton have pleasantly surprised me where I thought neutral moves have actually made us better which we realized after the fact (to the extent that we are still on the edge of contention with major cap constraints -- Nyquist fits this category the least). These moves have all made us better and looked neutral or at least looked like they didn't really move the needle to make us a cup contender. There are people on this board (me including for some of them) that either disagreed or said meh to each and every one of htese moves and these are all good role players or better.

I think it's probably true that none of these moves made us a cup contender. It is true that they made us better. What if there are no moves on the table that make us a cup contender? Or what if they move makes us a little bit better but not a contender. Should BG not try to make us a little bit better in small moves over time unless that move is a big swing that would make us a contender?

What if no big moves were out there?
Hm...I can see the process of thinking and could be clarifying some points. A neutral looking move that shifts over time.

And the bolded is always the question. What can be perceived as laziness/complacency could really just meant there's no market to be had. And that's were personal trust in management comes in and where I draw the line for trying to argue because it so personal on how comfortable you feel and you rarely change minds (your or my own).

So I think let's leave it at that in danger of driving this convo way off topic.

Back on the topic: I do have one big concern with Bogosian ... we don't need Hartman/Foligno and now Bogosian showcase our lousy special teams...

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Hm...I can see the process of thinking and could be clarifying some points. A neutral looking move that shifts over time.

And the bolded is always the question. What can be perceived as laziness/complacency could really just meant there's no market to be had. And that's were personal trust in management comes in and where I draw the line for trying to argue because it so personal on how comfortable you feel and you rarely change minds (your or my own).

So I think let's leave it at that in danger of driving this convo way off topic.

Back on the topic: I do have one big concern with Bogosian ... we don't need Hartman/Foligno and now Bogosian showcase our lousy special teams...

Hey there’s diminishing returns on penalties, eventually the refs stop calling them and even them up. Bold strategy but maybe… lol

• Haha
Reactions: Circulartheory

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Small moustache dude out for Big Bearded Bogo?
I think we´re still in the same kind of defense trouble, but at least Bogo can throw a punch so there´s that

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Addison+7th for Bogo+5th+Raska isn’t horrific value. I thought Addison might have had at least 3rd round value, but why would SJ pay a high 3rd for him lol.

Reactions: Circulartheory

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I don't mind this trade. I haven't seen Bogosian play that much in the last 5sh years, so I can't really say much for or against him. Yes, he brings size. Yes, he brings grit. As long as he can make a simple outlet pass and isn't super slow taking hooking/tripping penalties, I am totally OK with it.

Look, we have a lot of D in Iowa but none of them are ready, especially the right handed ones (Spacek and Masters have been switching off - one in the lineup, the other one scratched). We didn't give up really anything of value, so if he pans out, awesome. If not, then Mermis/Hunt get some more minutes.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We gave up a 7th round pick which is pretty much nothing. The best is that Bogo does well and provides a better presence on the 3rd/4th pairing and beats out Goligoski and Merrill. The worst is he gets injured and he doesn't play much. But for a 7th that's better than anything.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018

I dont post much but i have a hard time forgetting this ruined his career

That is definitely a disgusting ugly play. Terrible outcome

At the same time who would turn into the boards with your head down near the Dasher?you’ve got to protect yourself. Most good players nowadays are leveraging and throwing reverse hits.

behind the net in the oppposing zone?- head up aware of who is coming.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
If it helps stabilize the bottom pairing im all for it. A 7th is nothing really.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You can now credit both Rossi and Faber as key guys brought in under his watch...

The list isn't exactly long though. Most key guys were acquired before BG arrived.

It's not a trade, but locking up Eriksson Ek for 8 years at $5.25m AAV is something I would add to that list.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's not a trade, but locking up Eriksson for 8 years at $5.25m AAV is something I would add to that list.
Agreed. He also took a swing on Johansson and that has worked out okay.

Boldy is another one that may end up being a damn good deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00