Who would you have drafted?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After waiting for 5 years, I'm gonna say who would I have drafted at 16th overall, so I can bash Holland about trading that pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just like I would have drafted Olli Määttä with that Quincey pick.

It's so easy. ;)

Part of why I made this thread was to prevent this!

Can actually look back and see who people wanted. I track this for myself every year, it's fun IMO.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I would have drafted Chychrun but even this is hindsight. The reason is I saw how Holland used that money from the trade and it isn't even the UFAs, it was the pending UFA. I am fine with all the UFAs he signed, but the Helm contract is depressing.

In the end I am not super bitter about it, I like Cholowski, the trade was a trade I think we won by a large margin. Just have that one sticking point of we should have let Helm go.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Honestly, no idea. I don't think anyone other than true scouts have the data to make this decision. Through a TV or computer screen, it's all vibe in my opinion. And psych-wise, we have so many pitfalls when it comes to favoritism and even more when it comes to confirmation bias that the real scouts probably have a better objective system than we do (just in terms of pseudo-intellectual property.) Probably leads to a better average talent find (but fewer outliers). Ultimately, I just don't think that any one of us pays adequate attention to the choices for us to know better.

I understand the topic and get the Dineen/Clague/Green/et al presumptions but I'd actually be more interested in knowing the track records of each about that pushed for each pick and the determining my choices from there. There's no doubt in my mind that some scouts likely have goodwill based on a token shrewd pick that they're still living off of while smarter bodies should be influencing their choices.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I really liked Fabbro, so probably him. But honestly had zero knowledge of Cholowski, and based on what I've seen and heard of him since the draft I really like the pick.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I wanted Kunin in the 1st and had no backup plan. Seeing the names in our draft range I would have gone with Trent Frederic. Last year I wanted Colin White in the 1st.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seeing the names in our draft range I would have gone with Trent Frederic.

I would have hated that pick.

Here is what the Bruins Amateur of Director of Scouting had to say about the pick:
“[Frederic] is not going to be a top-two-line guy, we know that,” Bruins director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky told reporters at the draft, according to Steve Conroy of the Boston Herald. “But he has some jam. He plays hard with the penalty minutes. We were fortunate to get him.

Yeah, not really what I'm looking for from a first rounder....

Only other guy I would have wanted over Cholowski in the 20-30 range is Rubtsov, or maybe Borgstrom.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/...rederic-first-round-admit-third-line-grinder/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
vasi/mrazek have pretty nice trade value right now. maybe not määttä level but right behind.

Nothing that could land a good young defenseman. Probably just draft picks. Seems to be the reoccurring theme there.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why does that sting? Do you think Vasilevsky is significantly better than Mrazek?
You wouldn't rather have Vasilevsky than Quincey? I'm saying, we could have done a ton better for the asset value. I think an ongoing theme this season is the Wings' pro scouting is weak, and they do a poor job of identifying who can be successful in Detroit. This leads to them overselling certain players, and the front office makes bad moves in order to land those guys. Quincey is a great example of that. He absolutely wasn't worth what they thought he was, and it burned them.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Like we need another goalie? Let's just not take goalies in the 1st round.
I think we kinda do need another goalie. Then we could afford to trade Howard and retain. Mrazek and Vasilievsky would be a dream tandem.

Problem is, the Wings are doing a surprisingly poor job of developing a backup. Coreau is still pretty spotty, and they've all but penciled him in. They've put an awful lot of assets into that position to just now be coming away with a guy they signed as a UFA. Once again, poor scouting, poor asset management. It's like a running theme.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
You wouldn't rather have Vasilevsky than Quincey? I'm saying, we could have done a ton better for the asset value. I think an ongoing theme this season is the Wings' pro scouting is weak, and they do a poor job of identifying who can be successful in Detroit. This leads to them overselling certain players, and the front office makes bad moves in order to land those guys. Quincey is a great example of that. He absolutely wasn't worth what they thought he was, and it burned them.

GM's make mistakes. Usually the fan base doesn't scream bloody murder off the bat, but when they do and end up right....

I think we kinda do need another goalie. Then we could afford to trade Howard and retain. Mrazek and Vasilievsky would be a dream tandem.

Problem is, the Wings are doing a surprisingly poor job of developing a backup. Coreau is still pretty spotty, and they've all but penciled him in. They've put an awful lot of assets into that position to just now be coming away with a guy they signed as a UFA. Once again, poor scouting, poor asset management. It's like a running theme.

...I agreed. They need to start hitting in the draft more, and moving assets that don't fill a need.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

There are cheap UFA backup goalies in free agency every year. Coreau is in line to be the backup next year and should be fine. Don't need two starting goalies, or eventually you have pay like you do have them.

And even regardless of all this, let's stick to drafting goalies in rounds 3-7.

Hell, starting goalies aren't even all that expensive. Look at what Bishop and Dubbyk cost. It's a low priority for me.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I would have hated that pick.

Here is what the Bruins Amateur of Director of Scouting had to say about the pick:

Yeah, not really what I'm looking for from a first rounder....

Only other guy I would have wanted over Cholowski in the 20-30 range is Rubtsov, or maybe Borgstrom.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/...rederic-first-round-admit-third-line-grinder/

You wanted Clague or Girard over Cholo, but you've warmed to that pick. Who knows how any of these guys will turn out. I'm pretty sure Frederic is doomed being picked by Bahstin, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You wanted Clague or Girard over Cholo, but you've warmed to that pick. Who knows how any of these guys will turn out. I'm pretty sure Frederic is doomed being picked by Bahstin, though.

That's true, have to try and embrace the kid ya know.

I like him over most who went in that 20-30 range. Max Jones really intrigued me, but not great from a needs standpoint.

Frederic just feels like a safe guy to me. Would have went with Howden if I was going that route.

Totally agree with you on Kunin though. I think he's gonna be a beauty. Man, I like some of the young forwards Minny has.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think I'd change a thing. I think this draft could pay huge dividends. But, time will tell. They must have felt Chychrun was more of a Schenn than an Ekblad. Cholowski and Hronek both have a lot of upside and the move could prove brilliant imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad