Confirmed with Link: Wild acquire Zach Bogosian from Tampa for '25 7th

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So I assume the parade is going straight down Kellogg? I wanna get there early to get a good seat

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I will enact a new "Pat Maroon Rule" for myself and be open to this.

I'm not upset about the deal, I used to like Bogosian a lot (he's gotta be one of the last Thrashers in the league right?). I just don't understand the point I guess. I suppose he's bigger and grittier so that's neat for the next 5 months, but he's a 33 year old expiring UFA who's clearly in the twilight of his career. Meh.

I guess this is what I've come to expect though. Moves that don't move the needle at all, but at least Guerin can say he's doing something.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I like this, or at least I think I do, Bogosian used to be a pretty great physical defender stuck on awful teams. He will at least not be nearly as unknown in his own end even if he is slow. Great shot though and can lay the boom.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Looks like he's had a hard time staying in the line-up for quite a while.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm not upset about the deal, I used to like Bogosian a lot (he's gotta be one of the last Thrashers in the league right?). I just don't understand the point I guess. I suppose he's bigger and grittier so that's neat for the next 5 months, but he's a 33 year old expiring UFA who's clearly in the twilight of his career. Meh.

I guess this is what I've come to expect though. Moves that don't move the needle at all, but at least Guerin can say he's doing something.
Basically the wording I was going to use, just not as a BG diss though.

From a prelim search, sounds like Bogosian is a neither going to add anything offensively or really anything defensively. But that sounds better than Merrill/Goligoski who are actively defensive liabilities. If it calms down our 3rd pairing, for a 7th pick, I'm for it. He doesn't move the needle but those other two keep causing me panic attacks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh... don't love or hate this. Something has to improve on that bottom pair... maybe this helps? Maybe it doesn't... we'll see.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Basically the wording I was going to use, just not as a BG diss though.

From a prelim search, sounds like Bogosian is a neither going to add anything offensively or really anything defensively. But that sounds better than Merrill/Goligoski who are actively defensive liabilities. If it calms down our 3rd pairing, for a 7th pick, I'm for it. He doesn't move the needle but those other two keep causing me panic attacks.

Not really a BG diss, it's kinda just what he's been doing for the last couple years. For the most part he's not really making any big moves for good NHL players or trading away guys for high picks, just swapping parts around. Obviously there are the exceptions with the Fiala deal and maybe the Greenway deal if you consider a late 2nd a high pick, but other than that?

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Sent out a guy they knew wasn't working for a guy who might or might not work. Clears roster space going forward for young guys. Seems like an okay, underwhelming trade.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not really a BG diss, it's kinda just what he's been doing for the last couple years. For the most part he's not really making any big moves for good NHL players or trading away guys for high picks, just swapping parts around. Obviously there are the exceptions with the Fiala deal and maybe the Greenway deal if you consider a late 2nd a high pick, but other than that?
You can now credit both Rossi and Faber as key guys brought in under his watch...

The list isn't exactly long though. Most key guys were acquired before BG arrived.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You can now credit both Rossi and Faber as key guys brought in under his watch...

The list isn't exactly long though. Most key guys were acquired before BG arrived.

Yeah and Faber came at the expense of a better player so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I mean you generally know what direction I point at in this debate so I'll keep it at that to avoid going off topic. I will say though, I can work with you say that Goligoski signing was a big BG failure, value wise and structurally and we are forced to get a guy like Bogosian. I hate Merrill but hard to argue vs a 1.2mil AAV.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean you generally know what direction I point at in this debate so I'll keep it at that to avoid going off topic. I will say though, I can work with you say that Goligoski signing was a big BG failure, value wise and structurally and we are forced to get a guy like Bogosian. I hate Merrill but hard to argue vs a 1.2mil AAV.

Where did I talk about BG failures? or Merrill's value?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Where did I talk about BG failures? or Merrill's value?
Apologies, I thought that the tone and message with sentences like ", just swapping parts around" was negative i usually attribute that to GM failures. So I was trying to find a middle ground with you and stating some his other failures that forced us to make this Bogosian trade, which is this specific thread topic. Sorry for that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hey! If you can't beat them, just grab their depth players and hope that works out!

Apparently Bogo and Maroon are good friends. So we have a new bromance. Kaprizov and Zuccs and now Bogo and Maroon.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Apologies, I thought that the tone and message with sentences like ", just swapping parts around" was negative i usually attribute that to GM failures. So I was trying to find a middle ground with you and stating some his other failures that forced us to make this Bogosian trade, which is this specific thread topic. Sorry for that.

All I'm saying is this deal (or pair of deals) doesn't move the needle at all either short term or long term, but at this point that's what most of the last couple of years have been for Guerin's moves. They don't make the team markedly better now or in the future, and they don't make the team markedly worse now or in the future. It's swapping parts he no longer likes for parts he does like. It's not positive or negative, it's just an observation based on his trade history.

Addison+7th for Bogosian+5th
7th for Maroon
Sustr+Nesterenko+4th for Klingberg
4th for Sundqvist
5th for Nyquist
3rd for Johansson
5th for Reaves
Kulikov for future considerations
Rask for future considerations
Kahkonen+5th for Middleton
3rd for Deslauriers
Sturm for Jost
etc

It's just a lot of deals where guys are coming in or going out for cheap, the guys going out weren't really anything special, the guys coming in don't really change the outcome of the season in any meaningful way, just a lot of swapping parts (and I already mentioned there were exceptions that ended up being bigger deals).

Again, not good or bad, just an observation of how he's generally conducted business over the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad