Who's on your HoF ballot?

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Odd that I'm now hoping the Veteran's Committee do these players justice and elect them to the HoF. There are a good number of players who will be passed over for practically no reason even those who had no known ties to PEDs. The fact that Piazza has had to wait this long is absurd.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
There are 13 players I think should get in, I would vote for this year:

Bonds
Clemens
Piazza
Trammell
Raines
Griffey
Bagwell
Schilling
Griffey
Edmonds

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
There are 13 players I think should get in, I would vote for this year:

Bonds
Clemens
Piazza
Trammell
Raines
Griffey
Bagwell
Schilling
Griffey
Edmonds

I don't think Edmonds or Raines are better players. For myself, Raines deserves to be in the HOF but Edmonds is a closer call. I would give Walker the edge over both. Walker missed a tonne of time to injury.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i really wish we'd stop acting like a guy missing time due to injury means anything w/r/t his hall of fame candidacy. everyone did that with dawson and look where that got us.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
i really wish we'd stop acting like a guy missing time due to injury means anything w/r/t his hall of fame candidacy. everyone did that with dawson and look where that got us.

Andre Dawson missed nowhere near the amount of time that Walker did. Also Dawson played 2600 games. He was a compiler, like the Dave Andreychuk of baseball. He also compiled a grand total of 64.5 WAR in those 2600 games.

Walker on the other hand compiled a total of 72.6 WAR in less than 2000 games. He only played more than 150 games once in his career and over 140 games 4 times in his career.

I don't buy the idea that he would have produced a substantially lower career WAR if he had not played in Colorado like some have claimed in the past. In Montreal for his first five full seasons he produced:

133 games - 3.4 WAR
137 games - 3.4 WAR
143 games - 5.4 WAR
138 games - 4.4 WAR
103 games - 4.7 WAR

His career BA - .313, OBP - .400, SLG - .565, OPS - .965 blow Dawson out of the park.

When looking at average WAR of 73.2, WAR7 of 43, JAWS of 58.1 for the 24 right fielders to make the Hall of Fame Walker compares favorably at 72.6, 44.6 and 58.1. Notable Hall of Famers who put up a lower career WAR than Walker and in almost all cases, accomplished this in a substantially larger number of games, include Paul Waner, Sam Crawford, Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield, Enos Slaughter, Willie Keeler, Sam Rice and Harry Hooper.

Walker deserves to be in the hall. It's a travesty that since he became eligible the percentage of the writers who have voted for him has declined from 20% to 11%.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Eh...Griffey gets in for sure. Beyond that there's no locks. Griffey won't beat unanimous because nobody ever is. The system is broke and that will prevent many guys from ever getting there.

Clemens and Bonds won't come close.

Schilling is such an ass of a person it will take awhile.

Piazza should get in.

Beyond that I wouldn't be shocked if none of the rest got in.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Players who probably deserve 100% of the vote don't get it for multiple idiotic reasons.

Either because of the vote limit they leave a guy off who is sure to get in so they can use that vote for someone else or idiot voters who refuse to vote for anyone on the first ballot, leave ballots blank for protest or whatever other stupid reason, refuse to vote anyone who played in the steroid era, etc.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Hall_of_Fame_Voting_Percentages

Agreed. That's why shortly after Jeter announced his retirement, the Baseball Hall of Fame made the voter's names public. They're concerned that he won't get 100% and it will be a big deal. It is silly that the 4 modern players at the top I bolded got a higher percentage than Hank Aaron, Rickey Henderson, and Willie Mays. I don't like it, but until the names and their ballots are made public, that's how it will be.

I don't understand why they have to make a stink for Jeter though. I mean you could argue he may be the luckiest guy in sports history. He did not have power and if he played on any other organization he doesn't have those postseason numbers attached to his name. He'd just be a guy who had a lot of hits but wasn't really relevant. I also wonder how many of his hits were due to the big name protection the Yankees could afford? Like later in Hus career guys like A-Rod and TeX. Pitchers would rather face Jeter because they knew he wouldn't likely take them yard.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Jeter is a Hall of Famer for sure and he's sure to get in on the first ballot, but I hate that this narrative is being pushed that it's some travesty if he doesn't get 100% of the vote.

There there are soooo many guys already in the hall that were better than him and didn't get 100% of the vote. Maddux in 2014, Johnson/Pedro last year and Griffey this year are just a few recent examples.

It really doesn't matter in the end anyway a 75% of the vote player is just as much a HoFer as a 100% the writers just want to be push a "ZOMG JETER 1ST/ONLY PLAYER TO GET 100%!!11!1" narrative.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Griffey Jr
Hoffman
Piazza
Bagwell
Kent
Smith
Bonds
Clemens
Grudzielanek (Because I have
Winn To be that guy)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Jeter is a Hall of Famer for sure and he's sure to get in on the first ballot, but I hate that this narrative is being pushed that it's some travesty if he doesn't get 100% of the vote.

There there are soooo many guys already in the hall that were better than him and didn't get 100% of the vote. Maddux in 2014, Johnson/Pedro last year and Griffey this year are just a few recent examples.

It really doesn't matter in the end anyway a 75% of the vote player is just as much a HoFer as a 100% the writers just want to be push a "ZOMG JETER 1ST/ONLY PLAYER TO GET 100%!!11!1" narrative.

Baseball seems to be the only sport where we hear voting results. I don't think being unanimous is common for obvious reasons but it also seems like I can't recall the last athlete in sports to be unanimous in their sport. In football you only hear about the guys who get in and IRA very strict. Its usually like 2 players, a coach/front office personnel and maybe a broadcaster or a player from the non modern era. I think that its almost crazy to have unanimous because there's so many players to choose from that are new or have been on the ballot and people will always disagree about should someone go in right away or does a person who is deserving and been waiting deserve to go in based on seniority. Then you have the issue of time. You can only be on a ballot for so long. I think baseball is the only sport they don't have a cap on how many can get in a year but they probably get the least in a year because of how tough the voting system is.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm for a smaller Hall of Fame, but the "Rule of 10" is soooooooo dumb. Also dumb is that a player could only be on the ballot for 10 years now. There are so many guys that have a good argument, but voters can only vote for ten. And of course, there will be some troll who votes for Randy Winn, and another one that leaves Ken Griffey Jr. off the ballot. Here's who I'd vote for:

Bonds
Clemens
Griffey Jr.
Mussina
Schilling
Bagwell
Walker
Trammell
Raines
Piazza

-I voted for the top nine on the ballot in bWAR and Piazza (who is 14th). I didn't vote for Edgar (10th in bWAR on the ballot), McGwire (11th), Sheffield (12th) and Edmonds (13th).
-I wish I could say that Schilling isn't a HoFer because he's an idiot, but he unfortunately had a HoF career while playing.
-I don't care about steriod or other PED use. It still takes still to play baseball.
-Unless your name is Mariano Rivera (or you started a hell of a lot of games), I would never vote for a closer.
-Counting stats like wins, saves, RBI and runs scored mean nothing to me.
-If we were allowed to vote for as many players as we wanted, I would vote for the top 16 in bWAR.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Doug Jones and Carney Lansford need to be inducted!!

8705-482387Fr.jpg
8705-482122Fr.jpg

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the fact that guys like bruce sutter and lee smith are in the HOF is ridiculous

if you're inducting those guys then billy wagner better get in because he's far more deserving than the two i mentioned. so is john franco and he's not getting in. at this rate i can't wait to see k-rod, joe nathan, and francisco cordero inducted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad