Why did we let Clarke MacArthur walk?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I say John Ferguson Jr ranks above him in that category. Yes Nonis did dumb things like signing David Clarkson, however JFJ did the Rask for Raycroft trade.

JFjr didn’t want to make that trade. And he tried everything he could to foist Pogge on the Bruins.

The BOG wanted the Leafs to maintain the Cup runs with the Muskoka 5 still on board.

They wanted a replacement for Belfour.

And honestly if the Leafs had a competent backup that season it wouldn’t have been as bad. (We would’ve made the playoffs and had a good chance at competing for the Cup.)

That being said, JFjr also wanted to dismantle the Muskoka 5 but again the BOG intervened and said no.

JFjr said he anticipated a faster, skill-based league resulting from the post-lockout rule changes and felt the Leafs were too slow to compete.

Honestly, JFjr was probably one of the better GMs we’ve had he just wasn’t actually the GM.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
JFjr didn’t want to make that trade. And he tried everything he could to foist Pogge on the Bruins.

The BOG wanted the Leafs to maintain the Cup runs with the Muskoka 5 still on board.

They wanted a replacement for Belfour.

And honestly if the Leafs had a competent backup that season it wouldn’t have been as bad. (We would’ve made the playoffs and had a good chance at competing for the Cup.)

That being said, JFjr also wanted to dismantle the Muskoka 5 but again the BOG intervened and said no.

JFjr said he anticipated a faster, skill-based league resulting from the post-lockout rule changes and felt the Leafs were too slow to compete.

Honestly, JFjr was probably one of the better GMs we’ve had he just wasn’t actually the GM.
I remember reading that JFJ first tried to trade Pogge for Rask and later on it was reported he thought Pogge was projected to be better since he just won Gold for Canada at the World Juniors in January 2006. So take from that what you want.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He may have, though Nonis was the Gm during their final season with the Leafs
I'm almost positive Burke said that after the 2011 trade deadline when the Leafs had worked their way into contention for the 8th and final playoff spot, however it was never a guarantee that they were going to make it.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
The last 2 ron wilson years, the kulemin, grabovski, cmac line put up massive points. However when carlyle came in, he decided to use that line as a two way line often putting them up against top lines. He did this because kadri was a rookie coming up and carlyle wanted to shelter kadri on the third line. The kgm line had more defensive responsbilities while kadri was allowed to flourish. Kadri’s development was one of carlyle’s brightspots on the team and carlyle advocated for his development. Carlyle definitely pissed off that entire kgm line with defensive responsibilities and occasionally throwing them under the bus, which is why they all left livid.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As many have mentioned, Carlyle is an idiot and scratched him/buried him in the playoffs on the final year of his contract. He walked in the off-season.

Terrible asset management if we're being honest. If Nonis knew that Carlyle wasn't going to play him, he should have been traded at the deadline. He was still quite a valuable player at the time (if placed with a coach that knew anything).

Carlyle opted for McLaren instead.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't have characterized MacArthur as extremely valuable or productive or anything like that...

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
You would think having Matthews, Marner and Nylander would mean we wouldnt have to reminisce about completely mediocre, replacable players... yet here we are.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
They had one good season of having 60ish points and Kulie hit 30 goals. I loved Grabovskis heart and he had some highlight reel goals. Macarthur was a pretty intelligent player who could play on most teams top 6.

The KGM line looked fantastic but we let them diminish and got nothing in return. Kind of sad I genuinely liked all 3 of them.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
While we're at it... I demand to know why the Leafs got rid of defenseman Jason Smith back in 1999.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
That line of Mac-Grabs-Kulemin was a true 1B line, and some nights was better than our 1A line of Lupul-Bozak-Kessel.

........... and all 3 of them hated Carlyle.

Now that his career is over, I hope Mac is able to get away from the concussions and live a good life away from the rink. His last few years were awful and he didn't seem to be taking the obvious signs that his career should be over very seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad