Who Would You Take With Our 1st This Year?

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
With the complete embarrassment that is the Flames this year, we're destined to get a pretty good pick at this year's draft, provided Feaster doesn't drop the ball and trade our 1st.

So, your call. Who do you want the Flames to take?

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I want Mckinnon, Drouin or Barkov. It's just me but if we win the lottery, we should trade that for the 2nd overall

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I feel the Flames should take one of MacKinnon/Barkov, giving us that potential legit #1 center we have coveted for years. But man oh man, I'd hate to pass up on Jones if we had the opportunity to get him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Went with MacKinnon but any of the top centres in this draft would be acceptable. But if MacKinnon and Barkov are gone, then Jones would be a good pick too.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I voted for Barkov as I think he's the player we got the best shot at. If we happen to win the lottery however I would take MacKinnon. I think anyone who passes on him with the 1st pick will regret it down the road.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
Went with MacKinnon but any of the top centres in this draft would be acceptable. But if MacKinnon and Barkov are gone, then Jones would be a good pick too.

This is really the same way I feel. If we can get a number 1 center, we jump at it. If not, a franchise defenseman would be a solid consolation prize.

I take MacKinnon.

gdaddy21

Dec 31, 2010
What's wrong with Valeri Nichushkin, last time I checked he was rated above Mackinnon,

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
What's wrong with Valeri Nichushkin, last time I checked he was rated above Mackinnon,

For starters he's on contract for 2 more years in the KHL so teams will have to wait atleast until he's 20 and even then there's always the uncertainty factor with russians.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Depends on where we pick and who has already been chosen but my list:

Barkov
MacKinnon
Jones
Monahan
Drouin
Lindholm

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't pick Mackinnon over Barkov, Drouin has a lot to do with how Mackinnon has done.

Either or, really. Only issue with Barkov is that he's not ready to step into the NHL right away. And apparently there's the issue of mandatory military service Barkov has yet to complete.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Either or, really. Only issue with Barkov is that he's not ready to step into the NHL right away. And apparently there's the issue of mandatory military service Barkov has yet to complete.

I would rather wait a year or two for the player that I feel will be the best in the draft than settle for a good player just because he is closer to nhl ready doesn't mean better. In fact I think next year will also be a ****** season so I am fine with letting barkov take next year for his service and get another good player next year such as Nick Ritchie.

Then in 2014-2015 we bring in Barkov, Ritchie to join Sven.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wouldn't pick Mackinnon over Barkov, Drouin has a lot to do with how Mackinnon has done.

Mac was tearing up the Q at 16 without Drouin. They both benefit from playing on the same line, but they both are good enough to have success apart.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Mac was tearing up the Q at 16 without Drouin. They both benefit from playing on the same line, but they both are good enough to have success apart.

Not saying he isn't good I am saying he isn't as good as Barkov. Barkov is dominating a mens league as an 17 year old.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
If we have the 1st overall pick come draft day, we select Seth Jones. Captain, leader, physical, legit #1 D. He's the kind of player you win a championship with.

#2 is Nathan MacKinnon.

If the Flames are after the #1 C, and have the 1st overall pick, they should evaluate the team at #2 and try and work a deal.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Not saying he isn't good I am saying he isn't as good as Barkov. Barkov is dominating a mens league as an 18 year old.

I think he is 17? Or at least has been 17 most of the season.

I'm not convinced he is better. Yes he is bigger, and playing in a mens league, but Mac is the most explosive skater with high end speed. I believe both will develop into really solid players, but I'll give the edge to Mac.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he is 17? Or at least has been 17 most of the season.

I'm not convinced he is better. Yes he is bigger, and playing in a mens league, but Mac is the most explosive skater with high end speed. I believe both will develop into really solid players, but I'll give the edge to Mac.

He is 17, I mistyped.

I agree Mackinnon is faster but Barkov is far more complete player imo. Both will be good and I would never complain about getting either I just think Barkov is a better more complete player and I also think he will fit better with Sven.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
He is 17, I mistyped.

I agree Mackinnon is faster but Barkov is far more complete player imo. Both will be good and I would never complain about getting either I just think Barkov is a better more complete player and I also think he will fit better with Sven.

I would say due to the skating Mac is the better fit. I have read a lot of reports saying Barkov's skating is quite mediocre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad