Who Would You Take With Our 1st This Year?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would rather wait a year or two for the player that I feel will be the best in the draft than settle for a good player just because he is closer to nhl ready doesn't mean better. In fact I think next year will also be a ****** season so I am fine with letting barkov take next year for his service and get another good player next year such as Nick Ritchie.

Then in 2014-2015 we bring in Barkov, Ritchie to join Sven.

Fair enough.

If we have the 1st overall pick come draft day, we select Seth Jones. Captain, leader, physical, legit #1 D. He's the kind of player you win a championship with.

#2 is Nathan MacKinnon.

If the Flames are after the #1 C, and have the 1st overall pick, they should evaluate the team at #2 and try and work a deal.

I would be extremely wary of picking a defensemen first overall. Not only to they take longer on average to reach their potential, but the last few USA defensemen picked early on haven't even come close to being what the scouts thought they could be. It's possible Seth bucks the trend, but I'd rather the Flames go with a centre, especially since there are so many high quality choices available.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would say due to the skating Mac is the better fit. I have read a lot of reports saying Barkov's skating is quite mediocre.

Yes skating needs work but that can be worked on size can't be worked on. I think their skill sets are very comparable but Barkov has the size to be a dominate player.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I would kill for Drouin. I love his game.

Im fine with any of Drouin, Jones, Mackinnon, or Barkov

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I would kill for Drouin. I love his game.

Im fine with any of Drouin, Jones, Mackinnon, or Barkov

This. I love Drouin's game, and think he'll be a great player in the future, but I would also certainly pick any of Jones, MacKinnon or Barkov if they were available at our draft position.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Barkov. It has been said that Mackinnon will switch to the wing when he reaches the NHL.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Barkov. It has been said that Mackinnon will switch to the wing when he reaches the NHL.

Maybe if he went to a team stacked at C.... He is a natural winger. There are conflicting reports out there though... It would be something Feaster and company would ask at the interviews/combine.

stlflamesfan

Nov 23, 2010
I would be happy with either Drouin, Barkov, or MacKinnon. It is looking like we will at least get one of them. It was hard for me to really pick one of them, but I chose Barkov. Either way you are getting a great future player and I have a feeling Barkov is that #1 center we have been looking for.

TylerSVT*

I dont care who we take in the top 4. Any of Jones, Mac, Drouin, and Barkov would automatically become our best prospect since Dion in 2003... and how sad is that realization?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I dont care who we take in the top 4. Any of Jones, Mac, Drouin, and Barkov would automatically become our best prospect since Dion in 2003... and how sad is that realization?

Not really that sad. Calgary hasn't had anything in the top 10 for a long, long, long time. Hell, sometimes we didn't have anything into the 60's (*cough* 2010 *cough*). Also, I'd like to add, until 2011 it seemed the team philosophy in drafting was picking role players from first-seventh LOL.

Last edited:

HoshiBlitz

Jul 10, 2011
Red mile.
If it was known, 100% that Nichushkin would play over here in the next 2 years I'd be happy with any of the top 4 or Nichushkin.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As much as I fell in love with Drouin at the WJC we need centers. Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin is my top three.

I too am hesitant to go defense in the top 3. If we somehow fall out of the top 5 I want Monahan.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Drouin played center before arriving in Halifax. I doubt he would have any problems playing the position at the NHL level much like Claude Giroux.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I have a feeling we will end up picking 2nd overall this year. I see us trading away a ton of big names, and finishing just slightly ahead of Florida.

I have a feeling Florida would select Nate with their 1st overall selection seeming they already have Kulikov and Gudbranson. Huberdeau has looked solid at wing, so they might not want to mess with that. Basically, I'm predicting we end up with Seth Jones. There are plenty of other quality number 1C in next two drafts... (Reinhart and McDavid!)

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
You still gotta take BPA. Drouin IMO has 100+ point upside (with a strong chance to reach it), which would adequately replace Iginla's production. Jarome never hit 100 points but I think Drouin can. Plus it's better to get an offensive replacement for Jarome on the year that he leaves, than get the #1 C he always needed, as soon as he left, because that would just be sad.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You still gotta take BPA. Drouin IMO has 100+ point upside (with a strong chance to reach it), which would adequately replace Iginla's production. Jarome never hit 100 points but I think Drouin can. Plus it's better to get an offensive replacement for Jarome on the year that he leaves, than get the #1 C he always needed, as soon as he left, because that would just be sad.

Pretty much this, with one exception. That being Seth Jones. If the Flames have say 1st pick (won the lotto, or sucked the big one down the stretch) do they try and trade down to the #2/3 pick?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Pretty much this, with one exception. That being Seth Jones. If the Flames have say 1st pick (won the lotto, or sucked the big one down the stretch) do they try and trade down to the #2/3 pick?

Are you suggesting we take Jones, or trade down if the 2nd pick is taking Jones? Because I'd be down with the latter, if it was certain.

I've only seen Jones at the WJC, personally I was very impressed with his physical toolbox, but equally concerned with some of his brutal turnovers, especially when he was under pressure. I wonder if he's not just a better version of Dion Phaneuf. Defense is largely mental and I saw too many red flags in my limited viewing for me to be comfortable taking the guy over someone like Drouin.

And personally I think Drouin has a very good chance (I would bet on it) of being a better player than any of Edmonton's 1st picks. He's through with roofs with both his playmaking and his goal scoring; and he can score goals by sniping corners, or with pure dangles. You can't get more versatile offense than that. He's got a ridiculous backhand as he showed at the WJC. He's like Giroux, but a better skater, and probably better hands too. A surefire superstar IMO, barring injury. Calgary has to get him. They can solve the center issues elsewhere. It's not even that urgent anyway since Iginla won't be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad