Who's better: Matt Carle or Shea Weber?

SarahCrash

Dec 17, 2005
St. Albert, AB
I'm a Sharks fan, though I see hints of future greatness in Weber's game. he plays the way a defensive d-man should play... he's much like Adam Foote in his first few seasons...

Carle in his own right has a niche that works well on the sharks squad where, without him something is missing... he's probably the sharks best pincher and holds the blueline better than anyone else on the team... i still think Hannan is a much smoother skater, though.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
right NOW i'd take Weber, 2-3 years down the line I think Carle will be better than Weber simply because he has a lot more offensive upside and his defensive game should improve dramatically.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Fuhr86 said:
Preissing Final season in the NCAA 42GP 23G 52PTS
Carle final season in the NCAA 39GP 11G 53PTS

I dont see Carle as having that much more offensive upside then Preissing.

Edit: Nevermind Carle is 3 years younger while producing thos numbers. Thats pretty impressive. Perhaps he will be a 60 point defenseman in the NHL.

Stats never tell the whole picture. :)

And for most of the season, Carle led the entire LEAGUE in points.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I guess it depends on what a team is looking for. Weber is a rock defensively and has a nice point shot while Carle takes a more cerebral approach and is more offensively oriented. From a purely defensive standpoint Weber is superior, but Carle is more of an asset in the transition game and while on the PP.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Weber and its not even close.

This topic drew my ire back then... I am a HUGE Weber fan, but statements like that (there were some other posters pointing out that Carle isn´t in Weber´s league) just.... agggh... ya know?

Does anyone in here wanna reconsider there "it´s not even close"-stance?

And please only answer if you have watched Carle play this season. Because if you haven´t I know exactly what´s gonna come my way:

"Carle is only looking good because he is on a great PP and is getting his points handed to him"... Blah ;)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Ill agree that Weber is a rock defensively, but Carle is one of the smartest prospects out there and makes defensive players look absolutely silly whilei in the offensive zone

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
This topic drew my ire back then... I am a HUGE Weber fan, but statements like that (there were some other posters pointing out that Carle isn´t in Weber´s league) just.... agggh... ya know?

Does anyone in here wanna reconsider there "it´s not even close"-stance?

And please only answer if you have watched Carle play this season. Because if you haven´t I know exactly what´s gonna come my way:

"Carle is only looking good because he is on a great PP and is getting his points handed to him"... Blah ;)

It was a bad comparison to start with. Both are totally different players and both are good in their own right. Depending on what your team has on the back end, one of the guys may be better suited than the other. Two very good young d-men...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I've said this a few months ago but it's akin to choosing from Niedermayer or Pronger. Not saying either Carle or Weber are at that level but each play a different style of play.

SanJoseCanadiens

Aug 16, 2006
Carle is an offensive genius, without ambiguity...and his defensive play is looking increasingly impressive...I guess from the stats alone there is always the tendency to wonder how much he has benefited from playing with capable scorers...watching his play though, there is no doubt that very few defensemen have Carle's almost sagacious offensive accumen, capable of seeing and creating the plays he does...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I've said this a few months ago but it's akin to choosing from Niedermayer or Pronger. Not saying either Carle or Weber are at that level but each play a different style of play.

i totally agree. i was about to post the same thing just with lidstrom vs. pronger. its impossible to say who is the best player because the are both dominating with completely different playing styles. personally i love both carle and weber and i find it very difficult to pick one.:dunno:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
This is a silly comparison.

Both are fantastic players and I think a lot of people underrate them both in this discussion - Carle for his defensive prowess and Weber for his offensive prowess. Both have game-breaking ability: Carle's is mental and Weber's is physical.

If I had to pick one, I would say that what Carle does well is more difficult to find, but then again, Weber is the more well-rounded player. Each player's value to a team is contextual. If you need a guy to run your transition and quarterback the power play, Carle is the guy. If you want a dominant defensive zone guy who can crack a 100 mph slap shot, you choose Weber.

Don't see much point in arguing over which great young defenseman is the greatest.

The n00b King ©*

in the end, i picked Carle in my pool annnnnnnnnnnnd im the leader of it :D

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Carle is gonna get more PP time in San Jose because they're isn't anybody else (maybe Ehrhoff) but Weber has to leap over Zidlicky, Timonen and Suter. I think Weber has a more complete game than Carle tought.

In the long term, I think I would go with Weber but Carle is not far behind.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Carle has some of the best offensive instincts I've ever seen from a defenseman, and to pair that up with very good play in his own zone is a very rare combo to find.

Weber is going to be a great defenseman, but I just think a player with Carle's skill level and style of play are just so hard to find, it makes him that much more valuable.

espo*

Two good young d-men.I'm sure everyone likes them both and would be estatic having them on their team.

If i had a gun to my head i'd take Weber because i just prefer that kind of a defenseman,But a good team needs a guy like Carle too and what he brings.

I'd pray for a Tonya Harding special if i knew i could replace a couple of our d-men with those two guys.

One question that comes to my mind is if people could pick who they would rather between Ryan Suter and Weber who would they grab now? i know a few years ago people were saying Suter was better and had more potential both at the present moment and in the future,i wonder if anythings changed seeing as how Weber is developing and showing just what he's really got? I think he was under-estimated back then. But that's another topic i know.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
For Nashville, I'd keep Weber. We already have Kimmo, Hammer, Zidlicky and Suter for the offense, with Franson waiting in the wing. We need the physically imposing hitter that Weber is.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Two good young d-men.I'm sure everyone likes them both and would be estatic having them on their team.

If i had a gun to my head i'd take Weber because i just prefer that kind of a defenseman,But a good team needs a guy like Carle too and what he brings.

I'd pray for a Tonya Harding special if i knew i could replace a couple of our d-men with those two guys.

One question that comes to my mind is if people could pick who they would rather between Ryan Suter and Weber who would they grab now? i know a few years ago people were saying Suter was better and had more potential both at the present moment and in the future,i wonder if anythings changed seeing as how Weber is developing and showing just what he's really got? I think he was under-estimated back then. But that's another topic i know.
Suter is starting to come on now. He didn't have a fast start like Weber but he's gaining ground now. He's more cerebal like Hamhuis than physical like Weber, but he's got great hands and seems to read the play well. He leveled Laraque in a one on one last week.

espo*

Suter is starting to come on now. He didn't have a fast start like Weber but he's gaining ground now. He's more cerebal like Hamhuis than physical like Weber, but he's got great hands and seems to read the play well. He leveled Laraque in a one on one last week.

I've been wanting to see him play this year but they are'nt on t.v much up here.Have to wait until TSN or CBC has them on their schedule.

Suter's got the tools.I wonder if he'll ever sperate himself and establish himself as a better defenseman then Weber though? It was him that was supposed to have the faster start and impact then Weber a couple of years back but that has'nt happened so i think Weber has to be given some props myself. But both are still younglings in their nhl career so we'll see how it works out.

He levelled big George? lol.......that's not easy to do!!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I've been wanting to see him play this year but they are'nt on t.v much up here.Have to wait until TSN or CBC has them on their schedule.

Suter's got the tools.I wonder if he'll ever sperate himself and establish himself as a better defenseman then Weber though? It was him that was supposed to have the faster start and impact then Weber a couple of years back but that has'nt happened so i think Weber has to be given some props myself. But both are still younglings in their nhl career so we'll see how it works out.

He levelled big George? lol.......that's not easy to do!!
Don't get me wrong, Weber (he leveled big Mike Rupp last night twice) is still better but Suter has closed the gap both will be great especially when paired with Hamhuis, Parent and Franson.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
Who do you think is the better defenseman?
Who will put up more points next year?
Who do you think is the better defensive player?

Who do you think is the better defenseman? WEBER
Who will put up more points next year? CARLE
Who do you think is the better defensive player? WEBER

Don't think we would be having this discussion 3 weeks ago, amazing what a hot start and ample PP time will do. Carle is a nice addition to any hockey pool though.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Who do you think is the better defenseman? WEBER
Who will put up more points next year? CARLE
Who do you think is the better defensive player? WEBER

Don't think we would be having this discussion 3 weeks ago, amazing what a hot start and ample PP time will do. Carle is a nice addition to any hockey pool though.

Carle is a big part of the reason the San Jose powerplay is clicking so well 5-on-4 (note that he doesn't get any 5-on-3 time because Wilson runs a formation with five forwards). He's not picking up cheap 2nd assists after somebody else makes a superstar move; the kid is a hell of a powerplay quarterback.

Also, I get the feeling that some people are assuming that since Carle is 6'0" - 195 and offensively gifted that he must not be very good in his own zone. Not true. I wouldn't put him in Weber's class defensively, but he makes very smart plays in his own end of the ice and is great at standing forwards up at the blueline and stripping the puck, which sometimes leads to offense the other way.

Niklas Lidstrom is one of the finest defensive zone players in the league almost without ever throwing a real check. Hitting has it's place in the game, but it is not necessary for a defenseman to hit to be a great player in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad