Speculation: Who's left and where will they sign?

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
While most, if not all of the big fish were signed on the first day of free agency, there are quite a few interesting names still out there, waiting to be signed. Names such as Shane Doan, Kris Russell, Justin Schultz and Jiri Hudler are still on the board after the end of the second day. Who are some other interesting free agents left unsigned, and where do you think they will sign?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Spaling is really, really underrated as a fourth liner. He's not truly exceptional at anything, but he's got decent wheels and is an excellent penalty killer.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Is there any chance guys like Doan and Elias sign with other teams or are they just waiting it out for a bit?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am surprised Hudler hasn't signed yet. Maybe he goes back to Calgary

member 157595

Kris Russell apparently turned down a 4yr/$17M deal from Toronto and that the Bruins are in on him.

retweeted by Mirtle

We offered that traffic cone FOUR YEARS and 17M? I'm going to throw up. That's a Nonis move. I'm so disappointed if we actually did offer that. :(

Thank god he turned that down. That's the kind of bullet we dodged with the Bolland contract.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I hope the habs can land Hudler. We need an offensive forward like him. Don't know what he's asking for though...

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Spaling is really, really underrated as a fourth liner. He's not truly exceptional at anything, but he's got decent wheels and is an excellent penalty killer.

You can drop both the "really". He doesn't score, posses the puck well, or play very physical.

I refer to the Spalings of the league as safe players. They wont save you or sink you.

This is exactly it. Spaling won't really help or hurt your team. So if you have a fourth line player that actively hurts your team, spaling is your man to help with that.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
Justin Schultz could be a great fit for the Rangers. 1 year 2.5M. Rangers fans will hate me but I wouldn't even mind Russell if the deal is not stupid. We urgently need dynamism in the backend and I don't see Paliotta, Holden or Clendening as solid solutions. James Wisniewski is another option if he has recovered from his injury.
This is my wishlist of remaining free agents:

Justin Schultz
Kris Russell
James Wisniewski
Shane Doan (if available)
Radim Vrbata
Sam Gagner
Kris Versteeg
Jiri Hudler
Nick Spaling
Dominic Moore
Cody Hodgson
Justin Fontaine
Josh Jooris
Brandon Pirri
Bill Arnold
Matt Cullen

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Wouldn't mind a LW on the cheap to compete for an offensive role on the Hawks. Hawks fans might kill me but wouldn't be opposed to signing Pirri for 1 year with the purpose to try him as 1LW.

He came up as a center and was overwhelmed. Moved to wing in FLO and showed he can at least score at the NHL level, something we will need next season (who doesn't).

He's probably on Q's blacklist though and maybe Bowman's too...

Also, getting Wiz back would be nice, always liked him. He's probably too expensive but would really help our PP I think. He might be disliked by some of the Hawks veterans though, if I remember correctly...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Justin Schultz could be a great fit for the Rangers. 1 year 2.5M. Rangers fans will hate me but I wouldn't even mind Russell if the deal is not stupid. We urgently need dynamism in the backend and I don't see Paliotta, Holden or Clendening as solid solutions. James Wisniewski is another option if he has recovered from his injury.

Justin Schultz
Kris Russell
James Wisniewski
Radim Vrbata
Sam Gagner
Kris Versteeg
Jiri Hudler
Nick Spaling
Dominic Moore
Cody Hodgson
Justin Fontaine
Josh Jooris
Brandon Pirri
Bill Arnold
Matt Cullen

Out of this list versteeg will be a good deal . I like spaling on a 4th line

Vrbata and hudler could bounce back
Some should be out of he league

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

Justin Schultz
Kris Russell
James Wisniewski
Radim Vrbata
Sam Gagner
Kris Versteeg
Jiri Hudler
Nick Spaling
Dominic Moore
Cody Hodgson
Justin Fontaine
Josh Jooris
Brandon Pirri
Bill Arnold
Matt Cullen

$2.5 is way too much for Schultz. Also doesn't make sense unless they are able to trade one of Staal or Girardi.

member 157595

Dude is Dan girardi version 2

Pretty much. All he does is block shots and he does that because he never has the damn puck. He certainly doesn't add any size to your blueline either.

Toronto dodged a bullet with him turning down that horrible offer. I don't think it would be a good idea for NYR either (you're a Rangers fan right?), not unless they're able to move Staal and/or Girardi.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Hoping Russell gets a deal done with the habs tbh

Not for me, I hope Bergevin stays far away. We will need a quality LD soon (unless Beaulieu manages to develop properly with Weber), but I don't consider Russel 'quality', more overrated than anything.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I refer to the Spalings of the league as safe players. They wont save you or sink you.

Chris Porter is similar. Fast, somewhat physical, knows how to check and play without the puck. Limited offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad