Who would you have drafted?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I spent a lot of time researching this draft, so I thought it would be fun to put down who we all would have taken and bump it in the future and look either really smart, or (more likely) laugh at ourselves.

I do this for the NFL draft every year, and actually have tracked it for the last 7-8 drafts, and enjoy looking back on it.

So, for me

20- German Rubtsov
46- Kale Clague (really hard between Girard and Clague, but love Clague's skating)
53- Luke Green
107- Noah Gregor (tempted to just trust Hakan's pick, but really like this kid)
137- Jordan Sambrook (good job Wings, probably my favorite pick)
167- Dmitry Sokolov
197- Mattias Elfstrom (have to have at least 1 Hakan pick, and this seems like the one to keep)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm fine with every other pick

I just wish we had fabbro or chychrun. I would have drafted rubstov in the first

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
20 - German Rubtsov
46 - Givani Smith, actually really like this pick so I'll keep it.
53 - Cliff Pu
107 - Jacob Moverare
137 - Jordan Sambrook, another one I'm happy with.
167 - Dmitry Sokolov
197 - Ty Ronning

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Here's my attempt at my draft excluding Kenny's picks. I like the Cholowski and Sambrook selections the most.

20- German Rubtsov
46- Kale Clague
53- Cam Dineen
107- Noah Gregor
137- Dimitri Sokolov
167- David Quenneville
197- Jake Ryczek

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here's my attempt at my draft excluding Kenny's picks. I like the Cholowski and Sambrook selections the most.

20- German Rubtsov
46- Kale Clague
53- Cam Dineen
107- Noah Gregor
137- Dimitri Sokolov
167- David Quenneville
197- Jake Ryczek

You don't have to change every pick. I kept some and changed some.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I never heard of any of the players the Wings drafted. But what I see of them now, they seem solid.

I am liking Tyler Wright as a scout here. I have been thinking it is time for Hakan Andersson to retire or move on. I think he's done.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Would have preferred Chychurn or Fabbro, but since we were able to move Datsyuks contract, I would have taken Rubtsov at 20. Ohh well, the Cholowski pick seems to be growing on me after seeing some footage and reading more about him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i feel like DRW could have gotten away with both Rubtsov (1st rd) and Cholowski (early 2nd, might require a trade up). Oh well.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would have happily eaten the Datsyuk cap hit and taken Chychrun at 16.

But their business model isn't compatible with that, so I dunno.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I'm happy with our draft. I probably would have taken
Rubtsov
Fox
Allard
Or a different tough direction would be
Jones
G smith
Whoever

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I would have taken Rubstov at 20 and Fox at 46. I think Smith would have been there at 53, so I'd take him there. I also would have taken Sokolov at 167, but that's a preference thing. Not a big deal.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Honestly don’t know much about the draft so I can’t answer, would have been nice to get Pu and Day as they intrigued me but happy with the draft nonetheless

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
You don't have to change every pick. I kept some and changed some.

I know I just wanted to add another element and if not just switch out the first and fifth round. I would have gone drastically defense heavy hoping to land some potential top 4. The most difficult was the second round since some quality value was sitting there for defenseman.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I love the second round pick. I think it's going to be a pick that we look back on fondly. Dude has potential to be a fan favorite in the likes of a McCarty or maltby or such. We haven't had that really in forever.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
20 - Dennis Cholowski (LHD) or Lucas Johansen (LHD)
46 - Adam Fox (RHD) or Cam Dineen (LHD)
53 - Filip Hronek (RHD)
107 - Noah Gregor (C)
137 - Jordan Sambrook (RHD)
167 - David Bernhardt (LHD)[/I] or Dean Stewart (RHD)]
197 - Mattias Elfstrom (LW/C) or Igor Shvyryov (C) or Simon Stransky (LW)

Five defensemen and two forwards.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
20 - Dennis Cholowski (D)
46 - Kale Clague (D) (fine with Smith too)
53 - Cliff Pu (F)
107 - Otto Koivula (F)
137 - Jordan Sambrook (D)
167 - Vasili Glotov (F)
197 - Igor Shvyrev (F) (or Elfström, gotta trust Håkan)

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not a scout, I really can't complain just after the draft. Only time will tell. Glad we picked several d-men who all have good upside and are described positively in terms of skating/smarts/puck-movement.

Drafting Rubtsov in the 1st round though? After you've just gotten into a big mess because your russian star left for the KHL? After you've just been chasing Radulov with no success? When you picked a russian C last year too? When your 3 biggest needs are #1 d-man, #2 d-man and #3 d-man? Nah. I really like the Cholowski pick on paper and would have been upset if we picked a forward.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not a scout, I really can't complain just after the draft. Only time will tell. Glad we picked several d-men who all have good upside and are described positively in terms of skating/smarts/puck-movement.

Drafting Rubtsov in the 1st round though? After you've just gotten into a big mess because your russian star left for the KHL? After you've just been chasing Radulov with no success? When you picked a russian C last year too? When your 3 biggest needs are #1 d-man, #2 d-man and #3 d-man? Nah. I really like the Cholowski pick on paper and would have been upset if we picked a forward.

I wanted a defenseman in the first round as well. But with Chychrun, Fabbro, and Stanely going in picks 16-19 I'm not sure he best option was taking a defenseman at 20.

If I wanted a defenseman I would have stayed at 16 and taken Chychrun or Fabbro.

Clague is actually very similar to Cholowski, IMO.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I would have picked jones, sean day, and maybe mete if the last two were available when we picked later. Not a fan of drafting all these "projects". Specially for first round guys. I could see jones being like a shanny (high end) or Dallas Drake with offense that this team needs. Interested to see how Smith from OS progresses. Would lose a Wayne Simmonds type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad