Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
As for Fleury, I think it's quite simple. There were a couple of real good players at the top 4-5, and the Penguins went for the most important position on the ice. At the time, Fleury was considered a big game goalie with lightning quick reflexes. A few less than stellar performances at the age of 19-20 doesn't diminish the kid's level of talent. He was handled pretty poorly by the Pens' management last season, but anyone who actually follows the Baby Pens will tell you he's having a pretty good season in the AHL. As for the Fleury-Lehtonen comparisons, I could care less at this point in time. Both are stud goalie prospects, and I'm just glad to have one of them on my team's depth chart.

IkeaMonkey*

WVpens said:
Morozov is a very talented player. I think any player who's considered a scorer or a playmaker in the best league in the world is a very talented hockey player, but that's just me.

I'm not going to doubt his talent one bit. He IS a very talented player. He could easily be a top liner on some teams. However, VERY does not equal EXTREME on the talent scale.Whenever you think EXTREME you think TOP/BEST. As in, "I'm going to the most extreme point on that mountain". I wouldnt put Morozov on top of the talent mountain.

VERY Talented players = Morozov, Alfreddson, Gomez

EXTREMELY Talented players = Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Jagr.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Dynamo, in that first link you posted, you were pretty emphatic in your dislike for the Penguins. Remember, being biased is the same as being a homer.

IkeaMonkey*

WVpens said:
Dynamo, in that first link you posted, you were pretty emphatic in your dislike for the Penguins. Remember, being biased is the same as being a homer.

Wheres the Pens option? I wouldnt really mind the Pens if their fans weren't so out to lunch..."Morozov is EXTREMELY talented. He will score a point a game next season!(03-04)" - Rowsdower....so talented in fact that he wasnt even resigned...and so much for a point a game eh...

:dunno: It was more a jab at the fans than the team...

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
DynamoAO said:
I'm not going to doubt his talent one bit. He IS a very talented player. He could easily be a top liner on some teams. However, VERY does not equal EXTREME on the talent scale.Whenever you think EXTREME you think TOP/BEST. As in, "I'm going to the most extreme point on that mountain". I wouldnt put Morozov on top of the talent mountain.

VERY Talented players = Morozov, Alfreddson, Gomez

EXTREMELY Talented players = Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Jagr.
I cannot believe how ridiculously argumentative you are. I thought arguing about the Kit-Kat catch phrase was bad, but here you are quibbling over the semantics of posts over a year old, that hold no relevance to this thread at all. :loony:

Spooner

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, here and there
Marc-Andre Fleury will be better than Hasek, Fuhr, Brodeur, Roy, and Roberto Luongo put together. He will change the game of hockey. What Gretzky is to forward, Fluery will be to goalies. He'll have his own wing in the Hall of Fame. They will rename the National Hockey League to the National Players Who Will Never Be as Good as Marc-Andre Fleury League. I'm changing my name to Marc-Andre Fleury and growing a goatee just like him.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Spooner said:
Marc-Andre Fleury will be better than Hasek, Fuhr, Brodeur, Roy, and Roberto Luongo put together. He will change the game of hockey. What Gretzky is to forward, Fluery will be to goalies. He'll have his own wing in the Hall of Fame. They will rename the National Hockey League to the National Players Who Will Never Be as Good as Marc-Andre Fleury League. I'm changing my name to Marc-Andre Fleury and growing a goatee just like him.

Please, let's be realistic here....only one wing?

Fleuryfan29

Apr 1, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
Spooner said:

I agree!

IkeaMonkey*

Lehtonen32 said:
I cannot believe how ridiculously argumentative you are. I thought arguing about the Kit-Kat catch phrase was bad, but here you are quibbling over the semantics of posts over a year old, that hold no relevance to this thread at all. :loony:

Damn, I guess I really am the only one who doesnt think Morozov is an extremely talented PPG player. Perhaps I need to watch him more...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
craig1 said:
First times a charm!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Morozov is extremely talented. I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again. That doesn't mean **** if you don't know how to use it though, and Morozov doesn't know how to use it.

There's times when Morozov steps on the ice and looks like an all star and there's times when he makes Ian Moran look like a good hockey player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, he's just a favorite whipping boy of mine. To be honest, he was probably being mis-used in Pittsburgh. He was being given top-pairing minutes and he just isn't the type of player that can handle that role. He isn't a terrible bottom-pairing/extra defenseman. Plus, as you pointed out, he isn't too shabby at playing as a 4th line winger.

Cosis

he was drafted first overall because hes a goalie with Franchise caliber skills. He has all the tools and the make up, to be one of the best ever goalies. At worst if he flops, he will still be at least an average NHL goalie. Thats saying alot just looking at his bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad