Speculation: Who's left and where will they sign?

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Good to see GM's seem to see Russell for what he is and won't give him a ridiculous contract. *Watch someone give him a ridiculous contract

I found it hilarious on TSN's hype show at the trade deadline when they were fawning all over him and were about one or two words short of calling him a star. Hamhuis is twice the defenseman Russell will ever be.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Russel for 5 years at 3.5 is better then emelin for two years at 4.1

Russel can help the transition between markov and sergachaev next year too. Emelin is slower then a replay

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Matt Carle - Toronto
Justin Schultz - NJ
Kris Russell - Boston
James Wisniewski - Edmonton
Shane Doan - Arizona
Radim Vrbata - TC invite/retire
Sam Gagner - Toronto
Kris Versteeg - Anaheim
Jiri Hudler - St. Louis
Nick Spaling - NYR
Dominic Moore - TC invite/retire
Cody Hodgson - TC invite/Europe
Brandon Pirri - TC invite/Europe
Matt Cullen - Pittsburgh
Luke Schenn - Edmonton

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Mirtle just retweeted someone saying the Leafs Russell offer was false, simply rumors. Faith regained in the Shanagement.

Matt Carle - Toronto
Sam Gagner - Toronto

:laugh: Nope, thanks for trying. Clearly thought of the Leafs needs before saying these..

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Mirtle just retweeted someone saying the Leafs Russell offer was false, simply rumors. Faith regained in the Shanagement.

:laugh: Nope, thanks for trying. Clearly thought of the Leafs needs before saying these..

If you guys just offered Kris Russell $40 million dollars, Matt Carle's not a bad fall back. And Snowpants is from Toronto.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

He really isn't a random blogger. He is with csn Boston

theres quite a few random bloggers that have comparable track records for reporting to some of these guys employed by news agencies.

i dont blame anyone for it... its all about trying to get clicks and earn a buck. but when you report something that didnt happen... no one can ever prove you wrong.

id like to see these 'insiders' get a few more things correct before i give them more credit.

i mean im a bruin fan (not an insider) and i know bruins traditionally like players like david backes... you can go back to my posting history and see at least 10 times where i said boston should get backes. im no genius though because i didnt make a single post about riley nash.

and even though i said a few times i wish we had anton khubodin back i never went so far as to suggest it.

usually around 10% of the guys i post about end up becoming bruins because i know the teams needs... i know their bias... i can see who might be available.

im no insider but i pay attention to reality.

reality is that toronto front office doesnt leak their business to boston reporters. if a source did leak this number you can bet it was the russell camp.

if it was the russell camp you have to wonder about it. toronto wont be happy.

do we see cody franson 2.0 happening here?

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Would like to see the Flames bring Hudler back if he becomes desperate enough for a short term deal. If not Pirri, Vrbata, Versteeg work as well at 1-2 years under 3mAAV.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk/Shinkaruk - Bennett - Frolik
Ferland - Backlund - Hudler
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson
F Hamilton/Hathaway, Bollig

Last edited:

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Justin Schultz could be a great fit for the Rangers. 1 year 2.5M. Rangers fans will hate me but I wouldn't even mind Russell if the deal is not stupid. We urgently need dynamism in the backend and I don't see Paliotta, Holden or Clendening as solid solutions. James Wisniewski is another option if he has recovered from his injury.
This is my wishlist of remaining free agents:

Justin Schultz
Kris Russell
James Wisniewski
Shane Doan (if available)
Radim Vrbata
Sam Gagner
Kris Versteeg
Jiri Hudler
Nick Spaling
Dominic Moore
Cody Hodgson
Justin Fontaine
Josh Jooris
Brandon Pirri
Bill Arnold
Matt Cullen

I could see the Oilers having interest in Kris Russell.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty much. All he does is block shots and he does that because he never has the damn puck. He certainly doesn't add any size to your blueline either.

Toronto dodged a bullet with him turning down that horrible offer. I don't think it would be a good idea for NYR either (you're a Rangers fan right?), not unless they're able to move Staal and/or Girardi.

He's actually pretty decent at moving the puck. People often think poor possession players are that because they can't move the puck, but it's just as likely that they can, but they're poor defensively.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not that it matters, but Russel's agent says there is no truth to the rumor that Russel turned down an offer from the Leafs.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Schultz might join his buddy Hall in NJ.

If Schultz gets anything more than $1m with the team having intention of using him for anything more that the Pens did last year (12-13 minutes per game, with 2-3 minutes of that in the PP)... have fun.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Schultz gets anything more than $1m with the team having intention of using him for anything more that the Pens did last year (12-13 minutes per game, with 2-3 minutes of that in the PP)... have fun.

Minutes arent an issue with Schultz.. He just needs to be on the bottom pairing.. Schultz can play 18 mins as long as he is not doing the heavy lifting

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
If you guys just offered Kris Russell $40 million dollars, Matt Carle's not a bad fall back. And Snowpants is from Toronto.

1. No one has said we offered Russell $40 mil. And Mirtle, someone who is much more reputable at least for Toronto news, said the 17M offer was just rumors and not actually true. Hey look, someone just said Russell's AGENT said the offer didn't happen.

2. Carle was garbage this season, and why on earth would the Leafs need another offensive LHD if he even was half decent?

3. Like a quarter of the NHL is from the GTA, not sure why that would matter. We have too many potential forwards as it is, and even if we were looking for another it definitely wouldn't be seeking a soft playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00