Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Stamkos by a large margin, Tavares will never score 50 goals.... Book it

way to open up a thread that is over 2 years old. Thats a great opinion by the way, in my opinion Tavares is better than anything the leafs have had in their organization in over 20 years. This thread really isn't fair to Tavares at this point, JT has only had 1 year to prove himself with no elite wingers around him like St. Louis. Ask again in 5 years.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Stamkos is sick, and I would take him over Johnny T., but Tavares has some of the best hands in the league. Once he puts it all together, watch out.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Tough call. Stamkos has already exceeded expectations and is now in the inner core of the elite players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom and the Sedins.

Tavares has had less time to prove himself and far less talent to play with. I still believe he's going to rise to the top, and whether that takes him above or below Stamkos is yet to be seen. It'll be close though.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
way to open up a thread that is over 2 years old. Thats a great opinion by the way, in my opinion Tavares is better than anything the leafs have had in their organization in over 20 years. This thread really isn't fair to Tavares at this point, JT has only had 1 year to prove himself with no elite wingers around him like St. Louis. Ask again in 5 years.

What does this have to do with the Leafs? Off topic much....

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I can see Tavares scoring 50 this year or next without having great linemates like Stamkos.

I'd take Tavares in a keeper league but ONLY because his cap hit is lower than Stamkos' for next year and the same for this one. You'd save at least $2 M next year with Tavares.

Now if only Matt Duchene could improve his shooting.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I can see Tavares scoring 50 this year or next without having great linemates like Stamkos.

I'd take Tavares in a keeper league but ONLY because his cap hit is lower than Stamkos' for next year and the same for this one. You'd save at least $2 M next year with Tavares.

Now if only Matt Duchene could improve his shooting.

I wouldn't put money on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. The kid looks really good so far, especially on the PP.

He's going to get 80 points, at least, this year. As long as NYI gets powerplayshe's going to be racking up the points.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Who was more hyped, Stamkos or Tavares?

Curious, during their days in minor hockey and their OHL career who was the more hyped? A year before their draft years.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Tavares ainec. Tavares was in stamkos' birth year and was regularly considered the best 90 dob in the world. He was the one playing a year up growing up as well as being granted special exemption into the ohl at 15, scoring 72g and 134pts at 16 etc. Stamkos was always regarded as an amazing prospect but tavares was seen as crosby good growing up.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
The OHL introduced the "exceptional player" rule just so Tavares could be drafted to the OHL at 14 years old. I'd say he was definitely the most hyped over his 4 years in the OHL.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Tavares.

He was hyped as the goal scorer while people were saying that Stamkos was going to be the complete player. People were even debating if Tavares would've been eligible to go in Stamkos' draft year that Tavares might go first.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I don't follow juniors that closely, being in Philly. I heard Tavares mentioned as the surefire top pick 2 years before he was drafted. I only remember hearing about Stamkos the same year.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
In terms of hype...Tavares>Hall>Yakupov>Stamkos>Nugent-Hopkins

Though Hopkins might end up the best player.

Bold.

Stamkos 2 time Rocket Richard winner, a 60 goal season and the league leading goal scorer by a mile over the past 3 seasons.

Tavares, exceptional junior player, ridiculous potential, PPG season, still improving

And RNH is going to end up the best?

As to hype Tavares AINEC

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tavares hype started when he was 14 years old. The hype between the two are not close, the numbers they put up in the OHL weren't even comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad