Why the Canadians suck. 10 years in the making.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
10 years of set backs really hurt.

23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Omaha Lancers (USHL)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
London Knights (OHL)
Canada
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
United States
Sarnia Sting (OHL)
United States
USA NTDP (USHL)
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
Canada
Everett Silvertips (WHL)
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
United States
St. Cloud State Huskies (NCAA)
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
Assat (Liiga)

Sergachev and Kotkaniemi are good.

Coincidentally, they're also the ones we traded.

LOL

Aug 25, 2009
éal
If the team suck in 2011 or 2013 instead of 2012 and draft top 3 they pick Huberdeau or Drouin (lol)
If they suck in 2017 or 2019 instead of 2018 end up with Heiskanen or Dach (weird lol)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
The ever elusive strength down centre.

Can practically count the real good centres they have drafted in the history of the team on one hand.
On one-hand? Top-6 centers? I can't even count 2. Koivu and............?

All the other good players were goalies, defensemen or wingers.

Edit : Plekanec also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We have been irrelevant since 94

We had a nasty team in 93, and with our last little cup run with Webs, Chairot, Perry, Edmundson etc.. .then the go back to soft little teams. They just can't do the math, and understand what the rest of the division looks like. It's so odd how they just put on blinders and pretend this system of failure is the one to repeat, not the ones that got them success. Mind Boggling what utter failures the Molson family insists on putting out there

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Ribeiro probably counts just on his ability to produce, although you had to deal with his baggage.

Reactions: knuck and Toene

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

I remember, i was sit on my couch on deadline day and watching RDS, hoping that Bergevin help the team. Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago were giving first pick to make a push. Montreal never. Bergevin preferes to select future bust. I have never watch those special day, because it made me angry all the time. The price was always too high. Maybe we would have a cup instead of those bust

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
10 years?

Lol, this team has been terrible for 30 years

We just had a goalie making the team look good for a few of those years
Hackett, for a couple and Theo for a couple and Price for a few years also...........haven't been able to score goals since the Koivu/Kovalev years, and even then at times it was a challenge.

Laying at the feet of the goalie has been a fail......even when we won, St Patrick had a ton of good players out in front of him, and defenders that could defend.

Habs GM's since Savard, all forgot you have to score, to win the games....it's a fine line, but you have to score goals and many years later, we have drafted well enough, and developed well enough.

Reactions: CapSpace

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Man... what a sad run of wrong picks, starting with Leblanc through Kotkaniemi. Sure, every team misses every now and then. Unfortunately, Montreal swung and missed almost every year.

However much bad development contributed to bad drafting, the bottom line is players like Forsberg, Kreider, Nelson, and Theodore could have been on the roster while Price was in his prime, not to mention having Tkachuk near the end. How much would those players have changed our fate in the 2014 Semi-Finals and 2021 SCF?

Reactions: Gravity

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Owners are morons. Plain and simple.

Silver spoon Molson who never worked a second in his life knows shit about hockey and yet, here we are.

Molson has his fair share of blame for the last 10 years.

BUT I gave him just 60% of the blame the other 40% goes to the fans/medias cause Bergevin, Gauthier were the biggest failure but they were both hired because fans/medias keeps making it harder for this organization to win.

Why?

Well, let's face it, the ONLY reason Marc Bergevin or Gauthier became GM in the NHL was because ownership was forced into hiring french people. Same goes for Michel Therrien or Ducharme, people that had ZERO business getting the job that they did.

I'm french but in a sports competition, being the best at what you do should be the only criteria for hiring, we'Re not even there yet in 2024 (Although, Ownership did get out of their comfort zone and hired Gorton at least)

Reactions: habsfan891

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The reason is mostly terrible mgmt. MB came onboard at exactly the wrong time and probably cost us a cup.

And as much as people bitched about our drafting, it was development that was bottom of the barrel. Notice how TT’s late picks are panning out now that we have people who know how to develop.

As for us being bad now, I’m totally fine with it. It’s part of a restructuring plan that is going very well. We’re stacked at the blueline going forward and if we could actually stay healthy we’d have our best top six in a long while.

A number one center would do so much for us. Hopefully we get one in the draft this year.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Molson has his fair share of blame for the last 10 years.

BUT I gave him just 60% of the blame the other 40% goes to the fans/medias cause Bergevin, Gauthier were the biggest failure but they were both hired because fans/medias keeps making it harder for this organization to win.

Why?

Well, let's face it, the ONLY reason Marc Bergevin or Gauthier became GM in the NHL was because ownership was forced into hiring french people. Same goes for Michel Therrien or Ducharme, people that had ZERO business getting the job that they did.

I'm french but in a sports competition, being the best at what you do should be the only criteria for hiring, we'Re not even there yet in 2024 (Although, Ownership did get out of their comfort zone and hired Gorton at least)
Ok, Milhouse. Canadiens suck because french.

Now I forgot what I was going to write.

oh yeah - pressure to spend to the cap, make the playoffs and taxes bla bla stuff.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

From way back, Risebrough, Mondou and Cassels. And Sam Pollock had alot of high picks.

Had forgot about Ribiero and I`m one of the few who like Kotkaniemi, could still have a decent career. Plus Koivu and Plekanec more recently. Not the most impressive list.

Imagine the Pens getting Crosby and Malkin in back to back drafts, a tankers dream...And Jordan Staal and Max Talbot to go with them.

Edit: and Garry Monahan, the first ever draft pick which was important because the Habs traded him for Peter Mahovlich. And how could I forget the HOFer in the group, Carbo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
2009: No head scout would have made it out alive the Bell Centre if they passed on Leblanc. I'm also convinced development played a huge role in the pick failure. Obviously, Kreider, Johansson or Palmieri would have been great.

2010: I wanted Brock Nelson and was convinced we traded up for him when the trade happened.

2011: Beaulieu was a good pick if you look at what was picked after. You have to go for #26 Danault for a bona fide better player and we got him anyway for cheap. Also likely would have been better in a era where his off-ice would actually been better monitored. Those years were insane.

2012: Galchenyuk, a lot of it is on development and off-ice stuff. No real homerun close either.

2013: McCarron is a big miss with Theodore and Hartman. Although a lot of the 25-35 was crap.

2014: Scherbak a huge miss again. Kempe and Barbashev would both be great. I was full on board on the pick though. Never developed in the pros. I personally like to blame Sly, but we're not in a sim so who knows.

2015: Feel bad blaming Juulsen for taking puck to the faces. Aho would have been great though.

2016: Sergachev was a great pick traded too soon for not enough.

2017: There was no way we were picking Oettinger with Price/Montoya/Lindgren/Fucale/McNiven/Hawkey. Apart from that, it's more of the same until 14 pick later with Robertson. Maybe Tolvanen or Frost, but not convinced they would have done well in MTL.

2018: Tkachuk would have been a better pick than KK, although I didn't like him and still don't like his knucklehead. There was also Hughes, but that would have been a "put both balls on the chopping block" kind of move at 3.

I think one part that has hurt a lot in those years is the constant need to trade for depth players that should have came internally, either from later picks or UDFA. We are just starting to get an influx of players from devlopment to fill roles that we normally would have to pay for salary and/or assets.
" put both balls on the chopping block", that visual make me very uncomfortable. :eek3:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad