Why is Boston such a good organization?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They drafted Lucic, Bergeron, Krecji and Marchand outside the 1st round in a span of four years, and players seem to like the city. There are other factors but those are probably the most important.
The team is extremely popular and important in Boston/New England but players (rarely) have to deal with being berated at the store when the team is losing, which you see in most Canadian markets. Popularity with privacy, if you will

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don’t really think anyone is calling it Cup success, just that since 2011 their league standings are as follows:

2011 - 7th (Cup)
2012 - 7th
2013 - 5th (finals)
2014 - 1st
2015- 18th
2016 - 16th (missed playoffs by 1pt)
2017- 13th
2018 - 4th
2019 - 2nd (finals)
2020- 1st
2021- 10th
2022- 10th
2023 - 1st (NHL record in points)
2024 - competing for 1st

They’ve done all this despite losing two HoF level goalies, a HoF Selke champion, a HoF defenseman, a 1st like C calibre player in Krejci all due to age. You could even include Savard in there to injury.

They’ve done all that despite constantly being buyers at the deadline and their only top 10 picks on their roster weren’t even their own picks (Hamilton/Seguin) and weren’t around very long.

It’s just such an interesting way they’ve stayed so competitive for so long.

Sure Chicago has had more success with Cups but they had to go through a massive rebuild now.
LA had more success with Cups but they also bottomed out a few times in this span and still have a few key players from their Cup Runs remaining on the team (I think Boston only has Marchand who was a rookie at the time)

Both Pens and Bolts have more Cup success but they were both built off of 1st and 2nd overall franchise level players and the Pens especially are about to enter a long long rebuild.

But, apparently this can all just be explained by refferee preferential treatment…
Thank you.

I am not taking anything away from what Boston has developed, sustained and achieved. That's a good list you provided there. I have predicted their demise many times over the past 13 years because they have endured what has caused other teams to decline.

My question and point, and not necessarily for you is that teams that don't win cups and championships are often called chokers and squanderers of opportunity. I don't feel this way, I think the goal when building a franchise is to be a contender and strong team every year and then to hope you get lucky a couple of times and win a cup.

I would take the Boston model all day long, it just seems like many on here are binary in "win a cup, or be a failure".

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Thank you.

I am not taking anything away from what Boston has developed, sustained and achieved. That's a good list you provided there. I have predicted their demise many times over the past 13 years because they have endured what has caused other teams to decline.

My question and point, and not necessarily for you is that teams that don't win cups and championships are often called chokers and squanderers of opportunity. I don't feel this way, I think the goal when building a franchise is to be a contender and strong team every year and then to hope you get lucky a couple of times and win a cup.

I would take the Boston model all day long, it just seems like many on here are binary in "win a cup, or be a failure".
They won a Cup, which makes them not the Sharks, so they aren't a failure.

They probably should have more Cups and the drafting of Hamill, Caron, Subban, Zboril, and Senyshyn explains for part of the reason why they don't have more. Other picks like Knight and Khokhlachev don't help.

They're still a model organization for being able to lose so many great players due to retirement, injuries, trades, UFA, and remain a consistent contender each year. They've built an incredible culture that every Bruins player buys into, and even the haters have to respect that.

Playoff underachiever yes, but still a model franchise.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Nobody has said "not that evidence". Not one single person. What we have continuously said is that one game is not proof of any widespread conspiracy to help the Bruins.

Again, I’m using this one game to establish the pattern of officiating. But you are so hung up on shutting down any talk about the officiating that you’re losing your minds (not you specifically, but the 4-5 bruins fans who have been replying to me), I will never get to the later parts of the argument. If we can’t agree that game 2 in 2019 was officiated one-sided, there’s nothing else I’ll say that will make any sense to you.

The Mcavoy on Hyman play is not interference lmao. You can hit a guy after he lets go of the puck. I humored you, watched the highlights, and left my comments, which you completely ignored. The worst miss calls were the Gzreclyk high stick and Tavares pushing Rask in the crease. The DeBrusk knee was borderline, but I can't see him moving his leg, so it looks like incidental contact to me. What other play did you have an issue with?

Right there, we are on two different planets. The play on Hyman is interference.

Interference is covered by rule 56 of the NHL rule book and states that a player isn’t allowed to restrain or impede an opponent with any part of the body or stick if the opponent isn’t in possession of the puck

How can anyone have an actual conversation with you about officiating when you don’t even know the rules.

If you’re a bruins fan, maybe that makes sense. Maybe you’ve never seen an interference penalty called before, I don’t know. Make it make sense

I agree that the knee on knee was borderline, but in a game going out of control the refs need to call that, or we end up with what happened in the end, a cross check to the face and a dive from debrusk to sell it.

And a suspension to Kadri

Aside from those plays, there shouldn’t have been a double minor to Kadri and debrusk, debrusk simply mauled Kadri, he should be the only one to go to the box.

That would have given the leafs 2 powerplays in a 0-0 game

Muzzin hit was borderline

Mauling Tavares in the crease was a penalty

Elbow to the face along the benches was a penalty

I’d have to go through each play one by one, but I think you get the picture.

If even be okay not calling the pasta hit if some of these were called. Especially the high stick to Tavares, that’s supposed to be automatic

Wait...
So one game is enough to prove your point, but not enough to prove mine. Is that what you're saying?

One game to set the terms of the discussion. I’m not stopping at that game, that game is to show you what the argument is. We never got to expand from there because you don’t want to

Again, every single person in this thread knows that refs manage the game. What we don't know, and what there is absolutely no proof of, is that they do it to favour one specific team.

Show me where I said the refs only do it to favor one specific team. That’s what you guys are saying I said. I didn’t say that. You made that up in your own mind.

I said the bruins benefit from favorable officiating. That doesn’t preclude the golden knights, the avalanche, the panthers, or the maple leafs from also benefitting from favorable officiating.

You’re making up your own argument here, I didn’t say that it favors only the bruins, or that the league favors only the bruins.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Thank you.

Yeah agree with you entirely.

As I said earlier in this thread, I watched the Wings be competitive for so long and enjoyed a ton of Cups, but like every team besides the Bruins, eventually retiring stars and years of giving away picks/prospects led to a half decade of basically unwatchable rosters.

I would have much preferred the Bruins model of (somehow) always giving your team a chance to win, even if they don’t actually quite get there.

With that said, it needs to be actually realistic. The worst spot to be IMO is teams like Calgary or Minnesota who make the playoffs sometimes, but also never bottom out for elite prospects when they do miss. That’s IMO, the worst spot to be as a fan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Thank you.

I think it's a simplified view, a lot of luck (bounces and health) goes into a single cup win. Sure, any Bruin fan would prefer another cup or two, but I think the fact I get to enjoy watching them play and compete every year is a great positive to me.

Im not sure I'd enjoy as much being a fan of Chicago/Kings who had more cup success, but they have been through some down years where their teams were basically unwatchable....but in contrast I doubt those fans trade their cup success for competing for a prolonged time like the Bruins

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Again, I’m using this one game to establish the pattern of officiating. But you are so hung up on shutting down any talk about the officiating that you’re losing your minds (not you specifically, but the 4-5 bruins fans who have been replying to me), I will never get to the later parts of the argument. If we can’t agree that game 2 in 2019 was officiated one-sided, there’s nothing else I’ll say that will make any sense to you.

Right there, we are on two different planets. The play on Hyman is interference.

Interference is covered by rule 56 of the NHL rule book and states that a player isn’t allowed to restrain or impede an opponent with any part of the body or stick if the opponent isn’t in possession of the puck

How can anyone have an actual conversation with you about officiating when you don’t even know the rules.

If you’re a bruins fan, maybe that makes sense. Maybe you’ve never seen an interference penalty called before, I don’t know. Make it make sense

You are allowed to finish your check. If you're a Leafs fan, maybe that makes sense. You've never seen it happen before. I don't know. Make it make sense.

I agree that the knee on knee was borderline, but in a game going out of control the refs need to call that, or we end up with what happened in the end, a cross check to the face and a dive from debrusk to sell it.

And a suspension to Kadri

Kadri is a puke. Maybe don't cross check people in the face after a completely clean hit.

Aside from those plays, there shouldn’t have been a double minor to Kadri and debrusk, debrusk simply mauled Kadri, he should be the only one to go to the box.

That would have given the leafs 2 powerplays in a 0-0 game

LMAO. Imagine getting up in arms about those weak calls not being made in the playoffs.

Muzzin hit was borderline

Mauling Tavares in the crease was a penalty

Elbow to the face along the benches was a penalty

I’d have to go through each play one by one, but I think you get the picture.

If even be okay not calling the pasta hit if some of these were called. Especially the high stick to Tavares, that’s supposed to be automatic
Mauling Tavares in the crease? You mean after he skated into the crease and shoved Rask?
I agree the Gzreclyk high stick on Tavares was missed.

The rest of it is just whining because your team was outplayed.

One game to set the terms of the discussion. I’m not stopping at that game, that game is to show you what the argument is. We never got to expand from there because you don’t want to
I can expand from there into other games the Leafs have lost as well.
First you need to admit that the Blue Jackets are better, but you don't want to go there.

Show me where I said the refs only do it to favor one specific team. That’s what you guys are saying I said. I didn’t say that. You made that up in your own mind.
You said the Bruins win because they get favorable treatment from the refs. Logically that would mean that the teams they play against don't.

I said the bruins benefit from favorable officiating. That doesn’t preclude the golden knights, the avalanche, the panthers, or the maple leafs from also benefitting from favorable officiating.

It does if they are playing the Bruins.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yes, 1 game samples are the template going forward now.

First we have to agree the NHL hates the Bruins due to this game. If we can't even do that, how can we move on to other evidence?

• Haha
Reactions: Sigh

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You are allowed to finish your check. If you're a Leafs fan, maybe that makes sense. You've never seen it happen before. I don't know. Make it make sense.

Kadri is a puke. Maybe don't cross check people in the face after a completely clean hit.

LMAO. Imagine getting up in arms about those weak calls not being made in the playoffs.

Mauling Tavares in the crease? You mean after he skated into the crease and shoved Rask?
I agree the Gzreclyk high stick on Tavares was missed.

The rest of it is just whining because your team was outplayed.

I can expand from there into other games the Leafs have lost as well.
First you need to admit that the Blue Jackets are better, but you don't want to go there.

You said the Bruins win because they get favorable treatment from the refs. Logically that would mean that the teams they play against don't.

It does if they are playing the Bruins.

Alright, we are just not going to agree on literally anything

Hope to see you in the playoffs!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The team is extremely popular and important in Boston/New England but players (rarely) have to deal with being berated at the store when the team is losing, which you see in most Canadian markets. Popularity with privacy, if you will

You're not wrong. I'm trying to find the article, but DeBrusk talked about how even after his trade request and getting boo'd at home, fans who spoke with him on the street were very nice and supportive of him.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Cassidy shouldn't have been fired. His successor is okay but has yet to win a playoff series.

And the mere thought of the Bruins considering Miller is a bad mark.

That said I've been saying the Bruins are trending downhill especially since that Cassidy move and been proven wrong. I think they're a decent organization but let's not sugarcoat it, there was a time not so long ago where Bruins fans wanted Sweeney and Neely gone lol
Not all Bruins fans wanted them gone.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The other is that they get favorable treatment by the refs.

It’s not as controversial of an opinion as you seem determined to make it.

When the leafs were batting the sens around in the playoffs, I had enough introspection to understand that the refs let the leafs get away with tons of shit that let them bully the sens into submission

Bruins fans just can’t see the forest for the trees
You must never watch Bs games because this is SO far from true. Did you watch last night's game?...probably NOT

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Thank you.

Losing to Chicago in 2013 doesn't bother me. That was a stupid good Hawks team that beat a Bruins team that was better than the 2011 version. Sometimes you run into a super team and injury luck always plays a role. Bruins were very healthy in 2011. Not so much in 2013 or 2019 or last playoffs.

Going out in the first round last year and losing to the Blues in game 7 HURT. And not getting a second Cup out of one of those runs is part of this Bruins groups legacy.

But I'd rather go through that hurt than the years of boring indifference from not competing.

If so I will be there...Just like I was in 2013

I would love to play the Leafs and the Canucks in the playoffs this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad