Why is Boston such a good organization?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Only 1 cup in last 50 years , yet the question gets asked about them anyways.
What separates them from the likes of the Sabres , Leafs , Blues, Rangers is that the Bruins for the most part comptete , contend and have the respect of the opposing clubs. Also Great culture tradition probably stems from winning the Cup or losing in finals in
10 finals. 3 Cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradely and PB37

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What separates them from the likes of the Sabres , Leafs , Blues, Rangers is that the Bruins for the most part comptete , contend and have the respect of the opposing clubs. Also Great culture tradition probably stems winning the Cup or losing in finals in
10 finals. 3 Cups.

Like you point out, since Orr's rookie year they've been in the mix for over 50 years without an extended period of time in the cellar. Only missing the playoffs 7x since 1967 is the picture of being consistently good.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
50 years with 1 cup is the height of mediocrity, I'd say. Invert it and realize how stubborn and inept you have to be to get so close and never get it done. And there are tangible reasons for that.

Philly has been consistently competitive as well and ask their fans how they feel the last 30 years.

Franchises like CHI, PIT and NJ, despite their dark periods, are much more legendary and admirable because they won it all multiple times.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
50 years with 1 cup is the height of mediocrity, I'd say. Invert it and realize how stubborn and inept you have to be to get so close and never get it done. And there are tangible reasons for that.

Philly has been consistently competitive as well and ask their fans how they feel the last 30 years.

Franchises like CHI, PIT and NJ, despite their dark periods, are much more legendary and admirable because they won it all multiple times.
I'd say the years NJ was winning WAS the dark period...for the NHL. Trap defense dead puck era. Boring! Chicago and Pittsburgh won because they were horrendous before that and got great draft picks. The last time I remember the Bruins dipping that low was when they were horrible in the mid 90s and as a result were able to draft Joe Thornton in 97..and maybe Kessel in 06.

Even the Celtics have only a single title in the last 38 years.
They look good this season though, favorites to win it all 🤞Leagues are larger and more competitive, seeming to have an emphasis on parity today. The days of a team winning 9 out of 10 years like the Celtics did in the 1960s are long over.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Philadelphia was consistently competitive until 2013 when they started missing the playoffs more often. They've been mediocre to now bad since

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
When I hear the name Daugavins, I STILL get pissed off about that play. Hindsight is 20/20, but imho that cost the Bruins the Cup in 2013.

You guys realize your team blew two separate 2 goal leads that game, right? Blaming a rookie for missing a shot in OT for losing a series is a bit rough, especially considering you won game 2 in OT despite being dominated for most of the game.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You guys realize your team blew two separate 2 goal leads that game, right? Blaming a rookie for missing a shot in OT for losing a series is a bit rough, especially considering you won game 2 in OT despite being dominated for most of the game.

3rd season, not a rookie.

And he didn't just miss a shot he missed an open net from 3 ft away.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

As a fan of the bruins biggest rival, I think this is an overly harsh assessment.

I admire teams that are able to extend their stay on the higher end of the compeitive cycle. HF has been predicting the bruins demise year after year, yet they remain stubborn in claiming their playoff ticket (rather comfortably as well). I don't know many teams that would lose their top 2 centers and keep on trucking.

Of course, you want to see more titles, but fans have had the opportunity to stay emotionally invested with at least a hope of cup for the better part of the last 15 years. That's a good run.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
What separates them from the likes of the Sabres , Leafs , Blues, Rangers is that the Bruins for the most part comptete , contend and have the respect of the opposing clubs. Also Great culture tradition probably stems from winning the Cup or losing in finals in
10 finals. 3 Cups.
And you even missed one!

Boston lost in the finals to Edmonton in 1990 as well.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
after winning 3 and 6 championships respectively in 20ish years
But they aren't good anymore, so it isn't a constant high. The Pats are probably in worse shape than the Sox but I don't think either are making the playoffs for a few more years at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad