Why did we let Clarke MacArthur walk?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Man it's fun looking back on how much players we've let go that could've netted us 4+ 1sts by now

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The whole KLM line -- which was one of the best in the NHL -- was let go.

In 2010-11, he had the highest P1/60 on the Leafs -- and good enough to beat Duchene, Pat Kane, Sharp, Jeff Carter... And Grabovski wasn't far behind. I really enjoyed watching the KLM line play.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Why did we let Clarke MacArthur walk?

Just a reminder about UFA means. Unrestricted Free Agent. Leafs had no hold on him. Players can sign with any team that want. This "we let CM walk" is so non sensical.
Plus Ottawa paid too much and had too much term.
Anyone paying attention at the time would've heard about how his preference was to stay in Toronto, and the first contract he signed with Ottawa was for 2 years, $3.25M AAV.

He left because Carlyle was an idiot who scratched him to play Frazer McLaren in the playoffs.

Reactions: Menzinger

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Management were somewhat inept and Clark had an agent who was also somewhat inept.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The whole KLM line -- which was one of the best in the NHL -- was let go.

In 2010-11, he had the highest P1/60 on the Leafs -- and good enough to beat Duchene, Pat Kane, Sharp, Jeff Carter... And Grabovski wasn't far behind. I really enjoyed watching the KLM line play.

The fact the Leafs didn’t get a single long term asset to show for essentially getting rid of the KGM line for nothing was simply disasterous from a managerial POV. Infuriating.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How does Burke get off the hook with his terrible UFA signings and trades. Hard to believe a rich organization could hire three incompetent in a row ....the Dark Ages in LeafLand.
Burke traded Francois Beauchemin into Jake Gardiner. I guess you can also include Joffrey Lupul as being good when he was not hurt, since he was also included in that trade.

As for Mike Komisarek even though he turned out to be a disappointment, compared to what other UFA's have signed for the past few years, Komisarek's contract doesn't look bad.

He also traded Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk which I say was his best trade as the Leafs GM.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The fact the Leafs didn’t get a single long term asset to show for essentially getting rid of the KGM line for nothing was simply disasterous from a managerial POV. Infuriating.

By the time the KGM line was gotten rid of, they weren't really worth much to anyone. 2010-2011 they were great, and never came close again to those heights.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
By the time the KGM line was gotten rid of, they weren't really worth much to anyone. 2010-2011 they were great, and never came close again to those heights.

Part of that was Carlyle essentially killing their value by changing their usage so drastically. If he didn’t want them on the team (which was certainly the case) Nonis should have traded them earlier when their value was higher.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
MacArthur signed a 2 year X 3.25M contract in Ottawa and put up 55 points the next season.

Had to dump him to make room for 7 years X 5.25M David Clarkson who managed 11 points in his first season here, and to trade for Bolland who managed to stay healthy for 23 games that year (big surprise).

Nonis was an idiot. Almost everything he did was dumb. Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf extensions rather than selling high on three guys after a clearly failed core. Trading for Bolland, signing Clarkson, letting MacArthur/Kulemin walk for nothing, buying out 1 year of Komisarek on a compliance buyout rather than I think 3 years of Liles at the time, etc.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
MacArthur signed a 2 year X 3.25M contract in Ottawa and put up 55 points the next season.

Had to dump him to make room for 7 years X 5.25M David Clarkson who managed 11 points in his first season here, and to trade for Bolland who managed to stay healthy for 23 games that year (big surprise).

Nonis was an idiot. Almost everything he did was dumb. Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf extensions rather than selling high on three guys after a clearly failed core. Trading for Bolland, signing Clarkson, letting MacArthur/Kulemin walk for nothing, buying out 1 year of Komisarek on a compliance buyout rather than I think 3 years of Liles at the time, etc.
I thought it was Grabovski who was bought out to make room for Clarkson? Since MacArthur was a UFA they simply choose not to re-sign him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I thought it was Grabovski who was bought out to make room for Clarkson? Since MacArthur was a UFA they simply choose not to re-sign him.

Exactly. They didn't have capspace to keep MacArthur if they were bringing in Clarkson + Bolland, so they let him walk. They also bought out Grabovski + Komi, and specifically did Komi instead of Liles to save an extra ~1M for one season, but be stuck with Liles' contract for several more seasons afterwards.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly. They didn't have capspace to keep MacArthur if they were bringing in Clarkson + Bolland, so they let him walk. They also bought out Grabovski + Komi, and specifically did Komi instead of Liles to save an extra ~1M for one season, but be stuck with Liles' contract for several more seasons afterwards.
When they traded for Bolland they had no idea Clarkson would agree to sign with them, because the Bolland trade was done before at the 2013 draft.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Because Nonis thought the Leafs would have a shot at the cup that year so he didnt bother to trade an UFA for picks and assets. Lou took a page from this.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I say John Ferguson Jr ranks above him in that category. Yes Nonis did dumb things like signing David Clarkson, however JFJ did the Rask for Raycroft trade.

I like shitting on JFJ as much as the next person, but I think it's pretty much an open secret that Rask for Raycroft (and Toskala for the draft picks) were from upper management. He didn't really make any good moves otherwise and a lot of bad ones that were probably all him, but I don't think he was ever really given the chance to succeed.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The KGM line was a funny little blip in leafs' history.

Hard to believe that people still think about them when we have Marleau, Kadri, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Johnsson...

I liked MacArthur too, but I wasn't kicking and screaming when OTT signed him.

I feel sorry for him now. His health is probably at the level of "very concerning" status.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Sooo what was the net effect of us "losing" MacArthur anyway?

Finishing 5th last instead of maybe 7th last?

Oh nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Because the Bunny magic wore off.

Blame the bunny. That is what Clarke MacArthur says. He is sort of joking. And yet he is also running out of options. What once was the Toronto Maple Leafs’ most productive forward line cannot seem to find the back of the net this season. And superstitions being what they are, fingers are pointing toward the once-lucky bunny that sits in his dressing room stall.
“We’re done with that thing,” MacArthur said. “Smash the bunny.”
“We need to put in the garbage that bunny right now,” linemate Mikhail Grabovski added.
The bunny is a small decorative glass statue that was given to Nikolai Kulemin from his agent last season to mark the Year of the Rabbit according to the Chinese calendar. It quickly turned into a good-luck charm for he and his linemates. After every game, the player who scored the most points got to keep the bunny in his dressing-room stall.
Coincidentally, the three enjoyed career-best seasons: MacArthur had 21 goals and 62 points; Grabovski had 29 goals and 58 points; and Kulemin had 30 goals and 57 points.
But the magic has appears to have worn off.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Brian Burke once say he could have got first round picks for them and he choose not to trade them?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The KGM line was a funny little blip in leafs' history.

Hard to believe that people still think about them when we have Marleau, Kadri, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Johnsson...

I liked MacArthur too, but I wasn't kicking and screaming when OTT signed him.

I feel sorry for him now. His health is probably at the level of "very concerning" status.

You’re right in the sense that’s MacArthur wasn’t a player in some ways to loose sleep about losing. But the assets/picks we could/should have got from trading him could be helping this Leafs team win today.I would have loved to have had an extra 2nd or 1st in the 2013 or 2014 draft classes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad