Who would you have? Drouin or Ehlers?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It's close. Admittedly I haven't watched much Tampa this year and the homer side of things make me want to say Ehlers but it's a coin flip to me.
What does Tampa have to do with this?

I agree though, flip a coin. I’d favour Ehlers if I had to pick but both guys are dynamic offensive talents.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
People ignore situation FAR too often when evaluating players. Ehlers is a great player, but I'd still take Drouin. Swap situations and Drouin would do at least as well as Ehlers, and I'm not sure Ehlers could handle being THE guy on a team (don't think Drouin should be either, but I think he's handling it better than Ehlers would). Also a convenient time for a bump.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
People ignore situation FAR too often when evaluating players. Ehlers is a great player, but I'd still take Drouin. Swap situations and Drouin would do at least as well as Ehlers, and I'm not sure Ehlers could handle being THE guy on a team (don't think Drouin should be either, but I think he's handling it better than Ehlers would). Also a convenient time for a bump.
and you concluded this after 6 games

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
That is so true. Drouin would do miracle on Scheifele and Wheeler wing. Ehlers is also a very special players though... Personally, I can't chose yet, but context sure is helping Ehlers.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
and you concluded this after 6 games
I think it's too early for any of these conversations, but people always need to consider context. For example, I live in Southern Ontario and I'm a Leafs and Avs fan. My friends are always asking me what's wrong with the Avs, and it's a combination of culture, ownership & coaching mostly. If you swap coaches of the Leafs and Avs, you would see far different results. Of course, players are accountable to a point but they don't control how much PP time they get or their linemates really. Drouin with Schiefele or Laine would rack up the points. Ehlers being forced to center the top line in Montreal would be in tough. Situations matter big time.

Reactions: TychoFan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Drouin's had enough time with Stamkos that the whole situational argument doesn't matter here. Also, for the spectacular talent that he's touted as, he wasn't able to make himself invaluable to the team.

I'd go with Ehlers.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I like Ehlers and i like that he's in a better position to succeed (numbers wise) but would give the slightest edge to Drouin.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think it's too early for any of these conversations, but people always need to consider context. For example, I live in Southern Ontario and I'm a Leafs and Avs fan. My friends are always asking me what's wrong with the Avs, and it's a combination of culture, ownership & coaching mostly. If you swap coaches of the Leafs and Avs, you would see far different results. Of course, players are accountable to a point but they don't control how much PP time they get or their linemates really. Drouin with Schiefele or Laine would rack up the points. Ehlers being forced to center the top line in Montreal would be in tough. Situations matter big time.
I know what you are trying to say but drouin played with some pretty good players last year and ehlers did get more points albeit playing in a few more game. 64-53. but ehlers is a full year younger. its close its always been close but I believe ehlers is a little more of a game breaker with his shot and speed.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
Drouin's had enough time with Stamkos that the whole situational argument doesn't matter here. Also, for the spectacular talent that he's touted as, he wasn't able to make himself invaluable to the team.

I'd go with Ehlers.

LOL Drouin doesn't play with Stamkos anymore.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Drouin takes the step as a center and score around 60-70 points I pick him, otherwise it is Ehlers..

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I think Drouin has had plenty of chances to produce in a similar if not better situation than Ehlers in Tampa. So far he definitely hasn't lived up to his draft position.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A player's success is massively dependent on his situation: that is to say surroundings, his team, the organization, and especially his teammates.

Which is why I prefer Ehlers. Not because he is intrinsically better than Drouin, but I much prefer his situation to Drouin's. Playing with Scheifele and Laine for at least several years will do him a world of good.

It's a shame that things did not work out for Drouin in Tampa. They seem like a good organization and he could have potentially had a spot on a line with Kucherov and Stamkos now. Imagine that. Would that have made him into a better player? I think so.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Per my post above, situational context is precisely why I would take Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad