Why did Canada fail at 2006 Olympics?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I agree with the sentiment but it’s odd that you singled out St Louis and Heatley. They’d both make any team I’d put together at the time.

Out - Bertuzzi, Doan, Smyth, Draper
In - Kariya, Staal, Crosby, Marleau

I’m ok with heatly. His main partner was spezza in Ottawa. Best line in hockey.

losing jovo and neidermayer stung big. We lost much needed speed from the back end.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Just look at the defense. Blake, Bouwmeester, Foote, McCabe, Pronger, Redden, Regher, and the only defenseman who could move the puck up ice was Boyle who was a reserve. Not discounting Pronger who has one of the best breakout passes for a D.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What was the reason Canada failed at 2006 Olympics?

Roster selection mistakes? Bad coaching? Absence of Niedermeyer & Crosby? Wrong goalie starting? Or just a bad luck?

Why did Canada fail in 2006 Olympics? What was the rehind that failure?
Other teams wanted to win as well and are always hot playing against Canada.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Canada also left very talented guys like Niedermeyer, Crosby, Staal, Spezza etc. at home while taking Kris motherf***ing Draper.
It was hard to score against Draper. And for a classic 3rd liner, he didn't produce too bad.
But I sort of agree. I remember often the Canadian team was picked with an NHL regular season philosophy. They wanted their defensive forwards and their grinders in as well. If that is a mistake, I can't say. Probably depends on the game. Canada could certainly have picked more offense.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It was hard to score against Draper. And for a classic 3rd liner, he didn't produce too bad.
But I sort of agree. I remember often the Canadian team was picked with an NHL regular season philosophy. They wanted their defensive forwards and their grinders in as well. If that is a mistake, I can't say. Probably depends on the game. Canada could certainly have picked more offense.

They scored 14 goals in 6 games. Lack of offence is the reason they did not do good.

They left 2 100+ points players at home and several PPG+ players to bring guys like Draper and Doan. There's also no excusing bringing Regehr instead of Niedermeyer.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Too many grinders and “good ol Canadian boys”

Kris Draper
Shane Doan
Ryan Smythe
Robin Regehr

Are you kidding me?

Sub in

Crosby
Kariya
Marleau
Shanahan

Sweden went with Pahlsson and Axelsson over Nylander and Huselius and still won.

Canada, even with the players you mentioned, clearly had the strongest team on paper. They always do. The simple answer is that the strongest team on paper isn't always going to win.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They scored 14 goals in 6 games. Lack of offence is the reason they did not do good.

They left 2 100+ points players at home and several PPG+ players to bring guys like Draper and Doan. There's also no excusing bringing Regehr instead of Niedermeyer.

Niedermayer had to pull out due to hurting his knee. They didn't just leave him at home.

Sweden went with Pahlsson and Axelsson over Nylander and Huselius and still won.

Canada, even with the players you mentioned, clearly had the strongest team on paper. They always do. The simple answer is that the strongest team on paper isn't always going to win.

You'd think from the way that people talk that the Canadian team was a bunch of bums. As you said, it was still the strongest roster on paper. Even the much maligned Draper pick wasn't nearly as bad as people say given how Draper played at the 2004 World Cup. Sometimes talented players aren't a good fit for international hockey and sometimes a team just doesn't come together well. This shouldn't be some big mystery.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Sweden had an easy path to finals. No big wins in preliminary round but still lucky to get Swiss in QF.

potatochip

Jan 10, 2019
If I recall, alot of the players were friends with management. Rather than a transition a youth movement playing with veterans, the stuck with old grinders. I will never forget the pressor when it was asked why Crosby was not on the team. Answer was "he has plenty of opportunities to represent Canada in the future" which pissed me off. Meanwhile, Ovi was lighting it up on team Russia as a rookie.

In the end, the old veterans on that Olympic team just could not develop chemistry. Not sure if the 05 lockout had something to do with it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Niedermayer had to pull out due to hurting his knee. They didn't just leave him at home.

You'd think from the way that people talk that the Canadian team was a bunch of bums. As you said, it was still the strongest roster on paper. Even the much maligned Draper pick wasn't nearly as bad as people say given how Draper played at the 2004 World Cup. Sometimes talented players aren't a good fit for international hockey and sometimes a team just doesn't come together well. This shouldn't be some big mystery.

Then Blake, Phaneuf, Boucher, Stuart...

So Crosby, Marleau and Staal are not a good fit for international hockey? All 3 were key players in 2010 and Marleau/Crosby were key in 2014.

You don't need any defensive only players when you have Brodeur in net.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Then Blake, Phaneuf, Boucher, Stuart...

So Crosby, Marleau and Staal are not a good fit for international hockey? All 3 were key players in 2010 and Marleau/Crosby were key in 2014.

You don't need any defensive only players when you have Brodeur in net.

I don't know what you're talking about. I only quoted you because you twice posted as if Canada didn't select Niedermayer in 2006.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What was the reason Canada failed at 2006 Olympics?

Roster selection mistakes? Bad coaching? Absence of Niedermeyer & Crosby? Wrong goalie starting? Or just a bad luck?

Why did Canada fail in 2006 Olympics? What was the rehind that failure?
look at the roster.

Todd Bertuzzi over Crosby.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

it was a roster made for NHL sized ice, not olympic

Reactions: Flair Hay

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I do recall this narrative that team canada was too loyal to the players who got the job done in salt lake city, although I have to do a deeper dive into the 02 and 06 rosters to see the level of truth behind this.

potatochip

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah but that those games didn't matter.

But it certainly was a sign that this team was not meshing well.

02 team and 10 team had chemistry from the top down.

Meanwhile, the Sakic Iginla Gagne line just stank. So much controversy selecting Bertuzzi and the negative cloud that surrounded him at the time, and really didn't have to be picked.....meanwhile, Crosby was just twiddling his thumbs.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The management team f***ed up and didn't pick the best possible team for the big ice. Had the tournament been played on NHL arenas Canada would have done much better.

Some of the decision were laughable no matter how you look at it. They left a lot of great players out only to pick sandpaper.

The team needed truculence!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad