Who's better: Matt Carle or Shea Weber?

Transported Upstater

RaTcine said:
Who do you think is the better defenseman?
Who will put up more points next year?
Who do you think is the better defensive player?

Good god, Carle is not in Weber's league.

Last edited by a moderator:

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
Carle overall, Weber defensively, Carle offensively.

Carle will be better than Weber in the long run, and he's better right now, in my opinion.

Transported Upstater

superroyain10 said:
Why do you say that? Have you seen either of them play in juniors/college?

Just an opinion. I'm not as high on Carle as some are, and I'm a big Weber fan.

Pure Rock Fury*

TransportedUpstater said:
Just an opinion. I'm not as high on Carle as some are, and I'm a big Weber fan.
So basically an opinion based only on fanboyism since you've never seen Carle play?

The Fuhr*

Weber and its not even close.

At this stage of there career Weber already has game-breaking ability with his hits. Weber also has a really solid point shot. I see the future as follows:
Weber 10 goals 30-40 points
Carle 10 goals 40-50 points

The differencewill be Webers dominating defensive game as well as his game changing hitting ability. Weber for me.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
Fuhr86 said:

At this stage of there career Weber already has game-breaking ability with his hits. Weber also has a really solid point shot. I see the future as follows:

The differencewill be Webers dominating defensive game as well as his game changing hitting ability. Weber for me.

No...

Carle has much more offensive ability than that. He will be one of the best offensive defensemen int he game. 40-50 points is selling him pretty short.

Transported Upstater

Patrick Bateman said:
So basically an opinion based only on fanboyism since you've never seen Carle play?

Okay, that was tremendously uncalled for.

Never did I state how much or how little I had seen either prospect, but you took the low road and assumed I was a moron. Excellent.

I've seen Carle play many times at the NCAA level, as a matter of fact. And I voted for him to win the Hobey Baker. Easily the best player in the country this past year. Far more well-rounded of a player than I expected. I always knew he had offensive ability, but his defensive ability has picked up considerably.

I've liked Weber since the 2005 WJC, and he thoroughly impressed me this year in Milwaukee. What impressed me most is how he has played at the professional level so far. I like how he adds the physical element without getting in excessive penalty trouble, and how he has better offensive upside than previously thought. I feel he is a better pro prospect than Carle.

That enough? Or do you want a ****ing essay?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
LOL, have to like people who make judgements based on hype...

On the topic, Weber and Carle are slightly different players. While Carle is good defensively, he plays to his strengths: offense. Weber, on the other hand, is very good at both facets of the game, and although he is known for excelling defensively, he has a lot of offensive potential that will eventually (if it hasn't already) mature. Weber's size and strength allows him to do be a big bruiser defensively, something the relatively small Carle cannot do. While this would seem to give Weber an advantage over Carle, Carle is extremely talented offensively; significantly better than Weber in that regard. Considering the rarity of offensively talented defensemen to defensively talented ones, no matter how good, Carle gets the advantage. Add in Carle's ability to dominate a game and his affinity for picking up tricks, I'd give the nod to Carle.

There is one factor that might give Weber the edge. There is little pressure on him to succeed right now, and he will have many excellent tutors including Kimmonen and Zidilicky. On the other hand, Carle is being thrown to the proverbial wolves, and there is no one to teach him the ropes offensively (maybe Preissing). I think Carle is a such a talent that he will bypass that hurdle, but we'll see.

The Fuhr*

NashisCash said:
No...

Carle has much more offensive ability than that. He will be one of the best offensive defensemen int he game. 40-50 points is selling him pretty short.

I see carle as the same type of D-man as Tom Preissing but better defensivly. Preissing offensive game is topped out at 50 points I would say, I could be wrong as he had 42 points this season but its what I think. I really dont think Carle has more offensive upside then Preissing.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Fuhr86 said:

Thank You, Very Well Said :bow:

Weber's offensive game is very underratted, he was a great PP QB back with Kelowna in the WHL. And will get near to as many points as Carle, and About the same amount of goals, maybe even more. He has a wonderful shot.

Transported Upstater

superroyain10 said:
LOL, have to like people who make judgements based on hype...

On the topic, Weber and Carle are slightly different players. While Carle is good defensively, he plays to his strengths: offense. Weber, on the other hand, is very good at both facets of the game, and although he is known for excelling defensively, he has a lot of offensive potential that will eventually (if it hasn't already) mature. Weber's size and strength allows him to do be a big bruiser defensively, something the relatively small Carle cannot do. While this would seem to give Weber an advantage over Carle, Carle is extremely talented offensively; significantly better than Weber in that regard. Considering the rarity of offensively talented defensemen to defensively talented ones, no matter how good, Carle gets the advantage. Add in Carle's ability to dominate a game and his affinity for picking up tricks, I'd give the nod to Carle.

There is one factor that might give Weber the edge. There is little pressure on him to succeed right now, and he will have many excellent tutors including Kimmonen and Zidilicky. On the other hand, Carle is being thrown to the proverbial wolves, and there is no one to teach him the ropes offensively (maybe Preissing). I think Carle is a such a talent that he will bypass that hurdle, but we'll see.

I think Carle and Weber are much different players, personally.

Carle, to me, seems like the "cerebral" type defenseman; he'll stop you defensively by using positioning and smarts. Weber will use positioning and smarts, and then separate you from the puck physically but intelligently.

Weber has a tremendous shot, but his offensive acumen, as good as it is, is not at Carle's level. Carle is a natural with the puck.

At this point, Weber's defensive game is more developed, and Carle's offensive game is more developed.

Pure Rock Fury*

Okay, that was tremendously uncalled for.

Never did I state how much or how little I had seen either prospect, but you took the low road and assumed I was a moron. Excellent.

I've seen Carle play many times at the NCAA level, as a matter of fact. And I voted for him to win the Hobey Baker. Easily the best player in the country this past year. Far more well-rounded of a player than I expected. I always knew he had offensive ability, but his defensive ability has picked up considerably.

I've liked Weber since the 2005 WJC, and he thoroughly impressed me this year in Milwaukee. What impressed me most is how he has played at the professional level so far. I like how he adds the physical element without getting in excessive penalty trouble, and how he has better offensive upside than previously thought. I feel he is a better pro prospect than Carle.

That enough? Or do you want a ****ing essay?
Wow no need to get all pissy.

Some people take message boards a little too seriously.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think Carle and Weber are much different players, personally.

Carle, to me, seems like the "cerebral" type defenseman; he'll stop you defensively by using positioning and smarts. Weber will use positioning and smarts, and then separate you from the puck physically but intelligently.

Weber has a tremendous shot, but his offensive acumen, as good as it is, is not at Carle's level. Carle is a natural with the puck.

At this point, Weber's defensive game is more developed, and Carle's offensive game is more developed.

I agree with you completely, but then why do you say Carle is not in Weber's league? Though I can see why one would take Weber over Carle (believing his physical abilities will overcome the difference in their offensive potentials).

Transported Upstater

Patrick Bateman said:
Wow no need to get all pissy.

Some people take message boards a little too seriously.

When you have no life, hopes or dreams (me), that's what happens.

Transported Upstater

superroyain10 said:
I agree with you completely, but then why do you say Carle is not in Weber's league? Though I can see why one would take Weber over Carle (believing his physical abilities will overcome the difference in their offensive potentials).

I feel Weber is a step above Carle right now. I may or may not be right. And I don't know if he'll stay that way.

However, I like Carle, and would love to see him be a #1 for the Sharks some day.

Carle and Weber, IMO, actually compliment each other beautifully, now that I think about it...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I feel Weber is a step above Carle right now. I may or may not be right. And I don't know if he'll stay that way.

However, I like Carle, and would love to see him be a #1 for the Sharks some day.

Carle and Weber, IMO, actually compliment each other beautifully, now that I think about it...

Thanks to the CBA, only 7 more years untill they have a chance to play on the same team!!!!!! :sarcasm: :)

Transported Upstater

superroyain10 said:
Thanks to the CBA, only 7 more years untill they have a chance to play on the same team!!!!!! :sarcasm: :)

That would be incredible.

Year of the Shark!!!

Oct 25, 2005
Fuhr86 said:
I see carle as the same type of D-man as Tom Preissing but better defensivly. Preissing offensive game is topped out at 50 points I would say, I could be wrong as he had 42 points this season but its what I think. I really dont think Carle has more offensive upside then Preissing.

I completely disagree. Carle is groomed to be the #1 pp qb for the sharks and will, most likely be on the first pp unit next season alongside Ehrhoff. He had like three goals in his first 10 games of the season.

I think he will end up being a 20 goal 55+ point d-man.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Year of the Shark!!! said:
I completely disagree. Carle is groomed to be the #1 pp qb for the sharks and will, most likely be on the first pp unit next season alongside Ehrhoff. He had like three goals in his first 10 games of the season.

I think he will end up being a 20 goal 55+ point d-man.

I'd actually bet on Carle to get something like 10-15 goals and 50-70 assists in his prime.

The Fuhr*

superroyain10 said:
I'd actually bet on Carle to get something like 10-15 goals and 50-70 assists in his prime.

Thats Lidstrom like offense. Carle will be good but I dont see the Lidstrom numbers comming from him. Carle will not be one of the best offensive defensemen to ever play the game.

The Fuhr*

Preissing Final season in the NCAA 42GP 23G 52PTS
Carle final season in the NCAA 39GP 11G 53PTS

I dont see Carle as having that much more offensive upside then Preissing.

Edit: Nevermind Carle is 3 years younger while producing thos numbers. Thats pretty impressive. Perhaps he will be a 60 point defenseman in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad