Who Would You Take With Our 1st This Year?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Are you suggesting we take Jones, or trade down if the 2nd pick is taking Jones? Because I'd be down with the latter, if it was certain.

I've only seen Jones at the WJC, personally I was very impressed with his physical toolbox, but equally concerned with some of his brutal turnovers, especially when he was under pressure. I wonder if he's not just a better version of Dion Phaneuf. Defense is largely mental and I saw too many red flags in my limited viewing for me to be comfortable taking the guy over someone like Drouin.

And personally I think Drouin has a very good chance (I would bet on it) of being a better player than any of Edmonton's 1st picks. He's through with roofs with both his playmaking and his goal scoring; and he can score goals by sniping corners, or with pure dangles. You can't get more versatile offense than that. He's got a ridiculous backhand as he showed at the WJC. He's like Giroux, but a better skater, and probably better hands too. A surefire superstar IMO, barring injury. Calgary has to get him. They can solve the center issues elsewhere. It's not even that urgent anyway since Iginla won't be here.

Iginla wasn't the only reason the Flames need to improve their centre depth. A team needs high quality centres regardless, if they have a hope to compete for anything.

TylerSVT*

I say we pick mackinnon just because we need Centers and its a spot we have never ever been strong at.

Saying that, i think Jones is the best player available, i think he is a future captain, and i really believe he will be the best defender of the last 10 years.

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
After reading some comparisons of Jonathan Druin to Claude Giroux, I'm sold.
If we can grab Druin with our top .. 5(?) pick and have a second 1st round selection through an Iginla trade(and then package that pick to move up to around the #10 mark) and take Sean Monahan with that pick. Oh boy would i be happy. :D

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If we can grab Druin with our top .. 5(?) pick and have a second 1st round selection through an Iginla trade(and then package that pick to move up to around the #10 mark) and take Sean Monahan with that pick. Oh boy would i be happy. :D

That would almost make up for all the **** we've put up with.

Baertschi - Drouin - XXXX
Gaudreau - Monahan - Jankowski
Arnold - Reinhart - Nemisz
Ferland - DeBlouw - XXXX

:nod:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
That would be nice. I would very happy

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Are you suggesting we take Jones, or trade down if the 2nd pick is taking Jones? Because I'd be down with the latter, if it was certain.
I just think the best strategy is always take best player available. That said, I don't think we have the first overall pick unless the lottery comes into play, and I think Jones may be a lock for the first pick.

So imo the best question is if the Flames have first pick somehow, do we trade down to say anywhere between 2-5 so someone else takes Jones and the Flames take a forward? Whats the value of making that trade?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

They always compare first rounders to top players not saying Drouin isn't good but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the comparisons.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I just think the best strategy is always take best player available. That said, I don't think we have the first overall pick unless the lottery comes into play, and I think Jones may be a lock for the first pick.

So imo the best question is if the Flames have first pick somehow, do we trade down to say anywhere between 2-5 so someone else takes Jones and the Flames take a forward? Whats the value of making that trade?

HUGE value if you were trading 1st overall to the 5th overall. Hypothetically, lets say Philly has the 5th, and we have the 1st.

Flyers:
Seth Jones

Flames:
5th overall (Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin).
Sean Couturier

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
HUGE value if you were trading 1st overall to the 5th overall. Hypothetically, lets say Philly has the 5th, and we have the 1st.

Flyers:
Seth Jones

Flames:
Sean Couturier
I would do that if that was a choice

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This has been a solid debate and I don't think we can do wrong drafting in the top 5 (knock on wood). Personally I think Jones is the guy. Franchise defensmen don't come around as often as#1/2 centermen

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
This has been a solid debate and I don't think we can do wrong drafting in the top 5 (knock on wood). Personally I think Jones is the guy. Franchise defensmen don't come around as often as#1/2 centermen

I would say their both hard to come by, Calgary had a franchise D man they decided to trade.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

The more I research jones, the more I'm sold on him. I've been on the Barkov train, but now, I'd be happy with either.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Flyers:
Seth Jones

Flames:
Sean Couturier

I think that is to much it would be more like Read + Akeson but I would do it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I would say their both hard to come by, Calgary had a franchise D man they decided to trade.

Yeah, that's true. But I think the Flames mishandling and poor management over the years is the exception rather than the norm

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think that is to much it would be more like Read + Akeson but I would do it.

Strongly disagree. After the top 4: Jones, Mac, Drouin, and Barkov there is a noticeable drop in terms of "elite" talent. Read + Akenson doesn't come close to filling that gap.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Strongly disagree. After the top 4: Jones, Mac, Drouin, and Barkov there is a noticeable drop in terms of "elite" talent. Read + Akenson doesn't come close to filling that gap.

Agreed 100%.

I am not trading out of the top four unless a SIGNIFICANT asset is coming alongside another top 10 pick.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

When Pitts traded up in 2003 they gave up the 3rd a 2nd and Samulson for 1st and a 3rd, Couts is to much maybe Read + 2nd + Akeson but Couts would be steep, but I would take it and run for sure.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
We could use our pick which I estimate will be in the 5-10 range to get a guy like Lindholm, or with our pick. I would even be happy if we took Zadorov with our pick and then if we got a late round first get Gauthier or Erne

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I really hope that we can snatch someone with that 1st from whoever we dealt with. Who do you guys think we get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad