Why Vegas won

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Fleury sv% in his 4 wins vs Jets, .956.
Not the only reason the Jets lost, just the most influential one.

Goaltending
fatigue/rested team
Vegas largely keeping play tight
puck luck/no puck luck

Its funny that we must waste time stating factual information that is backed by almost every hockey insider’s analyses on that series, Fleury is/was playing at an insanely high level.

Even funnier when his performance was/is backed by both the eye test and the analytical test.

The only test it fails royally is the coach is always to blame conspiracy test.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Our goalie just let in more goals than we could score at the worst times in most of the games.
Our top players like Laine, Ehlers and Connor just could not score.

The refs were garbage and we definitely got out coached and out goalied by Vegas.

Jets were too scared to hit and play their physical game because of the soft calls that went against them.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Losing 4 consecutive games with a trip to the cup final on the line....

Dsappoint again next season and it's called a trend.

You act like you've never seen athletes get tired before. Almost like you've never played a tournament on a team before. It happens at all levels. Too easy to sit on your laurels and claim choke.

Same with 'robertocarlos'. No sense of ever even played a team sport before. Any level.

Reactions: rosenqvist

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
You act like you've never seen athletes get tired before. Almost like you've never played a tournament on a team before. It happens at all levels. Too easy to sit on your laurels and claim choke.

Same with 'robertocarlos'. No sense of ever even played a team sport before. Any level.

I would call it a squandered opportunity. There's going to be a much better teams than Vegas standing in the way if the Jets are to ever to win a Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

PresidentWU

May 25, 2014
As I said the Jets lost because Fleury would over compensate and the Jets ALWAYS shot. Look at Washington open nets Fleury is shook because he cant cut the angle as much as he was.

People need to be fired. It was so Obvious why Fleury was playing good. But Winnipeg never thought to try fake shots.

Glad the Caps did. We all know Fleury is not THAT good. He’s ok, but hes been exposed. To correct it, he wont come out as much, meaning he wont be as good on direct shots.

Hes basicially screwed

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trend?

When you have 31 teams competing for the exact same thing, every season, the only trend is that 30 fail and 1 succeeds.
And with the amount of really good teams in the league everything needs to align just right. Washington is an interesting example. After many years of not living up to post season expectations, they have had their best run ever after it looked like time had past them by and they went into the post season as a bit of an after thought. How much of the resiliency they are showing comes from having sand kicked into your face for a decade?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Our goalie just let in more goals than we could score at the worst times in most of the games.
Our top players like Laine, Ehlers and Connor just could not score.

The refs were garbage and we definitely got out coached and out goalied by Vegas.

Jets were too scared to hit and play their physical game because of the soft calls that went against them.

Totally agree that the Jets stopped hitting in that series. They spent more energy avoiding hitting than they would have spent simply allowing momentum to do its job. Look at how much better the Caps are doing by making Vegas look over their shoulders. I thought we played soft all playoffs long compared to the regular season. There was the occasional Buff hit but that was about it. I agree it was probably because of the calls we were getting, but there are differences in penalties. There are lazy penalties like hooking, slashing, interference, and there are punishing penalties that take your opponent out of their game.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
As I said the Jets lost because Fleury would over compensate and the Jets ALWAYS shot. Look at Washington open nets Fleury is shook because he cant cut the angle as much as he was.

People need to be fired. It was so Obvious why Fleury was playing good. But Winnipeg never thought to try fake shots.

Glad the Caps did. We all know Fleury is not THAT good. He’s ok, but hes been exposed. To correct it, he wont come out as much, meaning he wont be as good on direct shots.

Hes basicially screwed
The Jets didn't have the same experience as Washington has playing Fleury for many many years. It wasn't obvious to them. It looks obvious now, because Washington studied the film of our games combined with all the film they had of playing them before. It's easy to see now after Washington has exposed him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sure, it would have been nice to have officiating go more our way but when has that happened for this hockey team, like ever? (and how much of that is fan bias?).

The REAL reason the Jets fell to the VGK:

1> Goaltending (number one for a reason. If Hellebuyck was playing the way he did most the regular season, we win, no question). THIS is why I BEGGED the Jets to pick up a suitable backup when all of our options either got hurt or sucked). I think Helle got worn out (part of that was probably pressure, too).
2> Jets were worn out, physically and emotionally. This is why the 1st and 2nd place teams should not face each other in the second round of the playoffs. I think the Preds would have struggled as well.
3> Puck luck. I felt the Jets had plenty of bad puck luck in the Nashville series too, but that they responde to it better.

Let's be clear, I still think it's a abomination that the NHL bent over backwards to make the expansion rules so amenable to the Knights and the potential for first year success. That is not taking away from the shrewd moves by their management, or the way the players performed. They should have never gotten the quality of roster they did, and if they win the cup, the NHL just sold their soul for a few dollars.

The NHL has been fighting the perception of being a second rate pro league for as long as Gary Bettman has run it, and it's for reasons like this. If Vegas wins THE HARDEST TROPHY IN ALL OF SPORT to win in their first year, that is pretty much the most embarrassing thing that could happen, and it will cause further damage to the brand, not only in the US, but with plenty of disenfranchised core fans in Canada.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Totally agree that the Jets stopped hitting in that series. They spent more energy avoiding hitting than they would have spent simply allowing momentum to do its job. Look at how much better the Caps are doing by making Vegas look over their shoulders. I thought we played soft all playoffs long compared to the regular season. There was the occasional Buff hit but that was about it. I agree it was probably because of the calls we were getting, but there are differences in penalties. There are lazy penalties like hooking, slashing, interference, and there are punishing penalties that take your opponent out of their game.
Bingo .............
Vegas moved & played with impunity knowing the Jets would not make them pay physically.
It was pretty telling when your captain gets dumped over the boards & your leading scorer gets constantly molested & there is no repsonse.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Its funny that we must waste time stating factual information that is backed by almost every hockey insider’s analyses on that series, Fleury is/was playing at an insanely high level.

Even funnier when his performance was/is backed by both the eye test and the analytical test.

The only test it fails royally is the coach is always to blame conspiracy test.

You didn't finish the sentence that hockey analysts have said contributed to MAF playing at a high level (even Helle mentioned it). Vegas was doing a great job of limiting the time/space, second chances and high danger chances giving MAF the opportunity to make the saves.

Washington is using strategy/tactics to open up Vegas and MAF (heaver game and more cross ice activity in the offensive zone). Appears to be working.

I wish we would have used these tactics more.

Don't bother blasting me for posting this publically and widely reported fact - I will just ignore your attack.

Last edited:

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Really noticed last night how Washington was getting around the double team neutral zone pressure. With two Knights attacking the puck carrier, a little outlet pass to a supporting player quickly results in an odd man advantage. Why couldn't our coaches figure that out and make this adjustment ?

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
There is a direct positive correlation between the variables winning and drinking mass quantities of beer. We simply did not consume enough alcohol to effect a win. I was working late and had to have coffee to stay awake and coffee again in the morning to wake up. Jets lost because of beer and the lack therof

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
upload_2018-5-31_13-20-14.png

For the entire series. Guess who's who.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't know why people keep saying the XD rules resulted in Vegas getting a stacked team. The team isn't stacked. Look at who they drafted: 2017 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia - a few decent players, but 2/3rds crap. Basically if Dale Tallon doesn't hand Vegas Marchessault and Reilly, that team doesn't go anywhere.

I don't know if I would say crap, but their roster is pretty middling. The current roster is dominated by players via trade.

But they are playing as a team and a great system by a great coach. They were able to take away the Jets' strength, and we didn't really do much to try to adjust. Other than a desperation move in an elimination game to shakeup the lineup with guys that hadn't seen the ice in a long time. Quite a shame really.

Reactions: Gm0ney and sipowicz

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know if I would say crap, but their roster is pretty middling. The current roster is dominated by players via trade.

But they are playing as a team and a great system by a great coach. They were able to take away the Jets' strength, and we didn't really do much to try to adjust. Other than a desperation move in an elimination game to shakeup the lineup with guys that hadn't seen the ice in a long time. Quite a shame really.
Yes, there have been some trades after the draft, and they're all bought-in to Gallant's system (and it's a pretty good one)...but as far as giving them too much in the XD, I think the point stands. They weren't gifted a superteam. They weren't even gifted a likely playoff team (well, maybe Tallon gifted them a playoff team ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad