Why is Boston such a good organization?

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
Can we discuss the officiating in last nights Ottawa game? If I extrapolate from that, the NHL hates the Bruins
They were leading the whole time, at times by two. What better way skew counts and counter bias perceptions when the calls don't mean much. They'll just swallow the whistle like they did once it becomes a 1 goal or tie game.

Not saying this is an exmple of favourtism. It happens to other teams as well. Prime example of game management.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They were leading the whole time, at times by two. What better way skew counts and counter bias perceptions when the calls don't mean much. They'll just swallow the whistle like they did once it becomes a 1 goal or tie game.

Not saying this is an exmple of favourtism. It happens to other teams as well. Prime example of game management.

So the Bruins success is due to the refs helping them out, which is cleverly covered up by the refs calling penalties against them when they are leading in a game? Quite the theory, except the refs called a penalty against the Bruins late in the third with the game 3-2, and that led to a PP goal by Ottawa to tie it up.

Let me guess, you don't think much before you post, do you?

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
So the Bruins success is due to the refs helping them out, which is cleverly covered up by the refs calling penalties against them when they are leading in a game? Quite the theory, except the refs called a penalty against the Bruins late in the third with the game 3-2, and that led to a PP goal by Ottawa to tie it up.

Let me guess, you don't think much before you post, do you?
Borderline calls are more easily called when there's a big lead. Blatant calls will still get called depending on the ref's mood. Was the Bruin's first goal not a pp?

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
What's with the blatant denialism? Worried about losing the privilidges when everyone looks closer at the finer details? I'm not even suggesting there's been any favoritism the last couple of years, just game management makes any penalty differential a moot point of discussion.

Reactions: Strangle

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Borderline calls are more easily called when there's a big lead. Blatant calls will still get called depending on the ref's mood. Was the Bruin's first goal not a pp?

Do you know how foolish you look when you start with a conclusion and then twist the facts to fit it, rather than starting with the facts and then coming to a conclusion?

Very, very foolish. Also, remember the Bruins PP in the 2011 playoffs was 11% and the Canucks PP was outscored by the Bruin PK 2 to 1. No matter who the refs called for penalties, it wasn't helping anyone.

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
Do you know how foolish you look when you start with a conclusion and then twist the facts to fit it, rather than starting with the facts and then coming to a conclusion?

Very, very foolish. Also, remember the Bruins PP in the 2011 playoffs was 11% and the Canucks PP was outscored by the Bruin PK 2 to 1. No matter who the refs called for penalties, it wasn't helping anyone.
Huh? Canucks? I didn't even mention them.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What's with the blatant denialism? Worried about losing the privilidges when everyone looks closer at the finer details? I'm not even suggesting there's been any favoritism the last couple of years, just game management makes any penalty differential a moot point of discussion.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
They won a Cup, which makes them not the Sharks, so they aren't a failure.

They probably should have more Cups and the drafting of Hamill, Caron, Subban, Zboril, and Senyshyn explains for part of the reason why they don't have more. Other picks like Knight and Khokhlachev don't help.

They're still a model organization for being able to lose so many great players due to retirement, injuries, trades, UFA, and remain a consistent contender each year. They've built an incredible culture that every Bruins player buys into, and even the haters have to respect that.

Playoff underachiever yes, but still a model franchise.
I can agree with this post. However, that cup isn't very recent and at some point not relevant. I guess the point is they won a cup 13 years ago and have managed to remain competitive every year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hit on Pasternak and McAvoy when they wheels started to come off the remainders from the 2011 team. You typically need higher 1st round picks to draft players of that caliber.

We benched the best goalie in the NHL in Swayman for a badly injured Rask and let Ullmark put them in big holes both of the last two years. Not getting that second Cup is a big failure. Could have come any of the seasons since 2011.

I think the NHL is really bad right now the other top teams are down and the crap 'young' teams didn't improve much. So the Bruins weren't going to fall far from last years record setting season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
At what point in a 3-2 OT game was there a “big lead” by anyone?

Yes there firstngoal was on the PP, after 2 PKs killed by the Bruins.

Gunna guess you didn’t watch the game?

Reactions: jgatie

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
I'm not denying the pk's. Watched a 10 min highlight. Saw a few missed hooks and interference in the first. Like I said, I don't accuse them of being favored this year or last. The pendulum has probably swung in the opposite direction for skill and they're being affected by game management as well.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I think it’s nice that there are people out there that think the Bruins are a good organization.

1-7 in the Stanley Cup Final since winning the Cup in ‘72. One lousy championship in the last FIFTY years…? I suppose better than some, not as good as others. C’est la vie.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The team is extremely popular and important in Boston/New England but players (rarely) have to deal with being berated at the store when the team is losing, which you see in most Canadian markets. Popularity with privacy, if you will
I've never heard of this happening in Vancouver or with any regularity anywhere.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Probably because they're not putting players or stat padding before the team. While they're kissing Bergeron's ass in various ways out in public, it seems behind closed doors no one in that org is a bigger star than Cam Neely, and either you toe that line or you're out.

To me, the writing was on the wall for Chicago's latest mini-dynasty the moment they threw Kane and Toews up on the draft podium to present some 1st round pick, in a pretty corny Chip n Dale fashion, talking about them as if they were already retired.

Lately the LA Kings had a "Kopitar Night" right in the middle of a serious losing skid, and then got soundly curb-stomped by Buffalo's Legion of Zoom.

LA had also built a great foundation of two-way hustle around Danault, Trevor Moore and young Gabe Vilardi, and then instead threw two bags full of hazelnuts at Fiala and Dubois, losing Vilardi in the process. I wonder how much "win another Cup for Kopitar" or "get a replacement for Kopitar" could've had something to do with it.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Probably because they're not putting players or stat padding before the team.
Pretty good take.

When Pittsburgh visits another city, people pay to see Crosby. When Edmonton visits another city, people go to see McDavid. When the Bruins come to town, people pay to see the team. It’s been like that since Orr left.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think it’s nice that there are people out there that think the Bruins are a good organization.

1-7 in the Stanley Cup Final since winning the Cup in ‘72. One lousy championship in the last FIFTY years…? I suppose better than some, not as good as others. C’est la vie.
I mean of all the teams that haven't won recent Cups its not like anyone has been as good as the Bruins. The Rangers have been more or less good over the same time 15 year period and have less to show. Also have drafted far higher than the Bruins.

Recently:

3 playoff losses playing the wrong goalie and screwing over Swayman.
1 epic choke to St Louis in the finals
3 sound defeats to Tampa when their semi dynasty was peaking

Bad but not awful underachievement better than Toronto who has been good those years. 2021 either lose to Tampa or get to beat Montreal in a weird but cool finals with a packed Garden and empty Bell Center. 2022 and 2023 we probably aren't beating Colorado or Vegas. But still have the edge in net should we get there. Rask single handedly cost us 2013 choking to a horrible goalie. Some of these losses like the Isle and Florida series sting when you consider what the other team had in net and how bad their goaltending was.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Great organisation. They have an incredible team culture. This core started in 2003, then upgraded in 2006 with Chara. Both Bergeron and Chara are great leaders, mostly by example, and now the leadership group are following. Pastrnak, Marchand and Macavoy in the future are answering the bell and lhe last two years, Briuins are playing higher than expectations.

One point is that since Timmy Thomas, in net they are just incredible. Rask, Ullmark and Swayman are among the best NHL keeper and that is for me, the Bostons best 2 decades major assets and still is in 2024.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Only in modern history (20 years) 2023, 2022, 2014, 2010 and 2004 were pathetic chokejobs. Plus the blown stanley cup winning teams by Claude Julien and his loser style of coaching in 2009 and 2013.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Only in modern history (20 years) 2023, 2022, 2014, 2010 and 2004 were pathetic chokejobs. Plus the blown stanley cup winning teams by Claude Julien and his loser style of coaching in 2009 and 2013.
Each year.... for the exception of one team SC champions, all the others did not.

So I imagine in your analysis.... for the exception of 23 players a year all the others are losers...
Marcel Dionne must be a loser, and Bourque became a winner in Colorado....etc....
Simple comment, brings simple analysis....

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
•Charlie Coyle has impressed this season.
3 game winners in last 6 games. 10 points in that span and +9.
•In Boston the jersey is always more important than the individual.
•JVR is even looking great there. 1 goal 2 assists yesterday.
•The two goalie split works wonderfully for this team

Being good is having a team that competes for the final prize year in year out. The Bruins have not missed the playoffs - the moment where teams REALLY compete for the final prize - for more than two seasons in a row in 55 years. Probably the whole of HFBoards fans would be proud of their team being that good.
you got that right

if the Maple Leafs could pull that off downtown Toronto would be full of statues

Last edited:

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
No high draft picks in forever. Retirements to key players. High tax state. Just seems like they always have later picks stepping up and every signing/trade they make seems to work out.

What has Boston figured out that everyone else hasn’t?
Id like to know too.. 1 cup in 30 years. Would like to know how they have dominated for so long.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I've never heard of this happening in Vancouver or with any regularity anywhere.
It has happened in Edmonton multiple times

Pretty good take.

When Pittsburgh visits another city, people pay to see Crosby. When Edmonton visits another city, people go to see McDavid. When the Bruins come to town, people pay to see the team. It’s been like that since Orr left.
Bruins are also the most popular US team in the league. The fandom is huge in the United States and Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad