Why Vegas won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
To me Vegas is almost a carbon copy of the New Jersey Devils back when they were winning Cups on the back of Broudure and solid defense . Boring hockey compared to the Nashville series , but obviously very effective . At times during game 5 it almost felt like a pre-season game to me .
the devils never forechecked liked vegas.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Vegas won because they have good system and dedicated players playing that system.

To say that the Jets got beat by bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing D players is really disrespectful to the talent they have.

The biggest problem is that history hasn't happened yet. Smith, Karlsson, Marchessault, Theodore, and Schmidt aren't household names. They will be. Have you ever heard of James Neal? Is he a bottom 6 forward?

I think what might sting so much is that Hughson and Simpson lead you to believe that the Winnipeg players are so great and can do no wrong. That the only difference maker on VGK is Fleury. That is so wild, but Canadian hockey fans continue to allow Hughson/Simpson do the national broadcasts and featured hockey match-ups.

It's a shame, but this will sting for a long time.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Finals should be starting tomorrow in Winnipeg. Jets choked. You can't say Vegas is the better team.
But you can defintely say they had a better goalie. Which when you break everything that happened was the obvious difference.

Saying the Jets choked is sour grapes.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I wouldn't say the Jets choked. One coach got more out of his lineup than the other coach who actually had a better lineup. Did MAF play lights out, or did the Jets not get the extra 1/2 second needed to create more of those grade A scoring chances? - Hellebuyck and I agree - that Vegas took that 1/2 second away. Vegas has been lauded for keeping the puck out of key scoring areas which helps MAF greatly. That is a sign of great coaching, system and player buy in and execution. That's great coaching - to be able to get players to play in a way that largely neutralizes the opponent's strengths while still executing on yours. The Jets were not able neutralize the strengths of Vegas.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't say the Jets choked. One coach got more out of his lineup than the other coach who actually had a better lineup. Did MAF play lights out, or did the Jets not get the extra 1/2 second needed to create more of those grade A scoring chances? - Hellebuyck and I agree - that Vegas took that 1/2 second away. Vegas has been lauded for keeping the puck out of key scoring areas which helps MAF greatly. That is a sign of great coaching, system and player buy in and execution. That's great coaching - to be able to get players to play in a way that largely neutralizes the opponent's strengths while still executing on yours. The Jets were not able neutralize the strengths of Vegas.

We had far more high danger chances though all series. MAF owned us plain and simple. any other goalie in net and we win that series.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
We had far more high danger chances though all series. MAF owned us plain and simple. any other goalie in net and we win that series.
MAF was outstanding but Vegas’s aggressive, relentless checking approach completely shut the Jets down. I kept waiting for the Jets to flip that switch and suddenly begin dominating the game but it just never happened. Game 5, for which I had very high hopes was extremely hard to watch.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
MAF was outstanding but Vegas’s aggressive, relentless checking approach completely shut the Jets down. I kept waiting for the Jets to flip that switch and suddenly begin dominating the game but it just never happened. Game 5, for which I had very high hopes was extremely hard to watch.

Vegas got a lot of favourable bounces to though that we just weren't getting.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Vegas did a good job but they didn't completely shut the Jets down, the chances were there. Laine rang one off the post in game 5, that goes in, different game. You could probably say that about pretty much all of the games they lost..

Reactions: ocdaddy

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Even Kevin Weekes, Mike Rupp are commenting on how Vegas is largely keeping the puck out of high danger scoring areas. Drew Doughty agrees according to Weekes.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Even Kevin Weekes, Mike Rupp are commenting on how Vegas is largely keeping the puck out of high danger scoring areas. Drew Doughty agrees according to Weekes.

Well, that certainly settles that then....lol.

When I get some time I'll post some videos of all the commentators talking about how unreal Fleury was.

The lengths people are going to dismiss historically good goaltending is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosenqvist

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Well, that certainly settles that then....lol.

When I get some time I'll post some videos of all the commentators talking about how unreal Fleury was.

The lengths people are going to dismiss historically good goaltending is crazy.

Great.

I am not going to any lengths at all. Just sharing with our great HFB Jets community what some experts are saying about Vegas and their ability to limit high danger chances. Very insightful commentary on how Vegas won.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Great.

I am not going to any lengths at all. Just sharing with our great HFB Jets community what some experts are saying about Vegas and their ability to limit high danger chances. Very insightful commentary on how Vegas won.
Insightful? Did you actually watch it? If you say so, I found it pretty bland honestly. Not much substance, just some opinions and and Weekes dropping Doughty's name.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
So is it 'Lady Luck', 'Not Luck' or 'some luck'? So far you have covered the full spectrum of the insightful 'Luck' explanation. From zero to some to full Lady luck.

Follow along - that's rich.
Zero? You definitely haven't been paying attention. Luck played a part but I've mostly been taling about goaltending, like the rest of the hockey world....other than you and Kevin Weekes that is.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Fleury's play reflects the fact that their D kept the front of the net remarkably clear. Was he ever screened? Other than by Statsny on occasion? On the other hand Helly was screened very effectively. The Knights outplayed us badly imo.
Are the Jets afraid to clear the front of the net because of getting a penalty? Is their approach different than other teams?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think all the things people are mentioning are true and combine them all and that's why we lost 4 straight games.

Vegas taking away just enough space that we had to rush our scoring chances. Fleury making some insane saves when we did have them on the ropes. Them capitalizing on the mistakes we made. Some bad bounces here and there. It all contributed. It's not like they were carrying the play against us or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad