Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1706626742650.png

1706626821949.png

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Expectations are high, culture is great, they find enough later bloomers and/or mid-late round draft steals to remain solid. And the goaltending has been great since Tim Thomas got his chance after the lockout.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
They have a team culture that keeps them relevant year after year. Players have fully bought in.

That said, this same culture is part of why they're also trashed heaped on them on this forum for moving on from highly skilled young players, passing on certain players in the draft, and personnel decisions.

Everyone would love their continued relevance, many would lose their minds with many of the decisions that go into building a certain culture.

A big part of it since the lockout is the continuity in net. It's rare to have an unbroken string of elite goaltending

Thomas
Rask
Ullmark/Swayman

Gotta give a shout out to their secret weapon who connects all of those dots, Bobby Essensa, Boston Bruins Goaltending Coach since 2003. He's the Dante Scarnecchia of the Bruins.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Witchcraft and Black Magic most likely.

Players come out of the woodwork to play well in Boston then disappear elsewhere.

Bob Essensa is using voodoo to turn goalies into stars in their system

I probably speak for most fans here that Boston legitimately deserves a downturn where we don't have to endlessly see their logo in the playoffs and their myriad of teams just suck. Everyone else has had to deal with that; yet Boston sports have effectively been a constant high since the new millennium

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
One reason is that they’ve managed to draft superstar level forward and defender with later picks than they’re usually found at, despite being already a relatively competitive team.

Pasta as a 25th pick after finishing 1st in the league and McAvoy at 14th after just barely missing the playoffs is excellent way to make sure you stay competitive.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They have a team culture that keeps them relevant year after year. Players have fully bought in.

That said, this same culture is part of why they're also trashed heaped on them on this forum for moving on from highly skilled young players, passing on certain players in the draft, and personnel decisions.

Everyone would love their continued relevance, many would lose their minds with many of the decisions that go into building a certain culture.

Gotta give a shout out to their secret weapon who connects all of those dots, Bobby Essensa, Boston Bruins Goaltending Coach since 2003. He's the Dante Scarnecchia of the Bruins.
Reminds me of the Patriots/Belichick's decisions to not draft high skilled, often diva/narcissist WRs in favor of "culture" guys, and the Patriots ended up with the most WR draft busts in the 21st Century, but still won 6 Super Bowls with Brady/Belichick.

Reactions: rfournier103

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seems like everyone buys into a winning culture during the regular season. It is strange how ineffective they are in the playoffs since they’ve basically been the best regular season team (wins-wise) since the 04 lockout.

It’s gotta be culture and having franchise pillars to lean on every season: Chara, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, McCovy, and 13 years of great goaltending.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
They have the ability to hold players for long periods on good contracts too, lots of the deals they sign are some of the best in the league. Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta were all on great deals that let them spread out a balanced roster

they’ve also had a quality #D forever it feels like

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Same goes for the flip side. There are purely incompetent organizations that are continually bad because they have idiots running the show, and once they start losing it’s hard to get out of that hole because the players don’t know how to win.
Hell:sabres there 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No high draft picks in forever. Retirements to key players. High tax state. Just seems like they always have later picks stepping up and every signing/trade they make seems to work out.

What has Boston figured out that everyone else hasn’t?
Take the Maple Leafs organization and flip it.
There is your answer

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I could totally be wrong, but from what I see, Boston has an archetype player when they are rooting for acquisitions. Two-way play is a must. They must have a work ethic and a little bit of physicality doesn't hurt. It's no surprise that those combinations lead to winning formulas. The also hire coaches who don't put up with lollygaggers and demand accountability.

Contrast it with the team that I root for (see avatar) and you get a lot of cream puffs who are not used to hard work or accountability. They can make many mistakes and seldom face any punishments and might even get an increase of ice time. Their coaching is all rah-rah and buddy-buddy and the players are handled with kid gloves. The owner tolerates this and even borderline encourages it.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Bruins presently 6th in the NHL in pen taken/60. Only 1 playoff team (Florida) has taken more penalties than Boston.

Hello from first btw!

Quit dodging the leafs, get back into second

Also, who gives a shit if they’re the 6th most penalized team? They should probably have double the amount of penalties they’ve taken this year

It’s obvious some teams just play with different rules than others

The league refuses to treat Boston equally because they are obsessed with penalty equity. They would never call Boston for double the penalties as their opponent, but if the refs called the game by the rules that’s what would likely happen

Marchand should have had 2 suspensions just in games against the leafs this year, on plays that the refs didn’t even penalize

It’s just a fact, the bruins are one the teams who benefit from the backwards way the NHL calls the game

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Solide regular season team year after year ,but don't get me wrong they have 1 cup in 53 years so when I read terms like "Unreal and insane" it's kind of to much.
Can imagine what you think of the teams that never get to finals. Never win cups. Rarely win play off series. Miss play offs more times than they make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad