Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
You made a "sarcastic"(homeristic) post, using a single game as substance to "get back" at the Fleury haters. You basically kicked your own opinions credibility in the sack by "sarcastically" blowing a game out of proportion.If you want to pimp a player, do it with substance. Throw more steak into your claims than sizzle.
This is where we have a difference in philosophy. I don't beleive in "pimping" players. I will defend them from the ignorant masses, but I see no point in "pimping" then as you so elequently put it.

And it is a sad showing for the education system if you are unable to comprehend the difference between sarcasm and "homerism."

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
And it is a sad showing for the education system if you are unable to comprehend the difference between sarcasm and "homerism."

Homerism wasnt taught in my education system :(.Perhaps it was taught in Pittsburgh??This could be a reason that I myself am not a homer and do not look kindly on those that are.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Homerism wasnt taught in my education system :(.Perhaps it was taught in Pittsburgh??This could be a reason that I myself am not a homer and do not look kindly on those that are.

I'm not even going to bother....You are arguing a point that is thoroughly invalid. You read into things as you see fit to comply with your own agenda, regardless of how misguided you are. You seem to be just another internet basher who picks fights with individuals for no reason at all. Hope it is a fulfilling lifestyle.

IkeaMonkey*

Just promise me the next time Fleury and Wilkes/Barre shuts out Utah or Springfield, you will blow that game out of proportion too, ok?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I find it totally inconceivable that anyone wouldn't find craig's post sarcastic. Thats the sort of thing that makes you lose faith in mankind.

IkeaMonkey*

clefty said:
I find it totally inconceivable that anyone wouldn't find craig's post sarcastic. Thats the sort of thing that makes you lose faith in mankind.

Well, when people start to lose faith in mankind because of text on an internet message board, thats when I start to lose faith in mankind :(

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The fact its on a message board is irrelevant. You've shown an inability to comprehend the tone of writing that was present in craig's post, its pretty simple comprehension.

But hey, whatever makes you think you're right. I'll let you have the last word.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
DynamoAO said:
Shrug, I'm guess I'm just caught up in all the other Pittsburgh hubub on this board. Morozov being an "EXTREMELY TALENTED PPG PLAYER". Moran being a "capable 2nd pairing defenseman when on the Pens" to being a "useless pylon" on the Broons.

COMPLETELY, UTTERLY WRONG. You're talking about 2 of the favorite whipping boys of Pens fans for YEARS. I seem to remember a poll a while back where Moran was voted a close second as worst Penguin in recent memory just behind Steve McKenna. If you heard ANYONE on the Pens board EVER call Moran a "capable second pairing d-man," they simply weren't watching. FIND ME ANY POST that says that. Until I see it IN TYPE I'm just going to assume you're making this **** up to support your point.

As for Morozov, AGAIN, favorite whipping boy. Has all the talent in the world, doesn't do diddly with it. If someone referred to him as a PPG player, it wasn't because he is one, it's because he COULD be one. Look at how he's performing in Russia. Look at the way he LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING for a while when Lemieux was healthy. He has talent, he's just lazy and lacks confidence.

Hell, I think I read somewhere on here someone ranked Chiodo ahead of Cam Ward.

AGAIN, find me the post from a REGULAR on the Pens board. Until I see it with my own two eyes, I'm just going to assume you're full of it.

edit: I want actual LINKS to these posts as well.

Last edited:

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
I just wanted to add that all those overhyped busts we Pittsburgh homers have been playing up for years just had an ABYSMAL game against Hershey. My God, did they look awful. Not a single player from that team will ever make the big show.

:shakehead

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dynamo...you kinda blew your entire argument when you said that thing about Moran.

Find me a Penguin fan who didn't want to decapitate that worthless ugly son of a ***** and I'll find you a liar.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Dynamo...you kinda blew your entire argument when you said that thing about Moran.

Find me a Penguin fan who didn't want to decapitate that worthless ugly son of a ***** and I'll find you a liar.

Exactly. The very tiny shred of credibility he had before that comment just went flying out the window.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Why was he taken 1st? I dunno :dunno: you'd have to ask the Penguins if you want to know. The only thing I know, is that I don't believe goalies should be ever drafted in the top five. Just a philosophy kinda thing. If a team consistently picks the best goalie available in either the 2 or 3rd round they're bound to land a stellar netminder eventually. I'd rather save the high first rounders for potential stud D-Men or 1st line forwards.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Habdul said:
Why was he taken 1st? I dunno :dunno: you'd have to ask the Penguins if you want to know. The only thing I know, is that I don't believe goalies should be ever drafted in the top five. Just a philosophy kinda thing. If a team consistently picks the best goalie available in either the 2 or 3rd round they're bound to land a stellar netminder eventually. I'd rather save the high first rounders for potential stud D-Men or 1st line forwards.

I'd normally agree, but every once in a while a rare talent like a Fleury, DiPietro, Lehtonen, or Luongo pops up and is worth the gamble. Frankly, I think we haven't even seen the tip of the iceburg with regards to how good DiPietro can be, so I'm certainly not going to show any bias against taking a goalie that early.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Well, here's the verdict

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=15437&highlight=Morozov

"In a perfect world he could have a career year alongside a healthy Mario Lemieux and finally break out....perhaps 70-80 pts....though I think somewhere around last year's total (50-60) is a more likely scenario. Due to our weak depth on the right side I can see him on the first line next year."

There ya go dynamo. I see nothing unreasonable there in the slightest. Mind you a healthy Mario Lemieux would be a 65-75 game Mario Lemieux. What I suggested was far more likely is what happened....he just managed 50 pts last season, and Lemieux was out nearly the entire season.

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
Well, here's the verdict

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=15437&highlight=Morozov

"In a perfect world he could have a career year alongside a healthy Mario Lemieux and finally break out....perhaps 70-80 pts....though I think somewhere around last year's total (50-60) is a more likely scenario. Due to our weak depth on the right side I can see him on the first line next year."

There ya go dynamo. I see nothing unreasonable there in the slightest. Mind you a healthy Mario Lemieux would be a 65-75 game Mario Lemieux. What I suggested was far more likely is what happened....he just managed 50 pts last season, and Lemieux was out nearly the entire season.

Shrug, ran a search of my own. Couldnt find you directly saying this, it was probably before the board nuke...I was able to find me 'quoting you' saying it again, many months ago though....

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=94770&highlight=rowsdower+morozov+extremely+talented

Caught HBW saying he was extremely talented though!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=48417&highlight=morozov+extremely+talented

Jacobv as well!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=75854&highlight=morozov+extremely+talented

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Shrug, ran a search of my own. Couldnt find you directly saying this, it was probably before the board nuke...I was able to find me 'quoting you' saying it again, many months ago though....

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=94770&highlight=rowsdower+morozov+extremely+talented

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=48417&highlight=morozov+extremely+talented

Jacobv as well!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=75854&highlight=morozov+extremely+talented

Hmmm....so it was before the board nuke? Yet you quoted me in a thread this past summer? Did you paste my quote into notepad to save it for such an occasion?

Likely you were just going by memory, which means you could have easily been mistaken on both who you were quoting, and what they were saying. Sorry, but that proves squat....

First it was 'about a year ago', now I proved that wrong, so now it's 'probably before the meltdown'....
maybe.....just maybe, you are mistaken. There's nothing wrong with being mistaken once in awhile.

BTW, anyone remember when the infamous nuking took place?

Last edited:

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
What the heck? How can you use a board nuke as an excuse. That is a huge cop-out. Especially since you yourself were able to retreive threads more than a year old.

DynamoAO said:

Extremlely talented. You are not going to find many on this board who would argue against that. Both also stated that, while extremely talented, he hasn't performed up to expectation. Again, very true.

Quit claiming people say things that they obviously didn't say unless you can back it up with more than "I have a good memory."

And while you are at it, fully read and comprehend posts before you reply.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DynamoAO said:

Jacobv as well!

What do I have to do with this discussion?

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
Hmmm....so it was before the board nuke? Yet you quoted me in a thread this past summer? Did you paste my quote into notepad to save it for such an occasion?

Likely you were just going by memory, which means you could have easily been mistaken on both who you were quoting, and what they were saying. Sorry, but that proves squat....why would I claim Morozov's a ppg player on talent alone earlier in the offseason and then at the end of the offseason say what I said in that thread. No games were played in between....unless of course we are now looking into the '03 season...first it was 'about a year ago', now I proved that wrong, so now it's 'probably before the meltdown'....

Maybe.....just maybe, you are mistaken. There's nothing wrong with being mistaken once in awhile.

Couple things...

1.The board nuke wasnt this past summer...was FAR earlier.
2.Naw, I didnt save it. I lodged into my hidden vault of outrageous/infamous quotes. Like Skoula's puck poise and bert2nazzy's girlfriend...
3.I said "AT LEAST" a year ago, not about. For those wondering, "AT LEAST" means 12+ months ago and "ABOUT" means 12 months on the dot. Forgive me that my life does not revolve around HFB that I am not able to pinpoint specific days each of the thousands of HF posters make a post.

Yes, Craig, I'll take a flier on doubting Morozov's talent. I dont see Aleksey as a player with "extreme talent". Players with "extreme talent" dont grow on trees.Then again, perhaps I have higher expectations for players.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Couple things...

1.The board nuke wasnt this past summer...was FAR earlier.
2.Naw, I didnt save it. I lodged into my hidden vault of outrageous/infamous quotes. Like Skoula's puck poise and bert2nazzy's girlfriend...
3.I said "AT LEAST" a year ago, not about. For those wondering, "AT LEAST" means 12+ months ago and "ABOUT" means 12 months on the dot. Forgive me that my life does not revolve around HFB that I am not able to pinpoint specific days each of the thousands of HF posters make a post.

1) Never said it was. I said the thread where you incorrectly quoted me was for this summer
2) These witty comebacks may fly at your middle school, but I prefer logic and reason....fact is you quoted me directly off a thread that you can't even prove existed...and if it did, it was well over a year ago. If you would realize you are not beyond error, you could possibly grasp that through that time you may have mistaken what you read and who posted it
3) Fair enough. Though it is kind of strange that you've taken a comment on the boards over a year ago and still making an issue about it presently. Maybe you blew it out of proportion a tad? Also, the search funtion displayed all threads till about september '03. So now we're creeping on a year and a half. Would've thought for someone so confident of himself, you would've hit it a bit closer.

Regardless, this has gone far enough. Whatever I may have said about Morozov back in the summer of 2003 (or winter of 2002, or whenever the latest time frame you can think up) is pretty damn irrelevant in general, and specifically to this thread.

Last edited:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Wow, has this thread spun out of control.

Morozov is a very talented player. I think any player who's considered a scorer or a playmaker in the best league in the world is a very talented hockey player, but that's just me.

Morozov's effectiveness greatly depends on his linemates. He's not nearly as effective when he's the main man on a line, as he's not the physical type who can deal with the extra defensive attention. But when he has open ice and talented linemates, he is quite good (witness Morozov leading the league in scoring for much of the 1st quarter of '02-'03 before his injury). Also, Morozov has had some severe problems with consistency and confidence, leading to some infamous slumps. He can be a frustrating player to have on your team, but when he's on his game, he's real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad