Player Discussion Why is T.J. Brodie?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm guessing Mr. Brodie senior had a bit too much to drink one night and then... yeah.

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I gave him all the benefit of the doubt in the world last spring based on a history of being a rock on our blueline, but this season he picked up right where he left off in the playoffs. There are still glimpses of his ability when he's simply reacting to a play, like breaking up an odd man rush, but his decision making is non-existent. Any forecheck pressure and he either does nothing, and just backs up until he's pinned to the wall, or throws the puck away like a grenade.

One thing I'll say in his defense is that it's an issue that's plaguing the entire team. The amount of times uncontested possession in the D zone has ended up with a turnover because the team panics the second their opponent even starts to skate in their general direction, is embarassing.

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Just playing Devil's advocate here don't shoot me. But is it possible Keefe is just being loyal to Brodie based on his off ice struggles with his wife etc ? He doesn't want to be the bad guy and sit the guy going through tough times even if his play deserves it. Possible?
Pretty much my thoughts where this too. I believe there was an article shot out this year basically the Leafs stated he will find his game despite all the distractions. I believe by next year if he does resign they won't give him such leeway and he might even take a team-friendly contract. That might even almost be worked out. You never know.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
But is it possible Keefe is just being loyal to Brodie based on his off ice struggles with his wife etc ?

That's fair, Keefe doesnt have to ice the best team.
I'd call it less fair if he does it in the post season .... which he will.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Brodie has been awful for quite some time now. Last night was no different, multiple mistakes and played soft as butter. He should be sitting when Lyubushkin returns but it’s unlikely, probably veteran player respect BS. Can’t wait until his contract expires this off-season.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Brodie should be allowed to walk at the end of the season. There is no place for him on this team anymore. I don't even want him on the 3 pairing as he's not the physical type for that role. I loved Brodie for the first few years here as most of us did, but I'm afraid his body type and deterioration of effective play don't mesh well with what this team needs at this juncture.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I really feel like the roster and its' deep flaws can only be discussed in a broader context:

1. The shit playoff format.
2. The number of meaningless games Toronto will play until the playoffs start.
3. Due to the above issues Keefe is going to see how all the pairings work before being bold with healthy scratch decisions. Sadly hockey fans will have to suffer through Preseason Part 2!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1. The shit playoff format.
Bettman likes it. It won't change.

Meaningless games are more predictable. The hope here is that Vegas doesn't like this issue and they pressure the NHL to make the games "less predictable".

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I gave him all the benefit of the doubt in the world last spring based on a history of being a rock on our blueline, but this season he picked up right where he left off in the playoffs. There are still glimpses of his ability when he's simply reacting to a play, like breaking up an odd man rush, but his decision making is non-existent. Any forecheck pressure and he either does nothing, and just backs up until he's pinned to the wall, or throws the puck away like a grenade.

One thing I'll say in his defense is that it's an issue that's plaguing the entire team. The amount of times uncontested possession in the D zone has ended up with a turnover because the team panics the second their opponent even starts to skate in their general direction, is embarassing.
Exactly, this started last year, noticeably declining.

Brodie was my fav D man, he was so steady and reliable. That guy doesn’t exist anymore.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Exactly, this started last year, noticeably declining.

Brodie was my fav D man, he was so steady and reliable. That guy doesn’t exist anymore.
I don't think there's any debate. We all have eyes (no offense). The deeper discussion is how does Keefe go about using him in important games. Since there are none to be played at the moment, the concern will be if if if Keefe decides to start him in the playoffs.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think there's any debate. We all have eyes (no offense). The deeper discussion is how does Keefe go about using him in important games. Since there are none to be played at the moment, the concern will be if if if Keefe decides to start him in the playoffs.
I see no scenario where he doesn’t start him, obviously his play doesn’t matter.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's actually terrible how bad a defensemen's play declines when they start losing skating ability, especially when they were as reliant on it as Brodie is.

Going from a rock solid matchup D to a D that is so bad that they are actively costing their team games in the span of about 1.5 years is quite alarming.

That's fair, Keefe doesnt have to ice the best team.
I'd call it less fair if he does it in the post season .... which he will.
Brodie's play has actually set the bar so low that we have multiple D who could step in and exceed him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It seems incredibly obvious at this point that Brodie is a liability on the back end, looks poised to cripple our playoff chances, given Keefe's unwavering faith in the player. Despite former players, commentators, noting his decline-across the board- supported by abysmal numbers, he still records top pair D minutes, also "toughest" matchups.

To my mind, a Benoit has overtaken him, and that's not necessarily a great compliment, given how much Brodie has declined. Brodie isn't coming back next season, so this bizarre loyalty Keefe has with him, even more confounding.

Brodie is a big part of the PK problem, his inability to clear the puck and show any jam whatsoever out front hurts us routinely. He gets walked defensively, he's so slow now, easily the worst on the team. Physically weak, can't handle the puck, can't get a point shot to the net, zero offensive awareness, just all around mediocre to awful.

Some reporter needs to challenge Keefe with some stats, this guy may well cost him his job in the end. Brodie is washed.
So so true and very well stated .. i think he is getting a pass this year by Keefer because he is a vet .. i fear he might cost us a playoff round .. sad really .. one of those sad but true stories of a guy who father time came a bit early for

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It's so reminiscent of last year with Holl, people could see he was a liability but Keefe stubbornly kept faith in the guy and then he was unplayable in the playoffs.
You mean the guy that shitty Detroit signed to a 3yr deal and is constantly being scratched by said shitty team? Even a crappy Detroit team found out what he is and they DID something about it unlike Keefe.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You mean the guy that shitty Detroit signed to a 3yr deal and is constantly being scratched by said shitty team? Even a crappy Detroit team found out what he is and they DID something about it unlike Keefe.
He was a cautionary tale about advanced stats, remember all the data that suggested our eyes were wrong? At least with Brodie the numbers and the eye align.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
It's overblown, really. I'm not suggesting he's at his best, he's not, only that fans (particularly fans here) run so hot on everyone who has the hint of a struggle. At the end of the day, he's a known entity who will likely step up in the playoffs.

While I don't love Keefe as a coach, even after the deadline his options aren't exactly deep. Benoit, Lyubushkin, Edmundson, Timmy, are bottom pairing type guys. Brodie is going to get minutes unless he's hurt and really that shouldn't surprise anyone, people just run really hot here.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It seems incredibly obvious at this point that Brodie is a liability on the back end, looks poised to cripple our playoff chances, given Keefe's unwavering faith in the player. Despite former players, commentators, noting his decline-across the board- supported by abysmal numbers, he still records top pair D minutes, also "toughest" matchups.

To my mind, a Benoit has overtaken him, and that's not necessarily a great compliment, given how much Brodie has declined. Brodie isn't coming back next season, so this bizarre loyalty Keefe has with him, even more confounding.

Brodie is a big part of the PK problem, his inability to clear the puck and show any jam whatsoever out front hurts us routinely. He gets walked defensively, he's so slow now, easily the worst on the team. Physically weak, can't handle the puck, can't get a point shot to the net, zero offensive awareness, just all around mediocre to awful.

Some reporter needs to challenge Keefe with some stats, this guy may well cost him his job in the end. Brodie is washed.
Are you new here? Brodie will never be benched. It would be a meany story in PC Toronto due to his personal circumstances (wife sick, dad died) and Leafs' management would be vilified in the media.

No, in politically correct Canada, Ontario, and Toronto, job performance doesn't matter. Only "victimhood" matters.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Scratched tonight. One of many D we have who are struggling, but I don't mind him taking a seat.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
No matter how you feel about Brodie, I'd think we're all pretty much in agreement that siting him for tonight (for starters) is a good move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad