Who would you have drafted?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That's true, have to try and embrace the kid ya know.

I like him over most who went in that 20-30 range. Max Jones really intrigued me, but not great from a needs standpoint.

Frederic just feels like a safe guy to me. Would have went with Howden if I was going that route.

Totally agree with you on Kunin though. I think he's gonna be a beauty. Man, I like some of the young forwards Minny has.

I think all of us were like, "huh?" on the Cholowski pick at first. Now it is seeming like a typical Holland unorthodox, yet solid pick.

Frederic is a safe pick; big frame and a center. That's all I got. I chose off my very limited knowledge of the minors, which primarily stems from following college pucks. An armchair GM I am not. I do fancy myself a slightly above mediocre armchair NCAA scout, though:thumbu:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think all of us were like, "huh?" on the Cholowski pick at first. Now it is seeming like a typical Holland unorthodox, yet solid pick.

Frederic is a safe pick; big frame and a center. That's all I got. I chose off my very limited knowledge of the minors, which primarily stems from following college pucks. An armchair GM I am not. I do fancy myself a slightly above mediocre armchair NCAA scout, though:thumbu:
I think it was pretty shocking to go from having Chychrun and Fabbro available to picking Cholowski who I really hadn't known much about. But in the end he's probably exactly what I was hoping for. I was really looking for that sleeper pick that flies under the radar...ala Justin Faulk. Hronek could also be that diamond in the rough, very limited viewings for most teams I'm sure.

The whole point of looking for under the radar prospects though was the top ones being unavailable to us...which makes it such a gamble to do what they did.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The whole point of looking for under the radar prospects though was the top ones being unavailable to us...which makes it such a gamble to do what they did.

Yeah, kind of a gutsy call. Especially when a team with the track record with defenseman like Nashville takes Fabbro at #17.

Have to hope it works out in the long run. Very, very intrigued to see what Hronek does in the OHL next year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player from this draft.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, kind of a gutsy call. Especially when a team with the track record with defenseman like Nashville takes Fabbro at #17.

Have to hope it works out in the long run. Very, very intrigued to see what Hronek does in the OHL next year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player from this draft.

Wow, that's high praise! Didn't know he was that highly regarded, but having played with men in the Czech league, he does have some pretty good background coming in the OHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, that's high praise! Didn't know he was that highly regarded, but having played with men in the Czech league, he does have some pretty good background coming in the OHL.

Let me say that I'm not an expert on Hronek, not like I can watch Extraliga hockey, just more of a shot in the dark feeling. Seems like the kind of kid with skills who gets overlooked because he is playing limited minutes a night in a men's league.

Wright and Wings did say this:

Tyler Wright, the Red Wings director of amateur scouting, said of Hronek after the club selected him: "We had him extremely high. He's a very good skater, has very good hockey sense, a very good puck-mover. He can run a power play. He plays with a little bit of a bite. He's not the biggest guy, which is a little bit of a downside, but everything else he did well for us to not overlook."

Also believe right after he was drafted Wright said specifically they had a 1st round, or "top 30" grade on him. Have to see if I can find that quote. They may have been 30 picks apart, but I would guess the Wings had Cholowski and Hronek similarly ranked.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/07/red_wings_ink_2016_pick_filip.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad