Player Discussion Why is T.J. Brodie?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It seems incredibly obvious at this point that Brodie is a liability on the back end, looks poised to cripple our playoff chances, given Keefe's unwavering faith in the player. Despite former players, commentators, noting his decline-across the board- supported by abysmal numbers, he still records top pair D minutes, also "toughest" matchups.

To my mind, a Benoit has overtaken him, and that's not necessarily a great compliment, given how much Brodie has declined. Brodie isn't coming back next season, so this bizarre loyalty Keefe has with him, even more confounding.

Brodie is a big part of the PK problem, his inability to clear the puck and show any jam whatsoever out front hurts us routinely. He gets walked defensively, he's so slow now, easily the worst on the team. Physically weak, can't handle the puck, can't get a point shot to the net, zero offensive awareness, just all around mediocre to awful.

Some reporter needs to challenge Keefe with some stats, this guy may well cost him his job in the end. Brodie is washed.
Sometimes a player just goes stale. The same team for too long, the grind, too much money in the bank etc. It is why the most impressive players like Jordan or Brady after accomplishing all that seemed possible, they continue to push themselves.

Brodie needs to be moved. I imagine Brad tried to do so at the deadline. He had some good stretches since being here but he needs to be replaced.

Nothing destroys a teams faith than when a player doesn't stay in the lineup due to a meritocracy but for some other reason.

Keefe needs to realize that they will be facing physical and motivated opposition in the first round. They will need to dress a physical and determined bunch. The games will be won 2-1 and 3-2 if the Leafs hope to win. We know how the stars perform during playoffs so it will depend on the hard nosed grinders, puck blockers and body takers/movers. It's that simple.

Yes indeed.

I like Keefe as a coach, I really do. The guy has improved with this group as well. As long as he is honest with everyone, especially himself, Leafs have a chance.

Brad doesn't have the luxury of failure himself. Nor do Shanny and/or Keefe. They need a Final Four appearance and I believe if Keefe is honest with his eyes and coaches accordingly, he can surprise many of us who don't have faith in this core.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Brodie should be allowed to walk at the end of the season. There is no place for him on this team anymore. I don't even want him on the 3 pairing as he's not the physical type for that role. I loved Brodie for the first few years here as most of us did, but I'm afraid his body type and deterioration of effective play don't mesh well with what this team needs at this juncture.
Honestly agree. Maybe as a #7 in Giordano’s old role, but even then we can find better.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Hell has frozen over lol
He and Dubas both keep their finger on the pulse of fans and media too, they are modern.

Look, if I was a coach of a team that had millions of followers, often watching the same game religiously for decades; I would have to be arrogant as hell not to at least consider reasonable assessments. He is smart enough to know what is and what isn't.

In the end, he is behind the bench and knows the team. He will succeed or fail on his decisions. It can sometimes be a liability as he may lose objectivity when he doesn't have the luxury of watching the games as we do without any skin in the game. Dubas changed his approach over the years and Keefe has seen players take steps forward and back, depending on age and development.

Brodie is still a commodity but he would do better as a depth D in case of injury at this point if you ask me. Hell, he may have even burned out to some degree. When you have hungry, like-minded physical D Men in the wings, you have to get them in the playoffs.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Players decline and eventually fall off .. it happens. He’s had a rough go with his dad’s passing.

I won’t be too hard on him but it’s obvious he needs time out of the line up or in sparing minutes
As unfortunate as his dad passing away is, I think the situation with his wife is probably taking a bigger toll on him. Both very unfortunate situations.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Players decline and eventually fall off .. it happens. He’s had a rough go with his dad’s passing.

I won’t be too hard on him but it’s obvious he needs time out of the line up or in sparing minutes
He's been a great soldier his time here, low maintenance, reliable, dependable D man. He was my favourite back there. Sympathy for his situation, but was pleased to see the team without him last night. To my mind, ideally he's now a experienced depth D man if we get injuries.

Reactions: CincoHolio

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Brodie is a Keefe guy, trusts him in all situations.
The game before he was a healthy scratch he was #2 in D minutes.

Would Keefe healthy scratch his #2 D?
I think the sit request came from above...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hopefully he sits next game, team played well with him out of the lineup… I’d keep the same lines until they give you a reason not too.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This guy shoulda been LTIR until playoffs. Then see if he has legs for a short spurt as a 6D.

He actually seems like a guy that woulda done well in low mins with lots of rest.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I still think he can be an effective player bur not on the top pair anymore.

I would be OK with him coming back and being on the 3rd pair next yea, I think Brodie and Benoit could be a a solid 3rd pair, he might even be able to fill in on the 2nd pair when injury happens.

But his days as a top pair guy are done.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This guy shoulda been LTIR until playoffs. Then see if he has legs for a short spurt as a 6D.

He actually seems like a guy that woulda done well in low mins with lots of rest.
You don't get to randomly LTIR players.

I still think he can be an effective player bur not on the top pair anymore.

I would be OK with him coming back and being on the 3rd pair next yea, I think Brodie and Benoit could be a a solid 3rd pair, he might even be able to fill in on the 2nd pair when injury happens.

But his days as a top pair guy are done.

I'm not sure that's the case... when your game is mobility, and your mobility is gone... well, that's about it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He's not hurt, he was a healthy scratch.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It's overblown, really. I'm not suggesting he's at his best, he's not, only that fans (particularly fans here) run so hot on everyone who has the hint of a struggle. At the end of the day, he's a known entity who will likely step up in the playoffs.

While I don't love Keefe as a coach, even after the deadline his options aren't exactly deep. Benoit, Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Timmy, are bottom pairing type guys. Brodie is going to get minutes unless he's hurt and really that shouldn't surprise anyone, people just run really hot here.
Didn’t you watch him in the playoffs last year? He stepped down and took another step down since then.

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Brodie is a Keefe guy, trusts him in all situations.
The game before he was a healthy scratch he was #2 in D minutes.

Would Keefe healthy scratch his #2 D?
I think the sit request came from above...

I think it's extremely unlikely that any one other than Sheldon Keefe makes the decisions regarding scratches.

It would be an incredibly dysfunctional situation if the General Manager was dictating who should be scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad