Why they traded Hall (article)

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
The Oilers staff was fired right after they submitted their list for that draft because of incompetence. Also, Chiarelli had just arrived from Boston, who passed on Barzal three times. He obviously brought with him a bias against drafting Barzal from his time there (they were obviously wrong with hindsight).

I blame chia for everything.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I said after Seguin. Forsberg trade was before Seguin. But it wasn't much worse than the Forsberg trade in any case.

The Forsberg trade is much worse.
You're comparing the Hall trade in which the Oilers got an important player back to two trades in which the teams got nothing back a high end 1st liner in Forsberg and two impact prospects.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Larsson getting really underrated around here by the Hall fans. Not surprising.

Larsson is really overrated by Hall haters and by people who just want the trade to not be a disaster.

The way people credit him for the Oilers season last year and for Klefbom's play is ridiculously over the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: L13

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is it, that all that needs to be said. Bashing the trade I get accused of having some narrative. There isn't one. It was a terrible trade, ask pretty much every one in the NHL. It sucked, end of story.
It doesn't even have anything to do with Larsson.

Larsson is a good hockey player. We need a guy like Larsson on this team. He's an important player for us. But no team has ever had to give up what we gave up to get an Adam Larsson.

Reactions: frag2 and Killer Z

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Larsson is really overrated by Hall haters and by people who just want the trade to not be a disaster.

The way people credit him for the Oilers season last year and for Klefbom's play is ridiculously over the top.

Besides a few select posters who irrationally hate Hall, who is a Hall hater? Even the folks vouching for Larsson are admitting that the Oilers obviously lost the trade. I acknowledged what a playoff beast Hall has been in the OOT thread.

Calling this trade the worst of the last 15 years is the only irrational thing I've seen posted in this thread and it's way beyond merely irrational.

I also think it's ridiculous how some people underrate his impact on the Oilers last season. Larsson's presence was a big help to Klefbom, helped Sekera also who didn't have to carry as much responsibility. He was a key cog for the Oilers last season and will be going forward. He'll never be as good a player as Hall is to state the obvious but that doesn't diminish his importance to the Oilers.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I remember a Yakupov for Larsson on the mains a few years back.
HFOil fans were livid at the suggestion....Yakupov was far superior, and how dare such a bust as Larsson be considered for A one for one trade.
Yakupov was overpay, but now Hall is justified.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The fact is that the Devils wouldn't have traded Larsson for Eberle. They weren't interested in trading him unless they had their doors blown off, and Chiarelli decided to do that. That trade doesn't happen for anything less than an overpay by the Oilers, and they'll have to live with that.

Think of it this way. Right now the Oilers have no need or interest in trading Draisaitl. Imagine the kind of offer it would take to make them consider trading Draisaitl. That's what Chiarelli did to a lesser extent to convince the Devils to move Hall. I'm convinced that if he had managed to build a balanced team following that deal, we probably never look back. But the way this year went magnified that deal 10x.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
HFOil fans were livid at the suggestion....Yakupov was far superior, and how dare such a bust as Larsson be considered for A one for one trade.

Nobody is justifying the trade. Do you even read the posts? The argument was about worst trade of the last 15 years, that's where the argument started.

Also, Yakupov at the time was a recent #1 pick while Larsson was struggling to find his way with the Devils. There was a time when Oiler fans laughed at the thought of Eberle for Johansen. There was a time when the Oiler fans wanted to throw Schultz in the scrap heap and look at him now. Shit changes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've never commented on that, but maybe back then it was true, but now it isn't. We traded for Larsson after his break out season, and before that he was a bust, and Yakupov probably wasn't. I'm not sure on the timing, but if it was after his rookie year, then I wouldn't blame anyone who thought that. Yakupov should have won the Calder.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could have lived with Eberle for Larsson. Even that would've been an overpay. But I could've lived with it.
are you serious with that? You honestly think a GM would trade a core young Dman like Larsson, signed to a long term deal, for a winger like Eberle? Since when?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nobody is justifying the trade. Do you even read the posts? The argument was about worst trade of the last 15 years, that's where the argument started.

Also, Yakupov at the time was a recent #1 pick while Larsson was struggling to find his way with the Devils. There was a time when Oiler fans laughed at the thought of Eberle for Johansen. There was a time when the Oiler fans wanted to throw Schultz in the scrap heap and look at him now. **** changes.

calm down.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
are you serious with that? You honestly think a GM would trade a core young Dman like Larsson, signed to a long term deal, for a winger like Eberle? Since when?

Not saying they would've because I have little doubt they offered Eberle. But just because they asked for Hall it doesn't mean they had to give them Hall.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
posters are trying to justify a trade that is bad.
I'm not making that up....it's pretty evident in this thread.
the trade was awful....one of the worst in Oilers history, and in my personal opinion, the worst in Oilers history.

So worse than the Gretzky and Messier trades?
I can't even understand an argument for even the Reinhart trade but worse than the trading two of the best players of all time who led them to 4 and 5 Cups respectively? Sorry but that's completely irrational IMO.

Also, I don't think saying that this isn't the worst NHL trade of the last 15 years and calling Larsson a good player is justifying the trade. There's no denying that the Oilers lost the trade, don't think anybody is arguing otherwise.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007

Yes. Because those two trades were basically owner mandated. Give away the asset, don't care if we lose the trade as long as we get money or save money.

Hall/Larsson wasn't like that. It was a 'hockey trade'.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I can't even understand an argument for even the Reinhart trade but worse than the trading two of the best players of all time who led them to 4 and 5 Cups respectively? Sorry but that's completely irrational IMO.

Also, I don't think saying that this isn't the worst NHL trade of the last 15 years and calling Larsson a good player is justifying the trade. There's no denying that the Oilers lost the trade, don't think anybody is arguing otherwise.

Agree

The Smyth trade was worse then the Hall trade

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

It says something about our GM that you can make an argument that the Hall trade might not even be the worst trade he’s made in three years with the Oilers.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

gretzky was a sale...not a trade.
Messier was gone, everyone knew it, Mess made it known, it was inevitable.
Weight, we couldn't afford, and was the way of the times back then...
all our bad trades back then, had circumstances to them that were forced upon the GM's dealin the players.
Chia didn't have to trade Hall, a player who WANTED to be here, LOVED being an Oiler, and didn't demand a trade out, or try to price himself out, like the circumsatnces with our other bad trades.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Also, I think the Hall trade was making way for Chia finally giving his good buddy Looch his golden ticket retiremnet.
"hey, Milan! remember all the good work you did for me and Boston, well, Ima make sure Edmonton rewards you for it!!
not only will they pay you handsomely, but I'll make sure you play along side McDavid!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad